Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Craig Boddington's USMC rank Login/Join 
One of Us
posted
I don't want to sart a big deal about this, I just want to know. By and large I like his work.

I thought he had been promoted to Brig. Gen. (one star)
Today on the "Tracks" show someone referred to hi as Col. Which is right? I haven't Googled it

Posts: 1700 | Location: USA | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Buy his book, "Tracks Across Africa" He explains the whole fiasco.

I think he retired as a Col.

"There always seems to be a big market for making the clear, complex."

Posts: 1372 | Location: USA | Registered: 18 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Other than he is a hunter what does this have to do with hunting Africa?

Happiness is a warm gun

Posts: 4106 | Location: USA | Registered: 06 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ForrestB
posted Hide Post
Just Google it and save everyone the firestorm.

Posts: 5052 | Location: Muletown | Registered: 07 September 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
this is what i remember reading some years ago: boddington rose to the rank of 06 (full colonel) in the us marine corps reserve. he was "selected" for 07 (brigadier general) but never confirmed by the senate, so he retired as an 06. still, a significant accomplishment since the average rank (for officers) upon retirement is a major (04).

Posts: 678 | Location: lived all over | Registered: 06 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Wow, is the an inappropriate thread. Can we leave a few silly questions unasked?

j

Posts: 304 | Location: West Texas | Registered: 01 April 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of stuntpilot2
posted Hide Post
The Marine Corps simply doesn't promote men to O-6 unless they are of a level of merit that should make most of our Congress stare drop jawed in envy. I believe Colonel Boddington's record is not an exception.

Here's the article from Stars and Stripes on the subject: http://www.stripes.com/article...on=104&article=17265

With Respect,
A Humble Naval Officer

Posts: 214 | Location: Texas | Registered: 24 May 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Ok, but things'll be a lot slower.

(I'm just kidding. Boddington is my faverite hunting-writer)

Note: I was reply to Josh A.

Posts: 98 | Location: Iowa | Registered: 13 September 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Sevenxbjt
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by McCray:
Buy his book, "Tracks Across Africa" He explains the whole fiasco.

I think he retired as a Col.

+1

one of us
Picture of JBoutfishn
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by AfricanHunter:
I don't want to sart a big deal about this, I just want to know. By and large I like his work.

Today on the "Tracks" show someone referred to hi as Col. Which is right? I haven't Googled it

And you did not Google it because Confused
What is really on your mind? These types of questions are bsflag

Jim "Bwana Umfundi"
NRA

Posts: 3014 | Location: State Of Jefferson | Registered: 27 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 404WJJeffery
posted Hide Post
I read the Stars and Stripes article and all I can say is:

Thank you Colonel Boddington for your service

Seems like he sort of got a raw deal.

BTW I have a friend who retired as a captain from the Navy, but one of his officers told me that he had for a time been appointed a Commodore (temporarily). The younger officer, a USNA grad, told me that the Captain is technically entitled to be addressed as and use the Commodore title- who knows, maybe someone here does, but I do go out of my way to address him as Commodore, which brings a smile to his face.

BTW, Thank you to all who serve, especially the young men and women in our all volunteer services who have taken up the challenge of serving in these trying and dangerous times.

The kids we have in the service branches, who went in knowing they would see combat, and not only did not shy away from it, but take on the challenge willingly, are really to be admired.

"Are you gonna pull them pistols,...or whistle Dixie??"

Josie Wales 1866

Posts: 1489 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: 19 July 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of JBoutfishn
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 404WJJeffery:
I read the Stars and Stripes article and all I can say is:

Thank you Colonel Boddington for your service

Seems like he sort of got a raw deal.

BTW I have a friend who retired as a captain from the Navy, but one of his officers told me that he had for a time been appointed a Commodore (temporarily). The younger officer, a USNA grad, told me that the Captain is technically entitled to be addressed as and use the Commodore title- who knows, maybe someone here does, but I do go out of my way to address him as Commodore, which brings a smile to his face.

BTW, Thank you to all who serve, especially the young men and women in our all volunteer services who have taken up the challenge of serving in these trying and dangerous times.

The kids we have in the service branches, who went in knowing they would see combat, and not only did not shy away from it, but take on the challenge willingly, are really to be admired.

What he said.

Jim "Bwana Umfundi"
NRA

Posts: 3014 | Location: State Of Jefferson | Registered: 27 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by AfricanHunter:

Why is it any of your business?

xxxxxxxxxx
When considering US based operations of guides/outfitters, check and see if they are NRA members. If not, why support someone who doesn't support us? Consider spending your money elsewhere.

NEVER, EVER book a hunt with BLAIR WORLDWIDE HUNTING or JEFF BLAIR.

I have come to understand that in hunting, the goal is not the goal but the process.

Posts: 17099 | Location: Texas USA | Registered: 07 May 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Jarrod
posted Hide Post
I don't understand all the rude comments here. He just simply asked a question and it was not asked in a negative way. Some of you are so uptight you couldn't shove a needle up your butts.

"Science only goes so far then God takes over."

Posts: 3504 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: 07 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Some of you are so uptight you couldn't shove a needle up your butts.

Ain't that the truth...

I think Bod should have put the tipster on "diesel fuel and shit" detail for a few months...

Posts: 16534 | Location: Between my computer and the head... | Registered: 03 March 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of billinthewild
posted Hide Post
what ever he has done he has done it well salute

"When you play, play hard; when you work, don't play at all."
Theodore Roosevelt

Posts: 4263 | Location: Pinetop, Arizona | Registered: 02 January 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Gentlemen

I know AfricanHunter, and while I have not spoken to him on this subject, I think I can say that I do not think he meant anything negative by his question.

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
the military likes to screw with people, the Corps asked him to wear the star for prestige in some African country, and then hammered him for it.

My third tour in RVN two of our Ranger Company's six man teams were assigned to work with the arvns. Sort of like the CAP program the Corps had. I got the paperwork for Brevet (temporary) Captain to impress their people and let me have command of the combined company. A couple months later I got wounded at the OP George fiasco and was medevac'ed home. I had some chickenshit REMF Major at Fort Carson try and get me a courts martial for wearing the camo BDU shirt with the Captain's bars on it when I left the hospital one afternoon to go to the PX. I figured I looked pretty cool, trolling for chicks. Fortunately, the Base Commander figured out that my papers with the promotion had no expiration date. They did get them cancelled and I went out as SSgt, my permanent rank. Stateside duty really sucks after you've been in 'nam for more than two years.

Rich
glad I served, glad I'm out

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Rich
glad I served, glad I'm out

My sincere thanks to you for your Service...

Posts: 16534 | Location: Between my computer and the head... | Registered: 03 March 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
It was my pleasure.

Rich

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Rich

Sadly the US Military seems to have 2 Militaries, Wartime, and Peacetime....

I think you know what I mean.

Also, Thanks for Your Service.

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jarrod:
I don't understand all the rude comments here. He just simply asked a question and it was not asked in a negative way. Some of you are so uptight you couldn't shove a needle up your butts.

I was thinking the EXACT same thing. What am I missing here? Unless all of you plowing the guy for asking a question know something we don't......WTF is the problem here? He is a member of OUR armed forces......all public record, no, assholes?

Posts: 2717 | Location: NH | Registered: 03 February 2009Reply With Quote