Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

What do the Jailbird Symbols Mean? Login/Join 
One of Us
posted
The ones that many members have in their sig lines that say "Free 500" with a little guy behind jail bars? I've been seeing these since I joined and have wondered ever since.

Posts: 179 | Location: Andromeda Galaxy | Registered: 02 March 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Steve Ahrenberg
posted Hide Post
popcorn

Formerly "Nganga"

Posts: 3388 | Location: Phoenix, Arizona | Registered: 26 April 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Aspen Hill Adventures
posted Hide Post
popcorn

~Ann

Posts: 19155 | Location: The LOST Nation | Registered: 27 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of LionHunter
posted Hide Post
It's easier to simply ignore that avatar. coffee

Mike
NRA Life
Sables Life
Mzuri
IPHA

"To be a Marine is enough."

Posts: 3577 | Location: Silicon Valley | Registered: 19 November 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Sevenxbjt
posted Hide Post
As much fun as cryptic answers are.....
He (500 grains) was a member that was banned by the owner of the site. I was not around for the theatrics but that is the jist of it.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Since everyone seems to be having fun with you... My attempt to stick to just the facts...

There was a guy who went by 500grains.

He was (to put it mildly) opinionated, and had rather non-PC attitudes. Additionally, he had a lot of friends here. He also was quite the experienced hunter who was willing to share his experience.

Unfortunately, he repeatedly made some statements that the mods and management found unacceptable and despite repeated warnings, refused to back down and got banned.

Posts: 10602 | Location: Minnesota USA | Registered: 15 June 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
500grains was a very active member here who got canned due to some hardheadedness over misbehavior. Was it racism that got him canned?

He is free to reincarnate here if he wishes,but apparently he does not care too, a point of honor or dishonor.

I can vouch for some dishonor on 500grains part, involving prevarications about me, though I am the same ethnicity as he.
But he is a lawyer, and I am not, so though a shark swimming in the sea might give him professional courtesy, some here do not!

One swims by the rules of "adult swim" according to DRG and Saeed here, or not at all.

Shakespeare: Henry VI, Part II, Act IV, Scene 2, Line 83:
Dick: "The first thing we do, let's kill all the lawyers."

Is it time to move this thread to miscellaneous yet?

Apparently Saeed bows to DRG on some things.
My unhappiness over ObamaCare resulted in me posting this funny as my signature line,
and that resulted in DRG taking my signature line function away, for more than a year now,
but still I persevere, a point of honor or dishonor?
I do not see this as racist. Just a primitive trying to control complex issues way beyond his understanding.

Posts: 28032 | Location: KY | Registered: 09 December 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Robert Wilde:
The ones that many members have in their sig lines that say "Free 500" with a little guy behind jail bars? I've been seeing these since I joined and have wondered ever since.

I thought it meant, "Free the Indy 500!"

dancing

Posts: 816 | Location: Whitlock, TN | Registered: 23 March 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RIP:
500grains was a very active member here who got canned due to some hardheadedness over misbehavior. Was it racism that got him canned?

He is free to reincarnate here if he wishes,but apparently he does not care too, a point of honor or dishonor.

I can vouch for some dishonor on 500grains part, involving prevarications about me, though I am the same ethnicity as he.
But he is a lawyer, and I am not, so though a shark swimming in the sea might give him professional courtesy, some here do not!

One swims by the rules of "adult swim" according to DRG and Saeed here, or not at all.

Shakespeare: Henry VI, Part II, Act IV, Scene 2, Line 83:
Dick: "The first thing we do, let's kill all the lawyers."

Is it time to move this thread to miscellaneous yet?

Apparently Saeed bows to DRG on some things.
My unhappiness over ObamaCare resulted in me posting this funny as my signature line,
and that resulted in DRG taking my signature line function away, for more than a year now,
but still I persevere, a point of honor or dishonor?
I do not see this as racist. Just a primitive trying to control complex issues way beyond his understanding.

Ron,
This is a poorly disguised attempt to get this thread moved......right?

Formerly "Nganga"

Posts: 3388 | Location: Phoenix, Arizona | Registered: 26 April 2010Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
bewildered

Posts: 15 | Location: AK | Registered: 01 January 2010Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Nganga:
Ron,
This is a poorly disguised attempt to get this thread moved......right?

It is attention-seeking, for sure.
Saeed?
DRG?

