Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Local Gunsmith Login/Join 
One of Us
posted
April 1st I took my rifle into the local gunsmith to get the bolt replaced because I broke the handle off the bolt,He said no problem but I can't weld the handle back on because you broke it at the face of the bolt.So we will have to get a new bolt. I waited 6 weeks called him he said the aftermarket bolts shears the firing pin,they even had savage send them a bolt and did the same thing. We will send the rifle to the Savage arms and they will have to make you a new bolt because they don't make that style of bolt anymore,I said that seems odd,but whom I'm I too question. So I called the gunsmith yesterday to get a report on my rifle He said have not herd a thing I will call them to see the how they are progressing I will call you back. I waited and waited no call back. So I called savage arms myself.They told me that they did not have a rifle with my serial number in there system,That I needed a tracking number to see what had happen,well I will call the gunsmith and get the tracking number,gunsmith said I will look it up and get back with you waited for a hour,call the gunsmith back and ask for the tracking number,He said to me my apology the rifle got sit aside and we did not send the rifle out. I was so mad if I could of reached thru the phone I would of choked the SH-- out of him. This gunsmith came highly recommended.

Posts: 114 | Location: northern lower michigan | Registered: 22 November 2013Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
So people are their own worst enemies while operating their business.

This story is a good reason not to do business again with this smith.

Posts: 19368 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of TCLouis
posted Hide Post
There was a new to the area gunsmith that shot at the range I belonged to. I saw some of his work and was impressed so when a coworker needed some gunsmithing done I recommended the fellow member to him.
Well leave it to say, the recommended smith screwed up not one, but two of the coworkers guns.
I no longer recommend any gunsmith, though I really don't know of any in the area.

Don't limit your challenges . . .
Challenge your limits

Posts: 4227 | Location: TN USA | Registered: 17 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
There is no excuse for that kind of customer service(or lack there of).
I hope you got your rifle back from him.

LORD, let my bullets go where my crosshairs show.
Not all who wander are lost.
NEVER TRUST A FART!!!
Cecil Leonard

Posts: 2786 | Location: Northeast Louisianna | Registered: 06 October 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
What model Savage arm do you have?

Posts: 3675 | Location: SC,USA | Registered: 07 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of DCS Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bobster:

I was curious also, as a bolt handle shouldn’t break off!

Some gunsmiths are like bird dog trainers and used car salesmen.

I meant to be DSC Member...bad typing skills.

Marcus Cady

DRSS

Posts: 3433 | Location: Dallas | Registered: 19 March 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Bobster I did get the rifle back and it is a Savage model 25 in 223 cal.

Posts: 114 | Location: northern lower michigan | Registered: 22 November 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
There is no such thing as a good "local" gunsmith. You always have to send it off to another state. You have to be from somewhere else to be an expert.
That is the rule.

Posts: 17111 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Really good gunsmiths are hard to find.

Dave

Posts: 2086 | Location: Seattle Washington, USA | Registered: 19 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I had a Ruger bisley that I wanted the 11 degree chamfer put on the forcing cone. One said he did not have the equipment due to expense (Less than $300 for an all caliber kit from Brownells), and the other wanted $150-$200 with a lead time of 3-4 months. He is not that busy of a smith. So off went my payment to Brownells for $80 or so for the basic .44 caliber kit. Arrived, read the instructions, watched a youtube vid and now am happy.

Posts: 121 | Location: on the road | Registered: 01 October 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bobster:

It wasn't a model 10, 11, 12 16, 110, etc. since the bolt handles are not welded.

Frank

"I don't know what there is about buffalo that frightens me so.....He looks like he hates you personally. He looks like you owe him money."
- Robert Ruark, Horn of the Hunter, 1953

NRA Life, SAF Life, CRPA Life, DRSS lite

Posts: 12540 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of NormanConquest
posted Hide Post
A vast amount of decent gunsmiths I have known lived on their military retirement pension. It's hard to make a living in the trade. I also am reluctant to give recommendations for anyone be it gunsmithing or any of the trades, plumber, A.C., etc. When they flake, as does happen on occasion, the folks might not remember who the tradesman was but they'll damn sure remember who recommended him.

Never mistake motion for action.

Posts: 17357 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 11 March 2013Reply With Quote