Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Green Leader has died Login/Join 
One of Us
posted
I'm not sure whether this is the correct place to post this, but I thought that many AR members, especially those with an interest in Rhodesian military history, might find this interesting.

It was reported in one of the South African newspapers today that Chris Dixon, former Rhodesian Air Force Canberra bomber pilot, died of cancer in Harare yesterday. Chris Dixon was the leader of the Canberra formation (Green Section) that spearheaded the Rhodesian attack on the insurgent base at Westlands Farm near Lusaka, Zambia, in 1978. He was also the man who had the very well-known radio conversation with the rather baffled air traffic controller at Lusaka International Airport during the course of the raid. For those who want to listen to the cockpit recording of what went on inside Chris Dixon's Canberra during the raid as well as his conversation with the ATC, go to Youtube and do a search for "Green Leader". The soundclip is about seven minutes long and makes for very interesting listening.

Chris Dixon stayed on in Zim after the war and worked for a local airline until his retirement.

RIP Squadron Leader Dixon.

Posts: 391 | Location: Australia | Registered: 14 May 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post

Posts: 789 | Location: Australia | Registered: 24 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
RIP Green Leader may God be with you

Posts: 3818 | Location: kenya, tanzania,RSA,Uganda or Ethophia depending on day of the week | Registered: 27 May 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
Another brave man so many of us in America have never heard of. It's hell finding out at 58 just what a bloody sheltered life you've led!

There is hope, even when your brain tells you there isn’t.
– John Green, author

Posts: 16376 | Location: Sweetwater, TX | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
I believe that the raid/attack was discussed in Ian Smith's book, "The Great Betrayal". RIP. A true Rhodesian patriot. tu2

One of Us
Picture of Scriptus
posted Hide Post
May the sky be forever blue and may the sun always be on your six.

Posts: 3297 | Location: South of the Equator. | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of retreever
posted Hide Post
The American press could not give a rat's ass about the fight for freedom back then.

Mike

Michael Podwika... DRSS bigbores and hunting www.pvt.co.za " MAKE THE SHOT " 450#2 Famars

Posts: 6767 | Location: Wyoming, Pa. USA | Registered: 17 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v...uMgE&feature=related

The wings of eagles fly high to save and protect all kinds of nations, he protected his . RIP .

was mr Rigby before a pc crash

Posts: 158 | Location: Kristiansand, Norway | Registered: 05 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
RIP Green Leader-May your deeds be remembered long after you have departed.

We seldom get to choose
But I've seen them go both ways
And I would rather go out in a blaze of glory
Than to slowly rot away!

Posts: 1370 | Location: Shreveport,La.USA | Registered: 08 November 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jorge
posted Hide Post
Fly high sir, and touch the hand of God.. jorge

USN (ret)
DRSS Verney-Carron 450NE
Cogswell & Harrison 375 Fl NE
Sabatti Big Five 375 FL Magnum NE
DSC Life Member
NRA Life Member

Posts: 7143 | Location: Orange Park, Florida. USA | Registered: 22 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
This week We will dedicate a segment of High Caliber Radio to Chris Dixon, Green Leader, and the Westlands Farm Raid. The World should know that a brave man has passed. You can hear it at www.highcaliberradio.net at 1:05pm U.S. Central standard time.

Posts: 477 | Location: western arkansas | Registered: 11 July 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Current Link to the 7min YouTube Audio of "Green Leader"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v...so6Q&feature=related

If I provoke you into thinking then I've done my good deed for the day!
Those who manage to provoke themselves into other activities have only themselves to blame.

*We Band of 45-70er's*

35 year Life Member of the NRA

NRA Life Member since 1984

Posts: 4601 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: 21 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
R.I.P.

We sure let the Rhodies down, all of them.

Posts: 41775 | Location: Crosby and Barksdale, Texas | Registered: 18 September 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for this post.
I was there in '78. I still have my "Green Leader" T-shirt, which were being sold all over the country after the raid. Nobody stateside has a clue what that was all about.

R.I.P. Chris....

Posts: 953 | Location: Florida | Registered: 17 March 2005Reply With Quote