Posts: 28032 | Location: KY | Registered: 09 December 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted Hide Post
Dan may have been opinionated and at times politically incorrect but he knew more about big bores, double rifles and hunting dangerous game than 90% of the folks that post on this site, myself included.

Mike

Posts: 21212 | Registered: 03 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I am in 100% agreement with MJines.

Dan killed more elephants than most people ever see in Africa. He was a dedicated reloader and big bore enthusiast, and always shared his knowledge (and opinions)here. We have yet to replace the knowledge about all things big bore that left with him.
IMHO, AR needed him more than he needed AR and it is sad that he is gone.

Rich
DRSS

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Did this 500 grains fellow suffer from any sexual perversions? Confused

I remember hearing a rumor about a goat, not that I would repeat it. shame

one of us
Picture of JBrown
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MJines:
Dan may have been opinionated and at times politically incorrect but he knew more about big bores, double rifles and hunting dangerous game than 90% of the folks that post on this site, myself included.

How much actual DG hunting experience did he have? IIRC he went on one or two elephant hunts and shot several cow elephants and a buffalo or two.....

He did have a bunch of big bore experience, some of it even included shooting at game. I seem to remember a fiascio in which he needed about half a dozen shots from a 470 to put down a cow elk. He blamed it on the bullets not opening up. I thought that odd as many people kill really game cleanly using big bore solids....

And yes, 500grains was banned for repeatedly making inflammatory racist posts. Imagine someone coming to a party and repeatedly using the "N-word". Then when the host politely asks this person to stop using the "N-word", they scream at the top of their lungs, "N*****! N*****! N*****!!!!!"

That was Dan(500grains) for you.....

Jason

"You're not hard-core, unless you live hard-core."

Hunting in Africa is an adventure. The number of variables involved preclude the possibility of a perfect hunt. Some problems will arise. How you decide to handle them will determine how much you enjoy your hunt.

Just tell yourself, "it's all part of the adventure." Remember, if Robert Ruark had gotten upset every time problems with Harry
Selby's flat bed truck delayed the safari, Horn of the Hunter would have read like an indictment of Selby. But Ruark rolled with the punches, poured some gin, and enjoyed the adventure.

-Jason Brown

Posts: 6834 | Location: Nome, Alaska(formerly SW Wyoming) | Registered: 22 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
And yes, 500grains was banned for repeatedly making inflammatory racist posts. Imagine someone coming to a party and repeatedly using the "N-word". Then when the host politely asks this person to stop using the "N-word", they scream at the top of their lungs, "N*****! N*****! N*****!!!!!"

Jason,
So Dan was a racist but you obviously have no issue with RIP's feelings about Obama?

You then are the arbiter of what defines racism. Seems puritanical to me.

Steve

Formerly "Nganga"

One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JBrown:
quote:

How much actual DG hunting experience did he have? IIRC he went on one or two elephant hunts and shot several cow elephants and a buffalo or two.....

He shot seven elephant, that I know of. Curious, how many have you shot?

Mike

Posts: 21212 | Registered: 03 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Rub Line
posted Hide Post
I'm holding his Avatar for him. It wasn't his last Avatar but it was his best and most recognized Avatar. I will return it to him when he returns to AR.

-----------------------------------------------------

Do not answer a fool according to his folly, or you yourself will be just like him. Proverbs 26-4

National Rifle Association Life Member

Posts: 1992 | Location: WI | Registered: 28 September 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Aspen Hill Adventures
posted Hide Post
500 Grains is a very knowlegeable person and contributed a lot to my hunting successes.

~Ann

Posts: 19155 | Location: The LOST Nation | Registered: 27 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

Jason,
So Dan was a racist but you obviously have no issue with RIP's feelings about Obama?

Steve

How about PURILE?

Sounds like "browneye" has got a bad case of shit on the liver when it comes to Mr 500 Grains.

I have no idea if the rumors about the goat are true, (I can forgive him if they are, ha ha) but the guy sure knew a thing or two about big bore rifles and DG hunting.

one of us
Picture of JBrown
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

Jason,

Steve

How do you know how I feel about RIP's picture. The fact that I did not bother to take issue makes you think that I "have no issue"?

As far as I am concerned everyone(myself included) is racist, though to varying degrees. Some people choose to shove their views down everyone's throat. Others don't.

I don't believe I ever made any comments on Dan's racist stuff(it was pretty clearly racist). I don't make a habit of commenting on the personal beliefs of others(but I'm sure that I do from time to time).

