THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM MISCELLANEOUS FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Other Topics  Hop To Forums  Miscellaneous Topics    Difference in shipping ammo "Legal" and Not!

Moderators: Canuck
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Difference in shipping ammo "Legal" and Not! Login/Join 
one of us
posted
$15 Big Grin

Shipped 4 boxes (20 rounds each) of ammo, 2 bags of brass (50 pcs. each) and a set of dies... from here in California to Alabama...

Could have put it in a medium USPS flat rate Priority Mail box, it would have easily fit, and shipped it for $10.95...

But wanting to do things legal like;

I go ahead and shipped it in a box about 8"x10"x7" weighing in at 13.8 pounds and label it correctly with the ORM-D Cartridge, Small Arms label and ship it UPS Ground,

and the cost is $25 and some change!

Yup, it cost to do things right! killpc

Phil

Posts: 1466 | Location: Southern California | Registered: 04 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bobby Tomek
posted Hide Post
Greyghost wrote:
quote:
go ahead and shipped it in a box about 8"x10"x7" weighing in at 13.8 pounds and label it correctly with the ORM-D Cartridge, Small Arms label and ship it USPS Ground,

I am guessing that is a typo and that you meant "UPS." Smiler

Bobby
Μολὼν λαβέ
The most important thing in life is not what we do but how and why we do it. - Nana Mouskouri

Posts: 9336 | Location: Shiner TX USA | Registered: 19 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Did you ship USPS, or UPS? Just curious if USPS would take it.

Support the Rocky Mountain Elk Foundation

Posts: 272 | Location: Central KY | Registered: 01 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
It's not legal to ship ammo via the USPS.

Posts: 8169 | Location: humboldt | Registered: 10 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
UPS, had one too many S in UPS.

Phil

Posts: 1466 | Location: Southern California | Registered: 04 February 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yep. I ship brass and bullets USPS to AK and it works out to be a good deal; no ammo, primers or powder. I've shipped some mil gun grease to others by UPS and it was very expensive, but I don't want the FEDs knocking on my door because I tried to save a few cents.

Posts: 278 | Registered: 25 September 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have had several people ship loaded ammo to me through the US Post Office. Hopefully the sender is the one that is taking the chance and I do not get arrested also if the contents are discovered.

So far everyone that has shipped ammo to me through the post office has had it delivered quickly and without any problem.

Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times.

Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.

Posts: 697 | Location: Dublin, Georgia | Registered: 19 November 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The problem is that USPS packages are often routed through the air. Almost all priority mail certainly is. Post 9-11 regulations severly limit the flammable or volatile items that can be in an airplane. The prohibition is to insure that those items (primers and ammunition) do not get on a plane in the cargo.

I'd suspect, but do not know for sure, that shipping ammo regardless of the regulations would subject a person to federal prosecution and the law enforcement capabilities of the federal government. Not a position I would like to be in; they have no sense of humor when it comes to explosives on planes. Send it ground service UPS, properly marked.

dave

Posts: 1102 | Location: Eastern Oregon | Registered: 02 December 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
After working with Haz Mat regs for years.

It is the shippers responsibilty to make sure it is properly labeled and packaged.

Then the carriers.

Posts: 19390 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
IIRC ammo, primers & powder have all been a USPS NO-NO since well before 9/11..
JIM.............

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~O^O

Posts: 512 | Location: Palmetto State | Registered: 22 June 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Minniedog1
posted Hide Post
In recent times when I get ammo from midway they ship it UPS and they drop it off at my local Post office and I pick it up from them. Have not figured how UPS does it through the PO and I cannot

Posts: 160 | Location: TX Panhandle | Registered: 14 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Minniedog1:
In recent times when I get ammo from midway they ship it UPS and they drop it off at my local Post office and I pick it up from them. Have not figured how UPS does it through the PO and I cannot

I asked about that. Postmaster told me it was because there was no actual shipping involved.

He said both FedEx and UPS do drops to my local PO, under contracts between them and USPS.

Support the Rocky Mountain Elk Foundation

Posts: 272 | Location: Central KY | Registered: 01 April 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
There is a ORMD-Air shipping, but the shippers, and freight handlers have to have special licensing, packages have to be packed in certain required way's, and it doesn't get placed in passenger airlines, not to mention being pretty much cost prohibitive.

Phil

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by snake803:
IIRC ammo, primers & powder have all been a USPS NO-NO since well before 9/11..
JIM.............

Yeah, like forever, I think.

Posts: 8169 | Location: humboldt | Registered: 10 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ssdave:
The problem is that USPS packages are often routed through the air. Almost all priority mail certainly is. Post 9-11 regulations severly limit the flammable or volatile items that can be in an airplane. The prohibition is to insure that those items (primers and ammunition) do not get on a plane in the cargo.

I'd suspect, but do not know for sure, that shipping ammo regardless of the regulations would subject a person to federal prosecution and the law enforcement capabilities of the federal government. Not a position I would like to be in; they have no sense of humor when it comes to explosives on planes. Send it ground service UPS, properly marked.

dave

The USPS policy of not allowing people to ship ammo is stupid.

Whats the difference between shipping via USPS and having it go on a plane or carrying ammo in your luggage (which is permitted by the airlines)?

Every passenger on the plane can have a limited amount of ammo in their luggage. For example, this is Alaska Airlines policy:

•Ammunition—On Alaska Airlines flights 001-999 and flights 2000-2999, up to 50 lbs.(domestic) and 11 lbs. (international - where permitted) may be checked. Customers checking in or connecting to Alaska Airlines flights 3450-3499 are limited to 11 lbs. of ammunition. Ammunition must be securely packed in the original manufacturer's package or in a container designed for ammunition and of sufficient strength to protect it from accidental crushing or discharge (i.e. wood, fiber, plastic, or metal).

My biggest fear is when I die my wife will sell my guns for what I told her they cost.

Posts: 6603 | Location: Moving back to Alaska | Registered: 22 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Grenadier
posted Hide Post
Besides UPS you can also send it FedEx ground

Posts: 10900 | Location: North of the Columbia | Registered: 28 April 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
In July I made a R/T to fla from CO with 11# of ammo in my suitcase. Both ways it was opened and ck'd. Gun case with 2 revolvers & 2 rifle's was never opened either way and that was on FOUR planes as I transferred in DFW.
George

"Gun Control is NOT about Guns'
"It's about Control!!"
Join the NRA today!"

LM: NRA, DAV,

George L. Dwight

Posts: 5944 | Location: Pueblo, CO | Registered: 31 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
how often do you buy a round trip airline ticket and accompany it in order to ship it.

Lets see, 20 rounds of 220 swift @ $.075 each, $10 to ship ORM-D via UPS

vs.

$600 and a day to do it personally!

GWB

Posts: 23752 | Location: Pearland, Tx,, USA | Registered: 10 September 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Geedubya:
how often do you buy a round trip airline ticket and accompany it in order to ship it.

Lets see, 20 rounds of 220 swift @ $.075 each, $10 to ship ORM-D via UPS

vs.

$600 and a day to do it personally!

Dood, you've got to be kidding!

GWB

Posts: 23752 | Location: Pearland, Tx,, USA | Registered: 10 September 2001Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Moved to 'Miscellaneous topics'.

The Classifieds are not a discussion forum.

George

Posts: 14623 | Location: San Antonio, TX | Registered: 22 May 2001Reply With Quote