Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

bikers? Login/Join 
One of Us
posted
dragon and i are comptemplating buying a 3 wheeler trike for gas saving and for fun. i used to ride a street legal dirt bike back in the day and loved it. hard to describe to someone who's never ridden a motorcycle what its like. anyways, a trike as i don't wanna be holding it up at stop lights etc. would appreciate any advice from those that know about what to look for and to stay away from. new vs used etc. thanks

Posts: 1532 | Location: south of austin texas | Registered: 25 November 2011Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
John, can’t tell you anything about a trike, but here in Alamo and Otero County, ATVs are street legal except on federal highways. Sure see a lot of them.

There is hope, even when your brain tells you there isn’t.
– John Green, author

Posts: 16416 | Location: Sweetwater, TX | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I used to love motorcycles. I handle a whole lot of trucking accidents now and wouldn't ride a bike if you paid me. You can do everything right and still get killed in an instant.

Posts: 10036 | Location: Houston, Texas | Registered: 26 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of NormanConquest
posted Hide Post
Too true. My eldest son (who is a bike rider) bought me a Harley Electro-Glide (1200 CC), I told him I did,not want it. my riding days are way in the past. Regardless of anything else, if I had an accident; even minor + there is no such thing as a MINOR motorcycle accident, then I would be laid up + I would be out of business. Also had a friend that was a nurse in Brackenridge in the head trauma unit + when I mentioned the bike was immediately informed how many horror stories abound in that section that involved motorcycle accidents. I have fond memories of riding + I'll leave it at that.

Never mistake motion for action.

Posts: 17357 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 11 March 2013Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
dragon and i are comptemplating buying a 3 wheeler trike for gas saving and for fun

Fun yes gas savings not so much. Honda gold wings seem to be in the low 30's

A good small car as good of mileage.

Posts: 19396 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
yea, i know. no ones ever been killed or hurt in a 4 wheel vehicle. getting up in the mornings dangerous.
we live in a small rural part of texas and want it for exploring the back roads in the country. and occassionally going grocery shopping 8 miles away.
we hardly ever drive my tundra anymore thanks to brandon and his war on americas energy. her toyota highlander gets excellent gas mileage long as i keep the oil changed and the K&N air filter cleaned out.

Posts: 1532 | Location: south of austin texas | Registered: 25 November 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Ride your motorcycle in Houston traffic, bumper to bumper going 70 mph, and half of the drivers texting or surfing the web. See how long you survive.

I used to drive a motorcycle, for more than a quarter century. I can't count the number of times I had idiot car drivers enter my lane, with me in it. Can't count the number of near collisions because some damn fool 4 wheeler crossed the road right in front of me, though the idiot was in stopped at in front of a stop sign. Motorcycles don't register with four wheelers. I am God Damn lucky I have fast reactions, and that I could see the idiot driver's face. Stupid bastards would look my way, than the other, and be looking at the other direction as they pulled out. I know two people who T boned a car that sailed through the intersection in front of them. One is totally F'd up, lots of broken bones, pelvis, collar bone, etc. I did see one accident where it was apparent the car turned in front of a motorcycle who had the right of way.

The children of the those fools are now driving and texting on their cell phones.

You can survive collisions in cars that will turn you into a pile of red meat and fur on a motorcycle.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
ok.....i'll drive a trike in houston in traffic (not) if you will ACTUALLY READ what i wrote about where i live and where the trike will be ridden before you just have to sound off trying to be relevant to the conversation.

One of Us
Picture of chas257
posted Hide Post
The wife rides a Can-Am Spyder and loves it.

Posts: 242 | Location: Lake Linden Mi | Registered: 18 January 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Aspen Hill Adventures
posted Hide Post
Years ago a co-worker and his wife were touring on their bike and someone pulled out of their driveway right in front of them. He died. She was severely injured and remained so. Rural road.

Even with headlights pointed at drivers eyes apparently it is easy to miss a motorcycle.

~Ann

Posts: 19169 | Location: The LOST Nation | Registered: 27 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I drive very defensively on my MC.

Has made me a better bigger vehicle driver.

I a firm believer in the gross tonnage and lug nut theory.

The vehicle that weighs more and has more lug nuts always wins no matter how much right away you have.

A lot of two wheel vehicle operators deny this.

Posts: 19396 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by john c.:
ok.....i'll drive a trike in houston in traffic (not) if you will ACTUALLY READ what i wrote about where i live and where the trike will be ridden before you just have to sound off trying to be relevant to the conversation.

If you are buying an off road three wheel ATV, that is different from a motorcycle trike.

Going to tell you, three wheel ATV's turn over all the time. Very dangerous and that is why ATV's are primarily 4 wheel.