Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Best burger places in Texas Login/Join 
One of Us
posted
Since we have a thread running on BarBQue Lets start one on hamburgers right off I love Keller's on NW hwy in dallas-toasted poppy seed bun - whole slice of sweet onion -try double meat chili cheese burger and just listen to your arterys clog-typical 50-60's drive in -canopys-car hops- beer- hot rods at night they had three locations but are down to two the other is on harry hines blvd by love field

One of Us
Picture of DuggaBoye
posted Hide Post
Perini ranch-Buffalo Gap
Herd's -Jacksboro
Oma's- Waxahachie
Tommy's- Ft. Worth
Fred's- Ft.worth
Kincaid's -Ft. Worth
Mel's- Tomball
Boondock's -Amarillo
Chris Madrid's -San Antonio
Loco Coyote- Glen Rose
Johnny B's -Southlake
Thriftway-Graham
Al's - Arlington
Charlie's- Galveston
Blue Hangar Cafe- Roanoke
Kirby's -Seguin
Western Sky- San Angelo
Woody's -Mineral Wells
Juicy's-Tyler
Mary's- Grosbeck
Storm's-San Saba
Butcher Boy's- Nacocgdoches
Ray's- Lufkin
Randy's- Mt. Pleasant
Noonday Store-Noonday
Baker's-McKinney

And two that are gone-sadly--
Mabel's Lakeview- Uncertain
Boot's-Rockwall

oh man, now I'm hungry.

DuggaBoye-O
NRA-Life
Whittington-Life
TSRA-Life
DRSS
DSC
HSC
SCI

Posts: 4593 | Location: TX | Registered: 03 March 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Sorry I can't help much with this topic, except for the "in a rush" burgers from Sonic or other fast food hellholes, I just don't eat burgers out much. My buddy, the butcher, makes his burger out of ground chuck and you can specify the fat content. It is so much better than most burger meat we do most of our burgers at home. Longhorn meat, which I raise and is very lean, makes a fine burger as well. I shot a fence jumping Longhorn bull about a year or so back and we're still working on the hundreds of pounds of burger meat he produced......BTW when you try the tenderloins out of an animal and they're REAL CHEWY, you know it's burger time. Roll Eyes I guess he'd had plenty of exercise jumping 5 foot fences flat footed. His jumping days came to a .300 WM halt.

An easy burger to make at home is the "juicy lucy" which is simply two relatively thin paddies with a quantity of cheese, Cheddar, Swiss, Bleu, whatever you prefer, pressed in between them, sealed off by the burger paddies and cooked. Yummmy and easy.

All that said, I'm writing the list down if I'm in the area and need a burger. Thanks.

xxxxxxxxxx
When considering US based operations of guides/outfitters, check and see if they are NRA members. If not, why support someone who doesn't support us? Consider spending your money elsewhere.

NEVER, EVER book a hunt with BLAIR WORLDWIDE HUNTING or JEFF BLAIR.

I have come to understand that in hunting, the goal is not the goal but the process.

Posts: 17099 | Location: Texas USA | Registered: 07 May 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
TJ's- Greenville - Island burger Sachse- Watson burger Denison- Big Easy - Plano new orleans thyme but they make a great burger the gumbo is good though - Jakes Plano- Earnie Bells Terrell- whoa boy, I have had too many burgers

One of Us
Picture of Heat
posted Hide Post
Though Lil Hips in San Antonio was very good I found this place in the Phoenix metro area Big Grin.

Ken....

"The trouble with our liberal friends is not that they are ignorant, but that they know so much that isn't so. " - Ronald Reagan

Posts: 5386 | Location: Phoenix Arizona | Registered: 16 May 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of fla3006
posted Hide Post
www.chowhound.com

NRA Life Member, Band of Bubbas Charter Member, PGCA, DRSS.
Shoot & hunt with vintage classics.

Posts: 9487 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: 11 January 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Snuffers in Dallas....

and you have to get the chedder fries!!

one of us
posted Hide Post
I was in Ft. Worth a couple of years ago and the thing that struck me was the size of restaurant portions. No matter where you went, always Texas size. No wonder you have so many obese Americans. Big Grin Gotta love those deep fried pickles though. The low point was fried bologna, served like a hamburger, by the stockyards. rotflmo

Indeed, no human being has yet lived under conditions which, considering the prevailing climates of the past, can be regarded as normal. John E Pfeiffer, The Emergence of Man

Those who can't skin, can hold a leg. Abraham Lincoln

Only one war at a time. Abe Again.

Posts: 4211 | Location: Alta. Canada | Registered: 06 November 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of FRANKIE2000
posted Hide Post
There is a hole in the wall place in Mesquite that is one of the best places for a good burger. It is call Burger Style Cafe. Everything is made fresh right there on the spot from the patties to the fries and even the bread. I try to swing through there at least once a week for the 1/2 lb. guacamole burger. Dang no I am starving thinking about it.

Posts: 145 | Location: Mesquite, TX. | Registered: 19 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Crazyhorseconsulting
posted Hide Post
I like the Double meat, double cheese, with bacon, mushrooms and jalapenos at Smith Corner in Bryson. Lora like their Sir steak Sandwich, their version of a Philly Cheese Steak samich.

Even the rocks don't last forever.

