THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM MISCELLANEOUS FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Other Topics  Hop To Forums  Miscellaneous Topics    Any archeologists/detectives in here?

Moderators: Canuck
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Any archeologists/detectives in here? Login/Join 
one of us
posted
Among some of my other collecting habits, I accumulate Am. Indian pottery, mostly modern, meaning in the last 100 years.
Every now and then I buy a Santa Clara or San Idlefonso (mostly black fired pottery) piece that has an illegible pencil signature on it. Usually this is from wear by moving it around on a table top, shelf, etc. Often I can see a bit or a word, or a few letters but not enough to read the whole thing. A typical signature might be something like "Madeline T. (then below that) Santa Clara Pueblo". It would be fun and potentially very profitable (some of the early artist's works sell in the 5 figures) if I could "read" these signature by some method. Any ideas?

xxxxxxxxxx
When considering US based operations of guides/outfitters, check and see if they are NRA members. If not, why support someone who doesn't support us? Consider spending your money elsewhere.

NEVER, EVER book a hunt with BLAIR WORLDWIDE HUNTING or JEFF BLAIR.

I have come to understand that in hunting, the goal is not the goal but the process.

Posts: 17099 | Location: Texas USA | Registered: 07 May 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
There are various photo tricks to help. Angled lighting for a start .Carefully putting chalk into the lettering would be the second trick. Hard to go into detail without actually having the item at hand.
Used to do some photo work and still remember some of the tricks. A photo of a black fur coat to get details of pocket and collar for a catalog was the trickiest. Black fur absorbs light like a sponge !!! Chalk was the only way.

one of us
Picture of reloaderman
posted Hide Post
I agree with Mete, take a digital picture of the object. There is soft wear out there that can change the lighting effects and light spectrum's that will bring out some amazing views. Some of this is even free if you look for it, I can't remember the name of it.

"Gimp" is one program (free)
Do a search for'munipulating color.'

Shovel ready.....
but hangin' on

Posts: 707 | Location: West Texas,USA | Registered: 20 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the tips, but you're talking to the wrong person when you talk about taking pics, software, etc. Confused I'll try to get my son to help.

xxxxxxxxxx
When considering US based operations of guides/outfitters, check and see if they are NRA members. If not, why support someone who doesn't support us? Consider spending your money elsewhere.

I have come to understand that in hunting, the goal is not the goal but the process.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
FWIW, there is a heck of a lot of literature out there on ceramics from the period you describe, but most is from the art world rather than archaeological literature. I know the stuff I see is a lot older and unsigned.

Some of the traders in Santa Fe might be able to point you towards the right sources.

You are talking some very nice ceramics, btw.

Chuck

Posts: 359 | Location: NW Montana | Registered: 18 February 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I own a fair amount of it, including a small Maria and Julian piece I bought on my first trip out west back in the 60s. This is not a new hobby, but I'm out of room, 99% of the pots are in boxes scattered here and there.

I'm thinking of buying a house in Santa Fe area. Any advice?

xxxxxxxxxx

one of us
posted Hide Post
There is a mesa a few miles south of Tres Pedras, that is LITTERED with ancient pottery shards....in case anyone is interested. I am unsure as to exactly how many miles.....somewhere between 3 and 8. There is a cut on the left side of the road, where the NM Highway Dept. places gravel for roadwork. The mesa is immediately above that pile of gravel.....and within a stone's throw of the highway.

Posts: 2097 | Location: Gainesville, FL | Registered: 13 October 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Alberta Canuck
posted Hide Post
If you are going to be picking up ANY old native american artifacts on federal land, particularly BLM land, just make sure you know in advance what is legal to take for yourself and what is not...particularly if you start finding either pottery or "points". (And that goes for bird [raptor] feathers too...)

Posts: 9685 | Location: Cave Creek 85331, USA | Registered: 17 August 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of D Humbarger
posted Hide Post
you might try a SHORTwave UV light & WEAR yellow glasses .Yellow shooting glasses work great; to look at the artifact in total darkness. Wear dark clothing when doing this. This is what I uae when examining artifacts for modern or recent tampering. DO NOT LOOK INTO THE SHORTWAVE UV! VERY BAD ON THE EYEBALLS.

Doug Humbarger
NRA Life member
Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club 72'73.
Yankee Station

Try to look unimportant. Your enemy might be low on ammo.

Posts: 8346 | Location: Jennings Louisiana, Arkansas by way of Alabama by way of South Carloina by way of County Antrim Irland by way of Lanarkshire Scotland. | Registered: 02 November 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Gatogordo:
I own a fair amount of it, including a small Maria and Julian piece I bought on my first trip out west back in the 60s. This is not a new hobby, but I'm out of room, 99% of the pots are in boxes scattered here and there.

I'm thinking of buying a house in Santa Fe area. Any advice?

Gato

IMHO the best place to look for a house in Sante fe is at Taos.

I grew up out there and Sante Fe is way overgrown. the Toas area still has some nice areas and isn't as crowded. You are a bit further from the Albuqueque Airport- that is main downside.

SSR

Posts: 6725 | Location: central Texas | Registered: 05 August 2010Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
CrossL:

Thanks for the advice, but my plans for buying a house and moving to that area have recently taken a major setback by the personal income tax rates of New Mexico. I'm still working on it, but unless I could find a place where I could rent part of it out so that someone could be there for security purposes while I was living somewhere else for more than 185 days a year it just isn't going to work out. I can't afford to leave a house full of art, even if it is not Picasso level art, empty for months at a time. It's really too bad, I have been in love with that area for nearly 50 years.

As you've mentioned, I've been looking at the outskirt areas for a place with at least 10 acres or more. I found at least a couple in the general direction of Abiqui that might work but I'm still working on the income tax problem.

xxxxxxxxxx

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Santa Fe is waaay expensive. Abiqiui is a good idea, and south towards Albuquerque or north towards Las Vegas gets a little more reasonable. Placitas is a bit more reasonable.

And burglary in NM is a huge problem.

Alberta Canuck is correct. Collecting on public land moves into felony territory very quickly.

Chuck

Posts: 359 | Location: NW Montana | Registered: 18 February 2007Reply With Quote