Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

compact lap top help and assistance Login/Join 
One of Us
posted
Hi Guys , I require a lot of help, I was given a Compact lap top computer by one of my Drs, it has a cracked screen but have have been using it with a another monitor, the computer frooze a couple of weeks ago so I was in a hurry and turned off the power , it has not worked correctly since.
Currently a friend burned a Linox Live disc operating system, only with this disc I cannot upload pictures from my camera.
I bought factory recovery discs only when I put the discs in the monitor screen will not work and compact will not assist me unless I pay additional fee .
I also donnot have money for a new computer , moneys very tight.
Can someone please assit me ??
many thanks, robbt

compact lap top help and assistance

Posts: 5530 | Location: new york | Registered: 21 December 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
What'd he say???? Confused

Aim for the exit hole

Posts: 4348 | Location: middle tenn | Registered: 09 December 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of muzza
posted Hide Post
He said - and I paraphrase " my computer has shit iself and I need help to fix it "

Old enough to know better

Posts: 4457 | Location: Eltham , New Zealand | Registered: 13 May 2002Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Was the laptop a Linux machine originally, or are you running Linux on a Windows machine?

George

Posts: 14623 | Location: San Antonio, TX | Registered: 22 May 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
hi george, machine was origially windows vista ,when it stopped working I was given a linex disc, now trying to get the machine back to normal, many thanks, robbt

posted Hide Post
It's hard to diagnose this from a distance, but when you shut down the "frozen" computer you caused it to be unable to restart automatically.

Try this: remove any CDs you have in the computer. Turn the power on, and hold the F8 down. You may get a screen that tells you that Windows did not shut down correctly, and it may offer you the option to restart with last known good configuration. Move the cursor to that option and click the enter key. Restart should ensue.

If that doesn't work, boot into safe mode and restore the system to the last checkpoint prior to the problem.

As for not being able to upload photos while running in Linux, the flavor of Linux (Ubuntu, Debian, etc.) you are using may not have the requisite drivers.

George

Posts: 14623 | Location: San Antonio, TX | Registered: 22 May 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
hi george , well f8 on longer works and cannot use the recovery dics as the screen will not come up unless I use linox, linox does not have a my computer and cannot find the correct icon to conect to the drive I plug in to upload pictures , its been fun, robbtr

posted Hide Post
Hey, I tried.

Dump that broken POS and buy a refurbished computer or laptop for $200.

George

One of Us
posted Hide Post
where ??????

posted Hide Post
Search the internet. Yugster has a refurbished Dell for $199.

George

one of us
posted Hide Post
It depends on what you need one for, but you can buy a HP Touchpad 16 gig laptop slightly used to factory refurbished to NIB on ebay for somewhere between about $150 and $225. Helluva deal if it fits your needs. The 32 gig will run about $50 or so more.

xxxxxxxxxx
When considering US based operations of guides/outfitters, check and see if they are NRA members. If not, why support someone who doesn't support us? Consider spending your money elsewhere.

NEVER, EVER book a hunt with BLAIR WORLDWIDE HUNTING or JEFF BLAIR.

I have come to understand that in hunting, the goal is not the goal but the process.

Posts: 17099 | Location: Texas USA | Registered: 07 May 2001Reply With Quote