Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

advise on gun safe Login/Join 
One of Us
posted
I was at scheels and they have a scheels aka champion brand dial and key gun safe, dimensions 60" high x 30" wide x 22" deep for about $850. This thing weighs about 575 lbs and is fire rated to 1500 degrees for 90 minutes i think.

Are champions good safes or are they on the lower end of quality. It seems a little fishy that they are selling this size safe with the fire rating for this price.
I think it's 11 gauge steel, but I would have to double check on that.

Posts: 973 | Location: Rapid City, SD | Registered: 08 July 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Before you buy a gunsafe check out www.sturdysafe.com

They make a good product.

They also have a lot of good info on their site about safe construction.

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Slowpoke Slim
posted Hide Post
It sounds waaaayyyy too small.

Get one twice as big as you ever think you'll need.

That way it will take you longer to "outgrow" it.

Outgrowing a safe is much more expensive than buying big to begin with.

Or so I've heard...

Big Grin

Si tantum EGO eram dimidium ut bonus ut EGO memor

Posts: 1146 | Location: Bismarck, ND | Registered: 31 August 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I am going the next size up for $1000, which is double what I think I need. I just can't afford a more expensive safe right now, but a few years down the road, I will be able to afford a better safe and I will look very hard at sturdysafes as they seem to offer a lot of quality for the money. I have to do the upgrading thing at least once, but my next safe I will go for quality and larger size, so hopefully my 2nd safe will do me for a good chunk of my life.

Posts: 973 | Location: Rapid City, SD | Registered: 08 July 2005Reply With Quote