New
Find
Notify
Tools

Mailing a rifle to myself?? Login/Join 
one of us
Picture of MADDOG
posted
I've never done this this way. My daughter lives in Fairbanks Alaska. I will be there a lot and wanted to mail a couple of my rifles ahead. I will be leaving them there full time.
Is there any legal issues about sending a rifle to myself? Please advise.
Thank you in advance Marc

Joshua 24:15
www.teamfaithfull.net /
My granddaughter
"Multitudes loose the sight of that which is, by setting their eyes on that which is not".

Posts: 1899 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 03 May 2001Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Legally, you may do so via common carrier (FedEx, UPS, etc.) if they still accept firearms from non-FFLs.

Unless you have an FFL, you may not use USPS to ship firearms.

George

Posts: 14623 | Location: San Antonio, TX | Registered: 22 May 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Unless you have an FFL, you may not use USPS to ship firearms.

Only applies to handguns.

xxxxxxxxxx
When considering US based operations of guides/outfitters, check and see if they are NRA members. If not, why support someone who doesn't support us? Consider spending your money elsewhere.

NEVER, EVER book a hunt with BLAIR WORLDWIDE HUNTING or JEFF BLAIR.

I have come to understand that in hunting, the goal is not the goal but the process.

Posts: 17099 | Location: Texas USA | Registered: 07 May 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of MADDOG
posted Hide Post
Thirdbite,
Good point. But I don't see where that matters if I live there or not. She is my daughter and I think that that has some bearing on things. I hope anyway. I will check into that though.
Marc

Joshua 24:15
www.teamfaithfull.net /
My granddaughter
"Multitudes loose the sight of that which is, by setting their eyes on that which is not".

Posts: 1899 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 03 May 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Maddog,
My ffl tells me that I can ship long guns to myself via USPS, FedEx or common carrier. BATF seems to allow it, if I'm reading the rules correctly.

Posts: 244 | Location: Kansas City, Kansas | Registered: 16 September 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Sell them to her for One dollar and other valuable consideration if you are worried about it. Otherwise just leave them with her-you would have already "taken possession".

Posts: 6725 | Location: central Texas | Registered: 05 August 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Scott King
posted Hide Post
I have done this many times and my friends coming to and from here the same.

I'll return address it my name and mailing address and the "To" is Scott King care of who ever I'm going hunting with and their mailing address. Obviously, the reverse is,....well,.... reverse.

I had a Postal clerk in New Mexico refuse me last year so I came home, looked up the law and called his office. In speaking with the supervisor we agreed he'd been wrong to refuse me but I was wrong to return address the same as the "To" address.

I have mailed long guns from myself to myself all over Alaska and the western states.

Posts: 9119 | Location: Dillingham Alaska | Registered: 10 April 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Scott King
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Cross L:
Sell them to her for One dollar and other valuable consideration if you are worried about it. Otherwise just leave them with her-you would have already "taken possession".

Can't sell guns thru the mail without and ffl so I'd not advise any mention of sale.

I suspect we all keep lots of our possessions at other peoples houses, (store your boat at a friends, duck decoys at the sons,)so storing guns at your kids doesn't seem a stretch or really any of law enforcements business.

Posts: 9119 | Location: Dillingham Alaska | Registered: 10 April 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
You wouldnt be selling it through the mail---once you are there and take possession you can do what ever you want. He wants to leave them there full time.

Posts: 6725 | Location: central Texas | Registered: 05 August 2010Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Pa.Frank
posted Hide Post
For what you will end up paying for packing shipping and insurance, but yourself a decent air travel guncase, like a pelican or something, take them with you on your first trip, and then sell the guncase!

It will likely be cheaper than shipping it and "nobody knows nothing", so if you leave them there, you leave them there.. No problem.

NRA Benefactor.

Life is tough... It's even tougher when you're stupid... John Wayne

Posts: 1963 | Location: The Three Lower Counties (Delaware USA) | Registered: 13 September 2001Reply With Quote