THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM MISCELLANEOUS FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Other Topics  Hop To Forums  Miscellaneous Topics    GREAT SCOTT! I could sell two books and get a custom rifle (almost)

Moderators: Canuck
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

GREAT SCOTT! I could sell two books and get a custom rifle (almost) Login/Join 
one of us
Picture of LongDistanceOperator
posted
Well, not a double gun or anything like that. I'm talking benchrest-quality hunting rifle.

I have a copy of Harold Vaughn's "Rifle Accuracy Facts" stashed away somewhere. I don't feel like digging around for it, so I figured I'd grab one off eBay for 10 bucks or so. No. Amazon has it for US $228 to $779. Eeker I did a little more searching and saw that the the reloading manual published by Precision Shooting goes for up to FOURTEEN HUNDRED DOLLARS Eeker I was just thumbing through it earlier tonight. tu2

Wow. Maybe I need to make a trip to Kinko's. Eeker

Posts: 7480 | Location: near Austin, Texas, USA | Registered: 15 December 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I noticed the same thing. I loaned a friend my Rifle Accuracy Facts. It was slow returning so I went on ABE Books to check price. $400!!!!

I called my friend and told him to send me the book or $400. (I have my book back.) Wonder what other surprises are on my shelves.

Posts: 2827 | Location: Seattle, in the other Washington | Registered: 26 April 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
are they getting that sort of cash for them, or just asking prices?

I have one of the very rare signed by Elmer Keith, in my presence, copies of "Safari". The story he told me was that there were less than 400 copies ever printed.

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of LongDistanceOperator
posted Hide Post
I would guess they are getting those prices, at least on the lower end. One of the reviews on Amazon was from a guy who lost his copy of Rifle Accuracy Facts and said it was worth $300 to replace it.

Your Elmer Keith book could be worth a lot. While looking at some of the message board results on the Google search for RAF, I saw someone who wished he had bought Keith's "Hell, I Was There" when it was in print. I remember that title in my dad's Outdoor Life or Field & Stream magazine book club ads as a kid.

...I just did a quick search. AbeBooks has 3 or 4 signed copies for $350 to $625. Just my opinion...keep it. He signed it for you, and you won't get him to sign another copy. It's a connection to a different time. What could $350 buy to replace that?

Posts: 7480 | Location: near Austin, Texas, USA | Registered: 15 December 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of NormanConquest
posted Hide Post
I must admit that the prices are always what the market will bear.Jeff Cooper signed several for me as well Bill Jordan + several I have bought over the years.As I have mentioned here before,I found in an anique store several years ago a complete original 17 volume set of Richard Burtons translation of the Arabian Nights. Only 1000 copies printed circa 1880.My copy's # is 6X. Just for grinns pull it up on E bay,etc. + see if you can find a complete set.Along with the others that seem so rare now,like Brody's on the L.C. Smith,the Mauser book,who would have ever dreamed that they would go so high.I have no idea the monetary value of my 1st edition of Bell Of Africa.

Never mistake motion for action.

Posts: 17357 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 11 March 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have an autographed Harold Vaughan book, autographed Ken Howell cartridge book, John Lacy's 25 years of Remington 700, Jim Carmichel gave me his Do It Yourself Gunsmithing. Jim had it on his work bench and it ain't brand new. I have quite a few books as I am an avid reader. I have not searched values. I did get one of Jim's autographed leather bound new books at the DSC in January.
I probably need to check what I have and start selling them.

Posts: 8959 | Location: Poetry, Texas | Registered: 28 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of NormanConquest
posted Hide Post
Don't sell Carmichael's DIY gunsmithing,you will regret it. That is one good book packed with knowledge;besides it has history with you.

Never mistake motion for action.

Posts: 17357 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 11 March 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Don't plan on selling it. Thanks

Posts: 8959 | Location: Poetry, Texas | Registered: 28 November 2004Reply With Quote