I am not the arbiter of what defines racism, I was only pointing out why Dan was banned.

quote:
quote:
quote:

He shot seven elephant, that I know of. Curious, how many have you shot?

I have shot one elephant(bull) along with a lion and a couple of buffalo. I did it all without using a bigbore, so I don't have any experience with bigbore DG hunting.

I know Dan was well loved around here by many. I just thought he was a bit of a know it all long before he actually had hunted any DG. He went on his DG hunts(or DG hunt) near the end of his AR tenure, IIRC.

And he really went over the top with his antics right before he was banned.

Saeed and DGR usually don't ask for much from us. When they request that we act civil, or stop certain behaviors, it seems unreasonable to refuse.

I'm not saying that Dan was a bad guy, he did bring a lot to the table, he just did some really weird stuff before he was banned.

Maybe the AR political forum destroyed his mind. It wouldn't be the first time that has happened to a member here....
Wink

Jason

Hunting in Africa is an adventure. The number of variables involved preclude the possibility of a perfect hunt. Some problems will arise. How you decide to handle them will determine how much you enjoy your hunt.

Just tell yourself, "it's all part of the adventure." Remember, if Robert Ruark had gotten upset every time problems with Harry
Selby's flat bed truck delayed the safari, Horn of the Hunter would have read like an indictment of Selby. But Ruark rolled with the punches, poured some gin, and enjoyed the adventure.

-Jason Brown

Posts: 6834 | Location: Nome, Alaska(formerly SW Wyoming) | Registered: 22 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of JBrown
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by John Frederick:
How about PURILE?

Sounds like "browneye" has got a bad case of shit on the liver when it comes to Mr 500 Grains.

I don't know it the irony was intentional, but I smiled when I saw that you accused me of being "purile"(did you mean puerile?), then resorted to a sub-sophomoric pun on my last name. BTW, that is the first time anyone has cracked on my last name.
Big Grin

Jason

-Jason Brown

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Jason,
I see it as hypocritical as hell as a matter of fact. You brought Dans racial N***** N***** into it. RIP was the one who put the witchdoctor shite up before your post. So, you chose Dans racism over RIP's.

You also questioned Dans DG experience. I think Dans experience and knowledge are above reproach. You are a snit little twit that can't stand 500grains because he most likely pointed out your personal inadequacies and beat you like a drum whenever the mood dictated it.

I have made many, many friends on AR and only a handful of enemies. MOST of my enemies are people who had issues with Dan and carry that issue to his sphere of influence.

When I came back to AR as Nganga from my previous life as "Chip" I was castigated for my unending support of Drook. I, unlike you are loyal to the people I call my friends, even if that makes me unpopular. You will have 5 or less people in your life that would put their life on the line for you and you them. I choose to cherish those few, you can take the popular opinion and just go along to get along.

I'll take a stand, you can take a crap

Steve

Formerly "Nganga"

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Jason,

Secondly, I just got it from 500 himself that the actual count is 15 Jumbo's Wink

Formerly "Nganga"

one of us
Picture of JBrown
posted Hide Post
quote:
Jason,
I see it as hypocritical as hell as a matter of fact. You brought Dans racial N***** N***** into it. RIP was the one who put the witchdoctor shite up before your post. So, you chose Dans racism over RIP's.

B.S. Steve- I was answering the question that started this thread. No one asked about RIP's photo, they did ask about the circumstances of Dan's banning. I was giving an answer to that question.

You also questioned Dans DG experience. I think Dans experience and knowledge are above reproach. You are a snit little twit that can't stand 500grains because he most likely pointed out your personal inadequacies and beat you like a drum whenever the mood dictated it.

I was not questioning that Dan had hunted multiple DG animals, I knew he had, I was questioning wheather he had more than Mike and "90% of everyone else here." It was simply a question and if his experience is "above reproach" no one should have to take exception to it.

I believe Dan an I were at odds for the first time when I called B.S. when he blamed his bullets for failing when he has so much trouble killing a cow elk with a 470.

I believe he put me on ignore when I pointed out that it was a question of shot placement rather than bullet performance. It really irked him when I pointed out that his experience disproved his theory that bigger guns cure all ills.

I have made many, many friends on AR and only a handful of enemies. MOST of my enemies are people who had issues with Dan and carry that issue to his sphere of influence.

