THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM MISCELLANEOUS FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Other Topics  Hop To Forums  Miscellaneous Topics    I have my shotgun. What ammunition? One for each purpose?

Moderators: Canuck
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

I have my shotgun. What ammunition? One for each purpose? Login/Join 
One of Us
posted
I recently bought an IAC Model 97 shotgun - that is, a reproduction of a Winchester Model 1897 12 gauge, 2.75-inch pump action shotgun. Having bought it for self defense and vermin control on my property and surrounding meadow, a problem has arisen that I didn't consider when I bought the shotgun.

I haven't fired a shotgun in 45 years. I have no idea what factory 12 gauge, 2.75-inch ammunition I should obtain. I'm not planning to use this pump action shotgun with its 20-inch barrel for sporting purposes - no bird hunting, no cowboy action competition. I ask for assistance to identify self defense ammunition for: Violent anti-social people; large predators and omnivores which have lost fear of human presence; and smaller nuisance predators and herbivores such as coyotes, crows, skunks, et al. I do not intend to buy massive quantities of each ammunition recommended. I'll pick up a few hundred rounds and combine familiarity practice with verifying the shotgun functions properly. Following the break-in period, I would buy a couple of hundred rounds of each ammunition. I'm anticipating that "each ammunition" would be no more than four or five distinct loadings.

Okay, what ammunition?

It's so simple to be wise. Just think of something stupid to say and then don't say it. Sam Levinson

Posts: 1501 | Location: Seeley Lake | Registered: 21 November 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
7 1/2s for general loads. They work on EVERYTHING up close. # 4 buckshot gives better penetration and greater distance .
Before TX changed its laws, I carried a short barrel pump 12 gauge in my truck w/ staggered loads. OO buck, then #4 buckshot then lead #2s . Yea, I'm like that !

Posts: 1991 | Location: Sinton, TX | Registered: 16 June 2013Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I would use lead 4s (sold mostly as turkey loads) for vermin such as skunks, crows, etc. They will also kill coyotes at close ranges and, for that matter, humans too.

Better for birds in general would be lead 6s.

For humans, I'd use 00 buck, possibly in the "low recoil" loads since the hot 00s might be a handful in the 97.

I guess you learn something everyday. I've shot shotguns extensively for hundreds of thousands of rounds and have never heard of a "break-in" period for one. Take one out, shoot it, they either work or they don't.

Along those lines, for what you using it for, I'd strongly suggest a Remington 870. If I've shot it a box of shells, I'd bet my life on it functioning the next shot.

ANY shotgun shell will kill at close range, but personally, I'd advise against using #4 buckshot for humans. Low shock power, poor penetration. I've killed hundreds of geese and some ducks with #4 buck, good long range bird load, especially in a 10 ga.

xxxxxxxxxx
When considering US based operations of guides/outfitters, check and see if they are NRA members. If not, why support someone who doesn't support us? Consider spending your money elsewhere.

NEVER, EVER book a hunt with BLAIR WORLDWIDE HUNTING or JEFF BLAIR.

I have come to understand that in hunting, the goal is not the goal but the process.

Posts: 17099 | Location: Texas USA | Registered: 07 May 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Novel idea (Smiler Smiler ) pattern the shotgun. get a large 30+" x 30+" blank sheet of paper and shoot at it from say 25-30 yards. See how the different size shot pattern. The more uniform, the better. If you have a nice even pattern with no gaps, #4's or #6's would work for everything I doubt that a person could tell the difference between being shot with #6 or #4's.

Aim for the exit hole

Posts: 4348 | Location: middle tenn | Registered: 09 December 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I would buy the federal buckshot advertised mil surplus. Better to have to large a shot size than to small.

Posts: 1286 | Location: N.J | Registered: 16 October 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Crazyhorseconsulting
posted Hide Post
From what I have read, for self defense #4 Buckshot is the best choice, more pellets creates a better pattern.

For varmints #4 or #6 shot will suffice.

Even the rocks don't last forever.

Posts: 31014 | Location: Olney, Texas | Registered: 27 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of muzza
posted Hide Post
I would go with number 4 shot alone . It will work for birds , rabbits , dogs at close range , and will get the attention of any person on the receiving end out to 75 yards or more .

If you want close -quarter home defense then a load of 4 shot will do just the same as any other size in the confines of a room , or through your closed front door , or through the window.

Old enough to know better

Posts: 4458 | Location: Eltham , New Zealand | Registered: 13 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of NormanConquest
posted Hide Post
I agree with the buckshot idea for an all around although as I have mentioned before the sound of a pump is the best deterent;same in any language.That being said,Ernest Hemingway boasted on killing leopards after goading them to leap upon him taking a head shot with #7 shot. (let em get close).

Never mistake motion for action.

Posts: 17357 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 11 March 2013Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Sixes or 7.5s for the smaller varmints and small game.

Buck shot 00 is the go too round. Federal flight control is the best.

Slugs for big and nasty stuff.

I keep my house shotgun loaded with 00 with a stock sleeve ammo holder with slugs. A 870 tactical with peep sites can keep the slugs on a 8x11 past 50 yards.

Number 4 buck lacks in penetration.

On the job we tested all the buck shot sizes there is a very good reason 00 is the standard police/military buck shot load.

I shot a lot of car hit big game with it. I can tell you at up to 10 or so yards it well mush even a decent size bears head. At under 10 yards it just blows a fist size hole into what ever you are shooting at.

Don't for get one still has to aim a shotgun like a rifle at the closer ranges.

A cly bore like your 97 clone I would stay under 25 yards with the buck. I run a mod choke in my 870 I can place buck onto a target at 50 yards. Don't count on it to have a lot of knock down power out there.

But I have just flatten yote's with it at those ranges and have then run a ways also.

At very closes ranges any shot size well blow a hole in most what ever you are shooting.

Here is a couple of accounts of recent bear defense with bird shot and a shotgun that might interest you.

http://gunwatch.blogspot.com/2...-kills-charging.html

Posts: 19396 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
Gato, I had one of those new 97s, and they do benefit from break-in when fresh off the boat from China -- the Model 1887s even more so.

There is hope, even when your brain tells you there isn’t.
– John Green, author

Posts: 16419 | Location: Sweetwater, TX | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of NormanConquest
posted Hide Post
I traded with jimatcat for one of the new 1887's + gave it to my son for Christmas a couple of years ago.Have'nt heard a progress report.

Never mistake motion for action.

Posts: 17357 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 11 March 2013Reply With Quote