THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM MISCELLANEOUS FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Other Topics  Hop To Forums  Miscellaneous Topics    David Gilmour's famous black Strat will come to auction

Moderators: Canuck
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

David Gilmour's famous black Strat will come to auction Login/Join 
One of Us
Picture of Thomas "Ty" Beaham
posted

Posts: 2969 | Location: Arizona | Registered: 07 February 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of BaxterB
posted Hide Post
I can remember when he installed a Kahler tremolo in the black guitar (which requires a hell of a lot of wood removal) and even as a kid I thought, “what the hell did he do THAT for?!??” He went back to a fender tremolo but that’s why there’s the big block behind it now.

One of Us
Picture of Todd Williams
posted Hide Post
What an iconic Strat that black one is. I'll bet it tops their high estimate.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Neither will even come close to either of my man Jerry Garcia’s guitars.

Posts: 1278 | Location: The Bluegrass State | Registered: 21 October 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Todd Williams
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Colin Masters:
Neither will even come close to either of my man Jerry Garcia’s guitars.

Maybe not but Gilmore's guitars sure did make better sounds!

sofa

One of Us
posted Hide Post
While I won’t discount gilmore’s Music, I don’t think he could carry Jerry Garcia’s jockstrap.

Posts: 1278 | Location: The Bluegrass State | Registered: 21 October 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Todd Williams
posted Hide Post
quote:
While I won’t discount gilmore’s Music, I don’t think he could carry Jerry Garcia’s jockstrap.

LOL. I image one is about as unappealing as the other. That is, Jerry's jockstrap and his music.

clap

One of Us
Picture of FMC
posted Hide Post
quote:

Uh NO- one is an artist, the other a dead errr deceased hippie.... (he he he)

Were you one of those fags that would go to a dead concert and the next day commune together in the cafeteria, singing and writing down in a spiral notebook all the songs they played the previous night. And then scream out Jorma or Jack or Hot Tuna and draw the Hot Tuna/Tide or the skull roses dead album cover on your notebook?

While I really enjoyed cutting class, sneaking out and partying with my friends, their music really sucked......irrespective of the acid, mesc or mushrooms involved.....

I signed up for notifications. Very tempted to bid on it. I don't need another 911.

There are two types of people in the world: those that get things done and those who make excuses. There are no others.

Posts: 1429 | Location: El Campo Texas | Registered: 26 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Todd Williams
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by FMC:
quote:

Were you one of those fags that would go to a dead concert and the next day commune together in the cafeteria, singing and writing down in a spiral notebook all the songs they played the previous night. And then scream out Jorma or Jack or Hot Tuna and draw the Hot Tuna/Tide or the skull roses dead album cover on your notebook?

While I really enjoyed cutting class, sneaking out and partying with my friends, their music really sucked......irrespective of the acid, mesc or mushrooms involved.....

I signed up for notifications. Very tempted to bid on it. I don't need another 911.

You nailed it Frank.

I just never could get past the "Bink Bink Binkbink, Bink Bink Binkbink" sound of "The Dead". I know there are a lot of "Dead" fans out there but I never got it.

How anyone could compare Garcia to Gilmour baffles the mind. There are a select few guitarists that are known to be identified from the feel and emotion of a single note played. B B King and Carlos Santana being a couple. Gilmour has long been a member of that select club as well! Garcia? Not so much.

One of Us
Picture of FMC
posted Hide Post
Gilmour and Jimmy Page are IMO the best. I'd reluctantly have to give the nod to Page though as the overall best. Gilmour next. They just didn't play a mean guitar, they transformed their guitars into magical and unreal music..........just imagine if Beethoven could have written for Page.......unfuckingreal!!!!

Santana and Clapton are a distant third. Carlos as he is lacking the acoustical portfolio when compared to the others. Clapton specifically because of Cream. Even though he does have the acoustical recognition I just can't forget Cream. (shit he almost made Neil Young sound good) Also, neither did anything other than play a guitar well. Don Felder is an extremely underrated guitarist and belongs with these 2. Unfortunately, he was overshadowed by Joe Walsh's reputation (certainly not his guitar skills as he wasn't in Felder's leaague).

