Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

A Hemingway observation Login/Join 
One of Us
posted
In WW 2 ,He wrote," When an Italian gets hit, you can judge the nature of his wounds by his cries. If it is a minor flesh wound he calls out 'Duce, Duce' but if it is serious, he calls out, 'Mama, Mama."

Posts: 4247 | Location: Austin,Texas | Registered: 08 April 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Another of interest of Hemingway + Mussolini; when Papa was still living in Paris + working for the press, he was invited along with several other reporters to interview the new leader, Benito Mussolini. All the reporters entered the room + waited while Il Duce was reading a book. All of the other reporters sent in their posts, + they were unanimous that Mussolini was a great man with intense powers of concentration. Hemingway wrote, "Well, my colleagues are mistaken. You see, I walked around behind Mussolini, + the book he was looking at was an English-Italian dictionary, UPSIDE DOWN! The man is a fool, + if I'm taken out + shot tomorrow, I will die knowing that I was shot by a fool."

Posts: 4247 | Location: Austin,Texas | Registered: 08 April 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I caught part of a very interesting Hemingway documentary by Ken Burns on PBS last night. I hope to see more. https://www.pbs.org/kenburns/hemingway/

Posts: 13782 | Location: Texas | Registered: 10 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I bought a copy of that from one of my PBS csataloges that I have not watched as my DVD player crapped at the same time + since we watch Roku + BBC, I have not replaced it. I'm sure it is good; all Ken Burne's other specials were.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
The documentary gets really sad, hard to watch as Hemingway cannot even verbalize a pre-written statement when accepting the Noble. He did not go to the ceremony because of his poor health.

The collapse was fast and far. Makes one realize how much more important your health is.

Posts: 10960 | Location: Somewhere above Tennessee and below Kentucky  | Registered: 31 July 2016Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
When I was working between semesters in strip pits, the old site Boss told me, “If you here a big bang and a bunch of guys cussing on the CB or with your ears, you can walk over and see what is going on. If you hear them praying, call the helicopter, and do not go look.”

Posts: 10960 | Location: Somewhere above Tennessee and below Kentucky  | Registered: 31 July 2016Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of BaxterB
posted Hide Post
The documentary is just OK in my book. Mostly repetitive stuff, except the way-too-deep-dive on Garden of Eden. His mental deterioration had much to due with his brain injuries, hemochromatosis, and of course booze.

I am most fascinated by his son Patrick. of his sons he seemed to be the most interested in making his own way.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
He was supposed to write JFK's inaugural speech, but sat for 2 weeks behind the typewriter + could not produce a word. His liver would have killed him eventually, but the mental shock therapy in its youth did the trick; oh + the Boss S/S, but I feel that the latter was the cause.

One of Us
Picture of BaxterB
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Norman Conquest:
He was supposed to write JFK's inaugural speech, but sat for 2 weeks behind the typewriter + could not produce a word. His liver would have killed him eventually, but the mental shock therapy in its youth did the trick; oh + the Boss S/S, but I feel that the latter was the cause.

That Boss was actually a WC Scott ;-).

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Moot point now, but the book "Hemingway's Guns" claimed it was a Boss + Mary had it cut up + buried (under what is now Adam West's [Batman] house). I am all for accuracy;where did you get your information?

One of Us
Picture of BaxterB
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Norman Conquest:
Moot point now, but the book "Hemingway's Guns" claimed it was a Boss + Mary had it cut up + buried (under what is now Adam West's [Batman] house). I am all for accuracy;where did you get your information?

To the contrary - Hemingway's Guns asserts it's a WC Scott - most likely THE WC Scott. Based on the scraps they inspected.

And I think I might know where the leg-o-mutton case might be for it if I can get my hands on it to do a more detailed inspection.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yes, Hemingway’s Guns explicitly rejects the Boss legend for the WC Scott Monte Carlo B Pigeon Gun.

I have the book upstairs if anyone wants the page numbers.

They produced the lock of a the gun that had been cut by a torch.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I stand corrected.