Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Bass Pro Shops vs Cabela's Login/Join 
one of us
posted
I had an interesting scenario play-out a few months ago.

I retired. My company asked what retirement gift I would like. I told them, a set of Ping golf clubs, a piece of Chinese sculpture, or a Winchester Model 101 (12 Ga.) over & under from Cabela's.

Here's where it started to go bad. To my surprise they chose the shotgun and gave me a $1600 gift certificate. As soon as I got back to the States I called Cabela's and they said this was my lucky day. They had been running a sale on the Winchester 101 and they had only one left at $1,000. I told them to put my name on it and I drove the 30 miles to the store. When I presented the gift certificate, they told me that they didn't accept Bass Pro Shop gift certificates. I nearly fell over. It hadn't even registered when I first opened it. They said I wasn't the first. I asked them to hold the gun for five days and let me try to work something out.

I drove the 30 miles to Bass Pro and asked them if they had a Model 101. They told me they did, then found out they didn't. I asked them if they could order one. They said they could. It would be almost $2,000. I showed them the Cabela's sale for $1,000. The sales guy said they would probably match the price, and referred me up the food chain.

I returned the next day to talk to the manager, and he said they would be able to order me the Model 101 at the Cabela's price, and that it would take about two weeks. I left my contact info, and about a week later I got the call that they had changed their mind. Their price was about $2,000.

I talked to my company, and couldn't get any support, and couldn't come up with another option. By then I had run about 200 miles up and down the highway, and wasn't about to give that Bass Pro my business so I went to another Bass Pro, struck out again with my sad tale, and settled on what they had. I ended-up spending about $1,000 on a Benelli/Franchi Instinct-L. I like the gun, and it handles well, but it wasn't the Winchester I wanted. (I had a connection to a Winchester Model 101 smuggled into Venezuela, and just wanted one for old times sake.)

The whole Bass Pro / Cabela's ordeal got me to thinking. I find what I want when I go to Cabela's. I don't when I go to Bass Pro, and certainly don't get the same pricing. What has been your experience with the two?

By the way, Cabela's has the Model 101 on sale again; regular price $1299.99. Sale price $1099.99.

Posts: 13780 | Location: Texas | Registered: 10 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Well, I'll be damn. Learn something new everyday. I love original 101s and have several. As a matter of fact I just gave a LW (similar but not the same, nor as expensive back in the day, to the Pigeon grade) to my son to use for his clays shooting.

After the original Olin/Kodensha 101s stopped production, there were several false starts trying to make another one. One of the worst was made in Italy.

IF (big IF) the current 101s are the quality equivalent of the original, then they are an incredible bargain at $1100. The original 101s were and are famous for longevity and rarely breaking.

xxxxxxxxxx
When considering US based operations of guides/outfitters, check and see if they are NRA members. If not, why support someone who doesn't support us? Consider spending your money elsewhere.

NEVER, EVER book a hunt with BLAIR WORLDWIDE HUNTING or JEFF BLAIR.

I have come to understand that in hunting, the goal is not the goal but the process.

Posts: 17099 | Location: Texas USA | Registered: 07 May 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
PS: Just looked them up. It is my personal opinion that 26 inch barrels are a bit short for all around use, which are apparently the only length the field grade comes in. I'd prefer the 28s of the pigeon grade myself and think the 27 1/2s of the old 101 pigeon are about perfect for all around use. All these "observations" are subject to handling one of the new issue 101s and are based on tens of thousands of rounds fired thru the old versions.

xxxxxxxxxx
When considering US based operations of guides/outfitters, check and see if they are NRA members. If not, why support someone who doesn't support us? Consider spending your money elsewhere.

NEVER, EVER book a hunt with BLAIR WORLDWIDE HUNTING or JEFF BLAIR.

I have come to understand that in hunting, the goal is not the goal but the process.

Posts: 17099 | Location: Texas USA | Registered: 07 May 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Damn Skippy, I had the same problem when I tried to use my Sears card in JC Pennys.

Aim for the exit hole

Posts: 4348 | Location: middle tenn | Registered: 09 December 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The 101 I shot in Venezuela seemed to have perfect balance. It was death on quail out towards Coro.

I bought a Browning Citori Satin Hunter later and every time I brought it up it felt like it had too much weight forward.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
You should have treated yourself and bought the 101. I remember in the mid seventies they were going for more than $1500. So the new one's might not be the same but I am sure they are close.
When Bass pro's corporate bean counters shut down the fine gun room I stopped shopping there. I can get everything else anywhere and cheaper.