IMO there was no good R&R after 12/31/79 (yeah, I know a few good songs here and there, but overall a dud) and I really do not like hair bands. Despite that, Van Halen is a phenomenal guitarist, but kinda only played one note if you will.

There are two types of people in the world: those that get things done and those who make excuses. There are no others.

Posts: 1429 | Location: El Campo Texas | Registered: 26 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Todd Williams
posted Hide Post
Some good points there Frank.

Page was most definitely near if not at the very top of the list of great guitarists. However, I think Hendrix will always be at the top of the heap simply for the inspiration he brought to the instrument that others have since built careers upon.

Eddie Van Halen brought an entirely different method to the game with tapping and tremolo picking.

Carlos Santana is all about emotion and feel. Saw him recently. Good show.

Can't say much about Garcia other than he popularized (for some) a plinky plinky plinky style of exercising the Mixolydian mode of the major scale. I prefer the sound of the Dorian mode personally.

Back to Gilmour's guitars for sale, they may or may not reach the prices Garcia's axes did. We'll see, but Jerry's guitars were privately commissioned "one off" works of art as instruments themselves. Gilmour's instruments are basically custom shop examples anyone can purchase at any Guitar Center outlet today, value added by provenance. For example, you can purchase off the rack, a Gilmour "inspired" or Clapton "inspired" custom shop Strat just about any day of the week in any GC. None of them will bring the kind of cash Hendrix's white Strat from the Woodstock performance did! shocker

Gilmour is living proof that a guitarist doesn't need blazing speed and endless sweep picking of diminished arpeggios ala Yngwie Malmsteen to impress. Quite the opposite. Those 4 simple notes of "Shine On You Crazy Diamond" are timeless. Just in case you need more proof, click the link below for a real treat. And BTW, it is played with the black Strat that's for sale in the OP. Enjoy!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LyBjrX8jOHw

One of Us
Picture of Wink
posted Hide Post
My favorite version of Comfortably Numb with the black strat. No lights and glitz, just a studio session. I have heard lots of people immitate this guitar solo, but nobody does it like Gilmour.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?...1&list=RDFw_9Xgv_oS0

Whenever anybody else tries to play this they just make it noisy. Only that guitar being played by Gilmour sounds like this. Put on your head-phones and turn it up.

AR, where the hopeless, hysterical hypochondriacs of history become the nattering nabobs of negativisim.

Posts: 7046 | Location: Rambouillet, France | Registered: 25 June 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Todd Williams
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Wink:
My favorite version of Comfortably Numb with the black strat. No lights and glitz, just a studio session. I have heard lots of people immitate this guitar solo, but nobody does it like Gilmour.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?...1&list=RDFw_9Xgv_oS0

Whenever anybody else tries to play this they just make it noisy. Only that guitar being played by Gilmour sounds like this. Put on your head-phones and turn it up.

Good Stuff!!!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

Does it make you feel good to call people a fag?

One of Us
Picture of FMC
posted Hide Post
Not calling anyone out. Just a descriptor for those involved in an activity I thought was really fn lame. (I didn't want to hurt your feelings by saying GAY)

Speaking of Beethoven

https://youtu.be/MZuSaudKc68

The Amsterdam Guitar Trio does a fantastic rendering of The Four seasons:

https://youtu.be/WeCuTHoe8ig

One of Us
Picture of BaxterB
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Todd Williams:
Some good points there Frank.

Page was most definitely near if not at the very top of the list of great guitarists. However, I think Hendrix will always be at the top of the heap simply for the inspiration he brought to the instrument that others have since built careers upon.

Eddie Van Halen brought an entirely different method to the game with tapping and tremolo picking.

Carlos Santana is all about emotion and feel. Saw him recently. Good show.

Can't say much about Garcia other than he popularized (for some) a plinky plinky plinky style of exercising the Mixolydian mode of the major scale. I prefer the sound of the Dorian mode personally.