Posts: 31014 | Location: Olney, Texas | Registered: 27 March 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Glancing through my current copy (July) of Texas Monthly magazine, I see that next month they're going to have a article on the 50 best hamburgers in Texas. HBphiles might want to get a copy when it comes out.

xxxxxxxxxx
When considering US based operations of guides/outfitters, check and see if they are NRA members. If not, why support someone who doesn't support us? Consider spending your money elsewhere.

I have come to understand that in hunting, the goal is not the goal but the process.

One of Us
Picture of Cazador humilde
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Heat:
Though Lil Hips in San Antonio was very good I found this place in the Phoenix metro area Big Grin.

Ken....

You caused me physical pain by mentioning Lil Hipps and its passing. It was a fantastic lunch getaway during the workday. Chester's is about the best left down here (San Antonio), IMO.

Posts: 1278 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: 31 May 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Charles_Helm
posted Hide Post
I always enjoyed the bacon cheeseburger at the Balia in Carrizo Springs. However, the dining options in Carrizo were pretty limited so maybe that explains some of the attraction.

Posts: 8773 | Location: Republic of Texas | Registered: 24 April 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jimatcat
posted Hide Post
3 places come to mind....first is chicken oil company college station .... 2nd was a place called "dead solid perfect"...also in college atation....... burgers started out as a chunk of meat about the size of a large baseball....flattened out to about an inch thick, they were pretty good with a cold beer....3rd was jakes burgers in carlsbad texas.... jake heated the buns in the grease on the grill....as a kid of 10 they were good, especially with a vanilla shake....

go big or go home ........

DSC-- Life Member
NRA--Life member
DRSS--9.3x74 r Chapuis

Posts: 2827 | Location: dividing my time between san angelo and victoria texas.......... USA | Registered: 26 July 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
"juicy lucy"

That sounds like a great new name for BBBruce...

Posts: 16534 | Location: Between my computer and the head... | Registered: 03 March 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Niners in Wharton

Willie B

Posts: 398 | Location: Texas | Registered: 27 September 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
El Campo Bowling Center

Willie B

Posts: 398 | Location: Texas | Registered: 27 September 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The Lord's Kitchen in San Antonio.
it's a little rough lookin' joint next to the train yard just NE of downtown.
their "hurt you" burger is aptly named.
1/2lb beef with about the same amt of bacon and cheese. now I aint tried it, but their other burgers are dang good. old-style road-house.they always get good reviews in the dine-out section for burges in SA.

Posts: 205 | Location: Hondo Tx | Registered: 22 December 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
kweber:

Not trying to steal or divert this thread, but since you live in Hondo, what do you think of McBee's BBQ which was on the Tx Monthly Top 50 list?

xxxxxxxxxx

One of Us
posted Hide Post
a good friend of mine. we have shared more than a few beers and fishing trips.
he sold to an apprintice awhile back, but it's still mostly the same.
100% mesquite fired BBQ. I'm not real big on sauce, so that's not an issue to me. the brisket is king in Tx. it's as good as anywhere, but like all BBQ joints, some days more majic happens. nice and crusty with the required pink smoke ring. almost as good as my own Big Grin.
now it's all mesquite cooked and this tends to weed out the yankees and east-of-I35/south of I10 trash. Wink
that sed, when I'm over in S/E Tx, good ol' live-oak BBQ makes fer a nice change-up beer
especially beef ribs.
I like to use live-oak bark to smoke my deer/hog sausage.

Posts: 205 | Location: Hondo Tx | Registered: 22 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Miller Cafe in Houston on N. Sheppard is hard to beat.

Posts: 41776 | Location: Crosby and Barksdale, Texas | Registered: 18 September 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
Best burger in the State of Texas is Miller's on the first floor Scurlock Towers on Fannin directly across the street from Methodist Hospital, in the Medical Center, Houston. Pull into the valet parking and walk a few steps to Miller's.
Awesome burgers and real crispy fries! Iced tea is fresh brewed!

Rusty
We Band of Brothers!
DRSS, NRA & SCI Life Member

"I am rejoiced at my fate. Do not be uneasy about me, for I am with my friends."
----- David Crockett in his last letter (to his children), January 9th, 1836
"I will never forsake Texas and her cause. I am her son." ----- Jose Antonio Navarro, from Mexican Prison in 1841
"for I have sworn upon the altar of god eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man." Thomas Jefferson
Declaration of Arbroath April 6, 1320-“. . .It is not for glory, nor riches, nor honours that we are fighting, but for freedom - for that alone, which no honest man gives up but with life itself.”

Posts: 9797 | Location: Missouri City, Texas | Registered: 21 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
a good friend of mine. we have shared more than a few beers and fishing trips.
he sold to an apprintice awhile back, but it's still mostly the same.
100% mesquite fired BBQ. I'm not real big on sauce, so that's not an issue to me. the brisket is king in Tx. it's as good as anywhere, but like all BBQ joints, some days more majic happens. nice and crusty with the required pink smoke ring. almost as good as my own.
now it's all mesquite cooked and this tends to weed out the yankees and east-of-I35/south of I10 trash.
that sed, when I'm over in S/E Tx, good ol' live-oak BBQ makes fer a nice change-up beer
especially beef ribs.
I like to use live-oak bark to smoke my deer/hog sausage.

Funny stuff. Having been through Hondo a million times to and from Del Rio, I can appreciate it...

Posts: 16534 | Location: Between my computer and the head... | Registered: 03 March 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The only reason anyone cooks with mesquite, where they use it almost exclusively for coals instead of real smoke is because they don't have any decent wood in the area.

xxxxxxxxxx