Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Living by yourself Login/Join 
One of Us
posted
Think your in the frame of mind to do this?
Where and how could you hook up to the computer

http://www.vice.com/far-out/fa...onian-retreat-part-1

Posts: 2663 | Location: Lone Star State | Registered: 12 November 2010Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
At several different times in my life, I have lived for 7 to 30 days without any outside contact...

I have gone 60+ days with minimal contact.

No computer, no TV, no news papers. I am talking all alone.

You can almost forget how to talk...

It is scarry to say, but I enjoyed it.

It does take some getting used to...

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
One of the things you need to be aware of is personal higene, and proper diet.

Whenever I am all alone I am reminded of a movie called SILENT RUNNING.

If you might be spending a lot of time alone you should watch this movie.

Also the movie with Jack Nickolson, I cannot remember the name of it but the line "HERE'S JOHNNY, SHOULD TELL YOU WHICH ONE I AM TALKING ABOUT...

None of the standard Horror Movies scare me. The Halloween series, or the one that has in the background before something bad happens.. "kill, kill now... Michael Moore I think... All of those problems could be solved with a 1911... Same for the bad dog "coujo" [sp] I have shot several dogs with a 1911, and some with a Glock... The Blair Witch "deal"...
Give me a break...
Most aliens can be killed with a handgun too...
Simple fact is if you do not have a gun, then you are food.

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Wink
posted Hide Post
The Nicholson movie would be "The Shining" I think. I don't think I have ever been without any human contact for anything more than two weeks, living in a cabin in the mountains, but only because I didn't seek any. I could have come down off the mountain at any time. To be truly far away from any human contact with no choice in the matter would be very different.

AR, where the hopeless, hysterical hypochondriacs of history become the nattering nabobs of negativisim.

Posts: 7046 | Location: Rambouillet, France | Registered: 25 June 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
No way could I do that.
While it is true, he can actually leave or find human companionship if he wants, he seems to be complete in himself.
I find it interesting how he stays abreast of world events and politics.

Aim for the exit hole

Posts: 4348 | Location: middle tenn | Registered: 09 December 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I know a lady that teachs school in Anchorage Ak. Every year as soon as schools out for the Summer , she flies out to her brothers place on the West side of Denali Park , and stays till schools ready to start. That would have to be a shock to ones system ,going from seeing no one for nearly three months to a room full of rugrats.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I read about one old guy in the Rockies that in the fall, he would go to town and get a truckload of supplies, take them to the road's end, load them on pack horses and head up to his spread. And would be snow bound until spring thaw.
This was back before helicopters, cell phones, and such. When you went in, you stayed in.

Aim for the exit hole

Posts: 4348 | Location: middle tenn | Registered: 09 December 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of NavyVet
posted Hide Post
I'm reminded of the Tom Hanks movie, Cast Away. Remember when he's so lonely that he makes a make-believe friend out of a ball? That would be me. I'd go a little crazy and have make-believe friends. Lol.
I would never choose to be isolated from other people. I like to be around people.

NRA life member, thanks to Steve. Smiler

Running on empty...

Posts: 250 | Location: God's Country | Registered: 25 November 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ted thorn
posted Hide Post
I am a social person and do not want to be alone...

I fish, shoot and hunt alone most days but enjoy my time hunting with a partner way-way more

Posts: 7361 | Location: South East Missouri | Registered: 23 November 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
I used to be on submarines (before they had computers, DVDs, Ipods, etc). You can lock me in a closet and I won't notice it for a few weeks.

Frank

"I don't know what there is about buffalo that frightens me so.....He looks like he hates you personally. He looks like you owe him money."
- Robert Ruark, Horn of the Hunter, 1953

NRA Life, SAF Life, CRPA Life, DRSS lite

Posts: 12548 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Couldn't do it.

Need this:

One of Us
posted Hide Post
personally I'd become a sarcastic A Hole, from living in my mom's basement all by myself all of these years. and would probably day dream about having all of this time in the military I really didn't, and spend my time online making a nuisance out of myself...

Posts: 16144 | Location: Southern Oregon USA | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote