THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM MISCELLANEOUS FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Other Topics  Hop To Forums  Miscellaneous Topics    Pawn Stars on the History channell- Staged?

Moderators: Canuck
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Pawn Stars on the History channell- Staged? Login/Join 
one of us
Picture of JBrown
posted
OK I know a lot of you like this show. To be honest it kind of pisses me off. The owner likes to present himself as a real expert an obscure trivia, but it is obvious that he is often simply repeating what the customer said in an attempt to appear knowledgeable.

Anyway, my real question is: is this show staged?

I ask because a lot of what they do just seems like bad business. Although not everyone agrees:
Dempsey posted on the American Pickers thread:
quote:
Originally posted by dempsey:
I think it's pretty safe to say the Pawn Stars guys do pretty well. If it isn't obvious than there is little else to say.

And I agree, it looks like they are doing well, but it sure can't be from the deals they make on the show.

Example: on a recent show a lady brings in a Faberge broach. The owner of the pawn shop tells her how rare and valuable it is, gives her the history of the piece, them asks what she expects to get for it. The lady says she was hoping to get a couple of thousand dollars. The owner says, "I'd like to give you $2,000, but I just can't rip you off. I'll give you $15,000."(the lady then tries to get $17K! but finally accepts $15)

What kind of business owner gives away $13,000? And, why would the lady accept $15K after learning that the broach was rare and valuable? Seemed pretty fake.

But the transaction that has really killed the show for me was the 69 Buick Skylark. The idiot son pays $3,000 for a 69 Skylark. It is rust free, but has other body damage. The interior is OK except that it is missing the front seats(it has those cheap fiberglass buckets that were common in VW dunebuggies, and they are not bolted down.) It is just a basic base model skylark. I think he paid about $1,000 too much.

But the real killer: he takes it to a "restoration" shop. This place is a real joke. The owner of the shop mistakes a loose seat for a rod knock..... The restoration is quoted at "4K to $5". When the idiot son comes to pick it up the owner tells him that the total for paint and interior work is $7K. The idiot sons says, well I've got $10K into it now. That seems pretty good, I should be able to turn a profit pretty easily." The body shop owner says, "Yeah, you should be able to get $13K or $14K".
Roll Eyes

Are you kidding? $13K or $14K for a base model 69 Skylark with a not original paint color, un-rebulilt drivetrain, and worn stock interior. Give me a break!

I think the show is fake. cdsw2sqaz

Jason

"You're not hard-core, unless you live hard-core."

Hunting in Africa is an adventure. The number of variables involved preclude the possibility of a perfect hunt. Some problems will arise. How you decide to handle them will determine how much you enjoy your hunt.

Just tell yourself, "it's all part of the adventure." Remember, if Robert Ruark had gotten upset every time problems with Harry
Selby's flat bed truck delayed the safari, Horn of the Hunter would have read like an indictment of Selby. But Ruark rolled with the punches, poured some gin, and enjoyed the adventure.

-Jason Brown

Posts: 6834 | Location: Nome, Alaska(formerly SW Wyoming) | Registered: 22 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I enjoy watching the show--but one thing that I think is fake---there is never mention of stolen property. Think they really take in that much stuff and none of it turns out to be hot? Cops check pawn shops on regular basis and I'm sure find hot stuff all time. But the show is not as phoney as Dog--Bounty Hunter. His group of rejects from the carnival make every case seem like it's going to be dangerous---a big shootout etc--and they go down without a hint of trouble. Dog tries to be a preacher, but I think would be banned at most churches. He being a convicted felon cant even be armed and I doubt any in his group qualify either. Big shootout and no gun? He must be bullet proof. His wife is very proud of her big boobs. I'd hope she has big boobs. She'll go over 150 pounds and the other leg will weigh that much too.

Posts: 3804 | Location: san angelo tx | Registered: 18 November 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
He's a convicted felon, it is illegal for him to possess body armor.

Both shows are just entertainment.

Robert

If we can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people, under the pretense of taking care of them, they must become happy. Thomas Jefferson, 1802

Posts: 1207 | Location: Tomball or Rocksprings with Namibia on my mind! | Registered: 29 March 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Rub Line
posted Hide Post
I believe PS may have some staged components, but for the most part I think it's real. I've hung out in pawn shops for years now and let me tell you, people are funny. I like the show because it reminds me of the local pawn shop and some of the things you see go on in there.

-----------------------------------------------------

Do not answer a fool according to his folly, or you yourself will be just like him. Proverbs 26-4

National Rifle Association Life Member

Posts: 1992 | Location: WI | Registered: 28 September 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I think the main guts of it are certainly real. They explain it like it is to the customer and are open about being able to pay only 50 cents on the dollar or whatever to make a profit on their end. The customer then has a choice, take the discounted cash or go try to sell it themselves on e-bay or something. It's all pretty simple. What they offer the customer has even gotten predictable.

Now, some of the embellishments are probably contrived, but that's to be expected. If anything I believe more of that can be found in the other "reality" shows.

One of Us
Picture of MyNameIsEarl
posted Hide Post
I agree parts are real and parts are staged for entertainment purposes. They did mention in one of the episodes last year they most hold the property like 30 days for the police in case it ends up stolen. I find it amazing that people take stuff in there just so they can go gamble. Addiction I guess. If I wanted to get the most money I would not take it to someone that needs to turn a profit on it. Hell I would ebay it after I found its value.

Posts: 749 | Location: Camp Verde, AZ | Registered: 05 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
What kind of business owner gives away $13,000? And, why would the lady accept $15K after learning that the broach was rare and valuable? Seemed pretty fake.

What, you think the guy is dumb enough to rip someone off on national TV?? Give her 2k for a 30k piece of Jewlery? How much business do you think he would loose???? They have spent 18 years building the reputation of that shop. Everyone takes grandma's cool antiques there so they have some extra gambling money in Vegas, and you expect them to blow all of that of 13k??
No, that 13k extra he gave her was an INVESTMENT. Think of all the people who will think, "Hey Rick is an honest guy, next time I'm in Vegas, I'll take my stuff to him"? You don't build a business by ripping people off. You do it by giving them a fair deal.

Posts: 3034 | Location: Colorado | Registered: 01 July 2010Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Duckear
posted Hide Post
It's TV.

Of course a great deal of it is faked.

I read they advertise on Craigslist in Vegas to get folks to bring in weird stuff.

In my neck of the woods, folks bring into the pawn shops $40 DVD players and walk out with $5.

Best description of the show I have heard....Antiques Roadshow goes to Waffle House.

Hunting: Exercising dominion over creation at 2800 fps.

Posts: 3099 | Location: Southern US | Registered: 21 July 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
IT"S TV of course it's staged TV is not real re pete after me TV is not real!! TV is not real!! jumping and the news media LIES too shocker

Posts: 3818 | Location: kenya, tanzania,RSA,Uganda or Ethophia depending on day of the week | Registered: 27 May 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Even Antiques Roadshow can be faked. At one time dealers in antique guns where pulling fast ones ! This resulted in the producer being fired and the ATF went after the two dealers big time !!