Posts: 1015 | Location: Brooksville, FL. | Registered: 01 August 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I thought I would regret not buying he 101, but I haven't looked back. I guess "things" just don't matter that much when you get my age.

I've got a friend that is approaching retirement and he has all the toys; corvette, Harley, 20 year-old Thai girlfriend, but what's the point? What are we trying to prove? I'm rich, because in the words of Warren Buffet, you are rich when you can do whatever you want.

My friend and I are both rich, just in different ways.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I am in the same boat and very content. Best wishes to you.
Charles

Posts: 1015 | Location: Brooksville, FL. | Registered: 01 August 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of fla3006
posted Hide Post
I bought a 20ga 101 in the late 60s, think I paid nearly that much for it then.

NRA Life Member, Band of Bubbas Charter Member, PGCA, DRSS.
Shoot & hunt with vintage classics.

Posts: 9487 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: 11 January 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have a lot of good experiences with Cabelas. Have not dealt much with Bass Pro as they are none near me.
I sure think Bass Pro screwed you though.

NRA Patron member

Posts: 2638 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 08 December 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I'm done with Bass Pro when I use up the gift certificate. I've bought a bunch of shells with it since buying the shotgun.

I think it is fate for me to shop Cabela's. My daughter lives within 400 yards of a Cabela's in Buda, and I'm moving within 800 yards of a Cabela's next month. I think the bastards have got me.

One of Us
Picture of Clayman
posted Hide Post
I've never had any bad experiences with either store, but Cabela's has always been my go-to. I think their selection is better, prices are better, stores are nicer, and the focus seems to be more on hunting/shooting and general outdoor gear than strictly fishing.

I'll agree that's some cagey behavior on the part of Bass Pro for you, Kensco. I wouldn't think any retailer would turn down a sale nowadays with the way the economy's been.

Posts: 1225 | Location: Gilbertsville, PA | Registered: 08 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'm blaming your company on this one. Why wouldn't they have asked you first where you wanted to purchase the gun from and then purchased the gift certificate from that company. You would have said Cabela's and that would have been it!!

One of Us
Picture of Swamp_Fox
posted Hide Post
quote:
I retired. My company asked what retirement gift I would like. I told them, a set of Ping golf clubs, a piece of Chinese sculpture, or a Winchester Model 101 (12 Ga.) over & under from Cabela's.

Here's where it started to go bad. To my surprise they chose the shotgun and gave me a $1600 gift certificate. As soon as I got back to the States I called Cabela's and they said this was my lucky day. They had been running a sale on the Winchester 101 and they had only one left at $1,000. I told them to put my name on it and I drove the 30 miles to the store. When I presented the gift certificate, they told me that they didn't accept Bass Pro Shop gift certificates.

"Policies making areas "gun free" provide a sense of safety to those who engage in magical thinking..." Glenn Harlan Reynolds

Posts: 8696 | Location: MO | Registered: 03 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
Bad business judgment for Bass Pro, to first tell you they would match the price, only to renege on the deal. thumbdown How stupid! Mad By the way, don't they know that you are a member of AR and will tell all of us!? LOL! Big Grin

One of Us
posted Hide Post
That's it! Bass Pro banned for life! :-)

Posts: 20086 | Location: Very NW NJ up in the Mountains | Registered: 14 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of NormanConquest
posted Hide Post
I was up in Springfield Mo. when Bass Pro Shops launched their mother ship in the mid 70's.I never dreamed it would go so far.But then Again I could say the same about Cabela's or Gander mnt. I will say that I have never shopped ay a Bass Pro Shop + probably never will. I do hold a Cabela's card + have built up a good bit of points (basically gonna wait + spend them on something I would NEVER drop $$$ on.).Although I love + admire their products,the problem that I have with them is this.Their effort to bring a store into a semi low income area was greeted by great hurrahs by the capital,however the deal was that the state revenue taxes that were collected would not go to the state but back to Sidney,Neb.That was the perk. I can only assume that this is true since it was mailed from our now ex. State Ag. commissioner,Jim Hightower. I do like their products but I have a problem with dirty pool.

Never mistake motion for action.

Posts: 17357 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 11 March 2013Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I thought Bass Pro was THE DEAL when they first came out. I never lived near a Gander Mountain, and frankly thought they went out of business. In terms of hunts and gear I've spent probably upwards of $90k with Cabela's. They are my go-to vendor for hunting items. I particularly liked dealing with Ed Beattie. I think he has now retired. At the DSC convention, the Cabela's people manning their booth didn't even know him, although he ran their Outdoor Adventures for a while, and was with them up until a few years ago.

I've changed my mind on Gander Mountain too. Their place in Amarillo, Texas is great; well stocked with ammo.