I don't think I have any enemies here. Sorry if my issuses with Dan(issuse put to rest almost a decade ago) make you and I enimies. I have actually enjoyed reading your post since your return....

When I came back to AR as Nganga from my previous life as "Chip" I was castigated for my unending support of Drook. I, unlike you are loyal to the people I call my friends, even if that makes me unpopular. You will have 5 or less people in your life that would put their life on the line for you and you them. I choose to cherish those few, you can take the popular opinion and just go along to get along.

I'm not sure that I understand. When have I shown that I am disloyal to my friends?

I'll take a stand, you can take a crap

??????

Steve

Steve
Please read what I wrote. I don't think I said anything that was untrue. I answered a question that was asked by the person that started this thread. Even if you are Dan's best friend, I really don't understand why you would be so upset by what I wrote.

Dan was always opinionated and could be abrasive. He and I did have at least one run in with each other. No problem there, that is what these forums about, right?

But regardless of Dan's value to this forum, he did seem to go a bit "feral" towards the end. It seemed like he was trying to get banned. I really don't see how anyone could disagree with that.

Anyway, I'm not here to make enemies. I would be happy to see Dan come back. It would take some humility for him to come back under another handle. Maybe he can come back as 50grains(is handle on Huntamerica, IIRC).

I would also be happy to share a campfire and swap stories with either of you.

Jason

-Jason Brown

one of us
Picture of JBrown
posted Hide Post
quote:
Jason,

Secondly, I just got it from 500 himself that the actual count is 15 Jumbo's Wink

Well either I was all screwed-up(very possible) or he has shot a few since his first safari in '02 or '03.

Tell him that that a-hole JBrown says hi and realizes that he misses the old debates.

I guess absence really does make the heart grow fonder.
Big Grin

It would be great to hear some of those stories.

Jason

-Jason Brown

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Jason,

No we are not enemies at all, I may have taken some aggression out on you from other people who hold me responsible for my friends actions.

I have had some PM wars and some open forum battles with guys I've never even spoken to or communicated with on the forum simply over who I choose to be friends with.

The point to my jumping in this last night really is, this entire forum (in my opinion) has gotten stale. Its critical mass has peaked and it is in decline. Posters of the past who made it really fun and exciting many have left.

The free and open exchange of experiences and even a few threads that were just for laughs are not seen any more. Do you remember some of the crap Drook and I pulled back a few years ago? Christ, Jason I laughed so hard sometimes I cried. Remember "Alternative lifestyles in the Bush" or "Capstick was a Fraud".

Those threads were well though out and meant to be fun and entertainment, for the most part they were taken as meant. Some guys just couldn't see the humor.

I go a week or two without even getting on AR sometimes now and even then the same old dull threads are still clinging to life support. I think the Return of 500 could save this forum.

Steve

Formerly "Nganga"

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

He did have a bunch of big bore experience, some of it even included shooting at game. I seem to remember a fiascio in which he needed about half a dozen shots from a 470 to put down a cow elk. He blamed it on the bullets not opening up. I thought that odd as many people kill really game cleanly using big bore solids....

That was Dan(500grains) for you.....

http://www.rbbigbores.com/uploads/AH_Jan2007.pdf
http://huntnetwork.net/modules...sin%20Mozambique.pdf
http://www.470mbogo.com/BigBoreCompendium/
http://huntnetwork.net/modules...e%20.585%20Nyati.pdf
http://www.shooter.co.za/470capstickdmc.html
http://bigfivehq.com/softs.pdf
http://huntnetwork.net/modules...me%2011%20No%201.pdf
http://www.huntersnetworks.com...e.php?article_id=151

one of us
Picture of JBrown
posted Hide Post
quote:

The free and open exchange of experiences and even a few threads that were just for laughs are not seen any more. Do you remember some of the crap Drook and I pulled back a few years ago? Christ, Jason I laughed so hard sometimes I cried. Remember "Alternative lifestyles in the Bush" or "Capstick was a Fraud".

Those threads were well though out and meant to be fun and entertainment, for the most part they were taken as meant. Some guys just couldn't see the humor.

What's funny about those threads is that we actually learned something. I remember the Capstick thread brought us closer to the truth: Capstick did hold a PH license or two and Boddington even came out and let slip that PHC began to believe his own shtick towards the end.

Feel free to inject some life back into the AH forum. It could use it.

Jason

-Jason Brown