Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Twilight of the rock gods! Login/Join 
One of Us
posted
I read this a couple of days ago. David Bowie had just passed. Today Glenn Frey of Eagles fame died at 67. Most of those guys are 5 to 10 years older than I. It will be interesting to watch over the next 10 years should I live so long.

Your thoughts,

GWB

With David Bowie’s final curtain-call, we are witnessing the end of an era, as the original stars of the explosive rock culture that convulsed the world in the second half of the 20th century are slowly extinguished. We are entering the Twilight of the Rock Gods.

Deaths of the famous compel us all to contemplate the meaning of our own lives and times, and the deaths of rock stars carry a very particular sting. Its most iconic figures – those great, symbolic archetypes of an age whose art, lifestyle and spirit was substantially defined by the egotistic and energetic values of youth – have turned into old men.

Whatever your reaction to Bowie’s death (the most elegantly stage-managed exit in pop history), we can be sure of one thing: that there is more of this to come. And for a while, at least. I don’t want to tempt fate – indeed, I try not to even think about it – but when Bob Dylan, Paul McCartney, Mick Jagger and Keith Richards eventually shuffle off this mortal coil, we may have to mark the entire rock and roll era over. Who knows what forces of collective shock and sadness that will unleash...................

the complete article @

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/mus...ht-of-the-rock-gods/

Posts: 23752 | Location: Pearland, Tx,, USA | Registered: 10 September 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Geedubya:
I read this a couple of days ago. David Bowie had just passed. Today Glenn Frey of Eagles fame died at 67. Most of those guys are 5 to 10 years older than I. It will be interesting to watch over the next 10 years should I live so long.

Your thoughts,

GWB

With David Bowie’s final curtain-call, we are witnessing the end of an era, as the original stars of the explosive rock culture that convulsed the world in the second half of the 20th century are slowly extinguished. We are entering the Twilight of the Rock Gods.

Deaths of the famous compel us all to contemplate the meaning of our own lives and times, and the deaths of rock stars carry a very particular sting. Its most iconic figures – those great, symbolic archetypes of an age whose art, lifestyle and spirit was substantially defined by the egotistic and energetic values of youth – have turned into old men.

Whatever your reaction to Bowie’s death (the most elegantly stage-managed exit in pop history), we can be sure of one thing: that there is more of this to come. And for a while, at least. I don’t want to tempt fate – indeed, I try not to even think about it – but when Bob Dylan, Paul McCartney, Mick Jagger and Keith Richards eventually shuffle off this mortal coil, we may have to mark the entire rock and roll era over. Who knows what forces of collective shock and sadness that will unleash...................

the complete article @

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/mus...ht-of-the-rock-gods/

You will - there are hogs, quality beer and great knives to insure that tu2

Mike

Posts: 13145 | Location: Cocoa Beach, Florida | Registered: 22 July 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of NormanConquest
posted Hide Post
2 days ago my friend Paul Ray of "The cobras" + host of Twine Time on KUT radio passed. We seem to be getting a lot of deaths ringing in the new year.

Never mistake motion for action.

Posts: 17357 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 11 March 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of NormanConquest
posted Hide Post
As an aside I must confess that none of the music is lost.Much as I like the rock I still am enamoured by Bob Wills,Hank Williams,Peter Paul + Mary,Hoagy Carmichal,Euby Blake,Cole Porter, Beethoven. I love music (not rap) Benny Goodman could clarinet me to sleep.Those of us who are tied to the bond of mutual love of real music,rejoice. Another couple of Angels have gone home. I will close with this happy thought,regimes may change but music is eternal.

Never mistake motion for action.

Posts: 17357 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 11 March 2013Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The Eagles were as good as it got, and Glenn Frey was spectacular in his own right. I was shocked when I read the news this morning. I still don't understand why.

Posts: 13784 | Location: Texas | Registered: 10 May 2002Reply With Quote