Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Oiffcer killed Login/Join 
One of Us
posted
A close family friend with the orange county sheriffs office was gunned down acouple of nights ao I know its not hunting related but just keeping his spirit and and memory alive

ORLANDO --
The Orange County deputy shot and killed Wednesday night in Orlando has been identified as Brandon Coates.

A 27-year-old Marine who survived two tours of duty in Iraq, Coates was killed patrolling the area near 45th Street and Orange Blossom Trail.

Deputies said one suspect was later found dead after apparently shooting himself.

Authorities initially said there may have been a second suspect involved in the shooting, due to reports from a witness, but after further investigation, deputies said they believe the shooter was alone at the time. The search for the "second suspect" has been discontinued.

The shooting happened around 8:30 p.m. during a traffic stop.

According to Orange County Sheriff Jerry Demings, Coates stopped a white Chevy Silverado pickup, when someone in the vehicle shot him in the head.

Coates was rushed to Orlando Regional Medical Center, but did not survive.

Demings said Coates had been with the Orange County Sheriff's Office for 4-and-a-half years, and was a member of the agency's Tactical Anti-Crime Unit.

Coates also served two tours in Iraq. His wife is also an Orange County deputy, but she was not on duty at the time of the shooting, according to sheriff's officials.

"The only thing I can say to her is we're sorry that it had to happen to her," said Demings. "What I have shared with her is that this community stands behind her. This community stands up against evil, and they support their local law enforcement officers."

Search for the suspect
With the help of Orlando police and the Florida Highway Patrol, Orange County deputies tracked down the pickup to Texas Avenue and Americana Boulevard, less than two miles from the shooting, in the Alhambra Trace Apartments.

Sheriff's Capt. Angelo Nieves said they had the pickup cornered, but no one was inside.

As deputies searched the area for a suspect, they heard a single gunshot and found 29-year-old Brandon Lyals dead near the vehicle from what appeared to be a self-inflicted gunshot wound.

Nieves said this shooting was just the latest in a series of violent acts on deputies that has the Sheriff's Office concerned.

"You have individuals who don't want to go to jail, and are willing to take on law enforcement," he said. "If they are taking on law enforcement, what are they doing to people in the community that they are victimizing?"

"We know there is risk in the jobs we do each day, and the men and women who serve as law enforcement officers in this community, they do so understand that risk," said Sheriff Demings. "They're willing to go out and assume that risk to keep others safe. We still have a job to do."

The scene near the pickup was cleared early Thursday morning.

Brandon Lyals, the suspect found dead, had an extensive criminal history, according to the Florida Department of Corrections.

Lyals had been arrested for a number of property theft-related crimes between 1999 and 2001. He started serving a 10-year prison sentence in March 2002, but was released early, in December 2009.

Rest In Peace buddy we will look after your wife and family for you

I never dreamed it would be me
My name for all eternity
Recorded here at this hallowed place
Alas, my name, no more my face

"In the line of duty" I hear them say
My family now the price will pay
My folded flag stained with their tears
We only had those few short years

The badge no longer on my chest
I sleep now in eternal rest
My sword I pass to those behind
And pray they keep this thought in mind

I never dreamed it would be me
And with heavy heart and bended knee
I ask for here and all the past
Dear God, let my name be the last

salute patriot salute

Go rest Brandon we'll take it from here down here 10-87

I have been where you fear to be;
I have seen what you fear to see;
I have done what you fear to do;
All these things I have done for you.

I am the one you lean upon,
The one you cast your scorn upon,
The one you bring your troubles to,
All these things I have been for you.

The one you ask to stand apart,
The one you feel should have no heart,
The one you call the "man in blue";
But I am a person, just like you.

And through the years,
I have come to see
That I am not what you ask of me.
So take this badge, take this gun;
Will you take it? - Will anyone?

And when you watch a person die
And hear a battered baby cry,
Then do you think that you can be
All these things you ask of me?

One of Us
Picture of drummondlindsey
posted Hide Post
I hate to hear that! I will keep his family and friends in my prayers

Drummond

Posts: 2092 | Location: Windsor, CO | Registered: 06 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of LionHunter
posted Hide Post
In remembrance of a fellow Marine and brother of the badge:

Semper Fi and RIP my Brother.

Mike
NRA Life
Sables Life
Mzuri
IPHA

"To be a Marine is enough."

Posts: 3577 | Location: Silicon Valley | Registered: 19 November 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
RIP my brother.

http://www.odmp.org/officer/20...s-brandon-lee-coates

Robert

If we can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people, under the pretense of taking care of them, they must become happy. Thomas Jefferson, 1802

Posts: 1207 | Location: Tomball or Rocksprings with Namibia on my mind! | Registered: 29 March 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
In my prayers...

Posts: 1382 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: 10 November 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Just got home from the Funeral heartbreaking and now thursday I have to burry my farther who passed sunday Merry Christmas to me

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Prayers for you both.....

Posts: 41774 | Location: Crosby and Barksdale, Texas | Registered: 18 September 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Rick R
posted Hide Post
My condolences go to both families.

Life will get better.

Posts: 1912 | Location: Charleston, WV, USA | Registered: 10 January 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
God bless. What else can i say?

Posts: 2827 | Location: Seattle, in the other Washington | Registered: 26 April 2006Reply With Quote