Back to Gilmour's guitars for sale, they may or may not reach the prices Garcia's axes did. We'll see, but Jerry's guitars were privately commissioned "one off" works of art as instruments themselves. Gilmour's instruments are basically custom shop examples anyone can purchase at any Guitar Center outlet today, value added by provenance. For example, you can purchase off the rack, a Gilmour "inspired" or Clapton "inspired" custom shop Strat just about any day of the week in any GC. None of them will bring the kind of cash Hendrix's white Strat from the Woodstock performance did! shocker

Gilmour is living proof that a guitarist doesn't need blazing speed and endless sweep picking of diminished arpeggios ala Yngwie Malmsteen to impress. Quite the opposite. Those 4 simple notes of "Shine On You Crazy Diamond" are timeless. Just in case you need more proof, click the link below for a real treat. And BTW, it is played with the black Strat that's for sale in the OP. Enjoy!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LyBjrX8jOHw

There only two eras in rock guitar: the one before Hendrix, and the one after.

I’ve been *this* close to Hendrix’s white strat at EMP in Seattle. And awesome thing...

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Not calling anyone out. Just a descriptor for those involved in an activity I thought was really fn lame. (I didn't want to hurt your feelings by saying GAY)

Speaking of Beethoven

https://youtu.be/MZuSaudKc68

The Amsterdam Guitar Trio does a fantastic rendering of The Four seasons:

https://youtu.be/WeCuTHoe8ig

You are calling people out, by calling them fags for loving music, that you don’t like. A pretty harmless hobby. But hey, thank god I don’t have to interact with people like you, except for the internet.

I’ve played in cover bands that played a lot of Pink Floyd. And Grateful Dead.

One of Us
Picture of Todd Williams
posted Hide Post
Well, I'd say I nailed it.

The black Strat did indeed beat the auction estimate.

Estimated to go for $100,000 to $150,000. Went for, wait for it ... wait ... $3.975 MILLION!!!

https://www.usatoday.com/story...today-newstopstories

Tell us again how Glimour's guitars were not going to top Garcia's?

Only thing, Gilmour donated the entire $21 Million raised by the auction to fight climate change. I can't imagine being so frivolous as to piss away $21M on a political farce. But it's his to piss away.

One of Us
Picture of BaxterB
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Todd Williams:
Well, I'd say I nailed it.

The black Strat did indeed beat the auction estimate.

Estimated to go for $100,000 to $150,000. Went for, wait for it ... wait ... $3.975 MILLION!!!

https://www.usatoday.com/story...today-newstopstories

Tell us again how Glimour's guitars were not going to top Garcia's?

Only thing, Gilmour donated the entire $21 Million raised by the auction to fight climate change. I can't imagine being so frivolous as to piss away $21M on a political farce. But it's his to piss away.

And they all said Syd Barret was the crazy one...

One of Us
posted Hide Post
There a lot of professionally trained studio guitarist you have never heard of that can play a lick (Juliart alums).
How about ole" Chet Atkins.
Stevie Rays "Little Wing" rendition.
Mark Knopfler "Telegraph road"

All these noted guitar players aspired to have their roots in Mississippi delta blues.
Ever hear of Muscle Shoals, Alabama? They all want that location on their "resumes"

Posts: 3256 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 January 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of NormanConquest
posted Hide Post
I had a friend that would argue with me as he considered Mark Knopfler to be a better guitarist than Eric Clapton. I like Knopfler but I still maintain Clapton.

Never mistake motion for action.

Posts: 17357 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 11 March 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Both composed real music. Strayed away from POP. Put real feeling in their music.
I like the guys that used their fingers in lieu of a PIC.
Both guys look like old professors these days. Enjoy both.

quote:
Originally posted by NormanConquest:
I had a friend that would argue with me as he considered Mark Knopfler to be a better guitarist than Eric Clapton. I like Knopfler but I still maintain Clapton.

Posts: 3256 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 January 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of NormanConquest
posted Hide Post
Well even with appearances I suppose they are. Even in the advent of the teens of the jazz movement, the piano players from Scott Joplin on down played in the black whorehouses + were termed 'professor'.

Never mistake motion for action.

Posts: 17357 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 11 March 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of BaxterB
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by NormanConquest:

Have to agree with your friend.