Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Business Practices Login/Join 
One of Us
posted
Recently purchased a rifle from gunbroker. In addition to price the seller (a dealer) indicated there would be a $35 shipping charge.
Since the dealer was only about 40 miles away I asked if there was any problem picking up the rifle in person. His response was "no problem at all".
After inspecting the rifle I completed the paperwork. He went into his office and returned in a few minutes. I handed him the agreed upon price and was told there was a $20 paperwork charge.
I indicated that I felt this should have been pointed out to me when I contacted him.
He indicated that since I would have had to pay a dealer at the other end to handle the paperwork this was appropriate since he had to do the forms and that I was obviously ignorant of the how-things-work in the firearms business.
Am I out of line thinking that this was inappropriate or is this the way of the world?

Posts: 312 | Location: Alaska to Kalispell MT | Registered: 06 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of PSmith
posted Hide Post
My various FFL holders usually charged me more like $5 to $50 for the paperwork for doing a transfer, but certainly not for a gun I bought from them.

Paul Smith
SCI Life Member
NRA Life Member
DSC Member
Life Member of the "I Can't Wait to Get Back to Africa" Club
DRSS
I had the privilege to fire E. Hemingway's WR .577NE, E. Keith's WR .470NE, & F. Jamieson's WJJ .500 Jeffery
I strongly recommend avoidance of "The Zambezi Safari & Travel Co., Ltd." and "Pisces Sportfishing-Cabo San Lucas"

"A failed policy of national defense is its own punishment" Otto von Bismarck

Posts: 2545 | Location: The 'Ham | Registered: 25 May 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of cal30 1906
posted Hide Post
Sounds like he didnt get what he had hoped for money wise on the auction.

I have had worse happen to me here where I live.

Cal30

If it cant be Grown it has to be Mined! Devoted member of Newmont mining company Underground Mine rescue team. Carlin East,Deep Star ,Leeville,Deep Post ,Chukar and now Exodus Where next? Pete Bajo to train newbies on long hole stoping and proper blasting techniques.
Back to Exodus mine again learning teaching and operating autonomous loaders in the underground. Bringing everyday life to most individuals 8' at a time!

Posts: 3070 | Location: Northern Nevada & Northern Idaho | Registered: 09 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
Sorry to hear of that! You need to find a dealer who will charge you a flat rate. Usually $20.00 and if you become friends that price drops to 10-15.

I would call your dealer's actions, unethical!

Rusty
We Band of Brothers!
DRSS, NRA & SCI Life Member

"I am rejoiced at my fate. Do not be uneasy about me, for I am with my friends."
----- David Crockett in his last letter (to his children), January 9th, 1836
"I will never forsake Texas and her cause. I am her son." ----- Jose Antonio Navarro, from Mexican Prison in 1841
"for I have sworn upon the altar of god eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man." Thomas Jefferson
Declaration of Arbroath April 6, 1320-“. . .It is not for glory, nor riches, nor honours that we are fighting, but for freedom - for that alone, which no honest man gives up but with life itself.”

Posts: 9797 | Location: Missouri City, Texas | Registered: 21 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I've never had a dealer THAT I WAS BUYING A GUN FROM charge me for paperwork.

Aim for the exit hole

Posts: 4348 | Location: middle tenn | Registered: 09 December 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Seller is certainly not my kind of dealer. I had a shop for 30 years. If I had the attitude of your seller, I doubt if I would have lasted over five.

Support the Rocky Mountain Elk Foundation

Posts: 272 | Location: Central KY | Registered: 01 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Cazador humilde
posted Hide Post
He sounds pretty arrogant to me. Lots (but not all) of those types in "the firearms business" - terrible customer service with a tough-guy attitude. Probably couldn't work for someone else. Good news is, he'll probably be out of business soon.

Posts: 1278 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: 31 May 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
WT?

I hope you have put this story on the feedback section of GB for all to see!

I think I would have walked w/my money and left him w/the gun!

Robert

If we can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people, under the pretense of taking care of them, they must become happy. Thomas Jefferson, 1802

Posts: 1207 | Location: Tomball or Rocksprings with Namibia on my mind! | Registered: 29 March 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I do appreciate the input. Thank you.
There were two comments here that I think best reflect my feelings. First, I don't think he got as much as he had expected. For me it was a good buy even with the $20. Being misled by omission just soured things. Secondly, I don't think he'll last as a business if this is the way he runs things.
It's good to know I'm not totally ignorant.

Posts: 312 | Location: Alaska to Kalispell MT | Registered: 06 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Jarrod
posted Hide Post
He wouldn't get my business

"Science only goes so far then God takes over."

Posts: 3504 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: 07 July 2005Reply With Quote