Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

"The Big Yellow Safe." Login/Join 
One of Us
posted

Posts: 2663 | Location: Lone Star State | Registered: 12 November 2010Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of fla3006
posted Hide Post
For less money, one can purchase a TRTL30 rated safe almost as big offering far greater security.

NRA Life Member, Band of Bubbas Charter Member, PGCA, DRSS.
Shoot & hunt with vintage classics.

Posts: 9487 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: 11 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I looked at it for that kind of money one could build a whole room with a good vault door.

Posts: 19366 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I like everyone's concept. I'd like a room with a vault door and individual safes bolted down in that room.

Posts: 10010 | Location: Houston, Texas | Registered: 26 December 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by lavaca:
I like everyone's concept. I'd like a room with a vault door and individual safes bolted down in that room.

If one can pour cement you end up with a fire proof vault having more then one safe is a great idea once they break into the room then they have to break into each and every safe.

Time is your friend the more time it take the less likely they well hang around.

Posts: 19366 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
i have something similar in my garage without the cement or the vault. A forth car bay that has a series of safes bolted down. In a row they are impossible to move or extract. I wish I could make a safe room but my water and electrical system are on the back wall and moving those would require a lot of work.

You cannot see the safes from the outside as I have a storage shelf and old screen doors forming a barrier.

Also if someone was trying to break into the safes they would have to break into a series of safes, move cars out of the garage and other stuff around. All this activity would be observed by a multitude of my neighbors.

Mike

Posts: 13145 | Location: Cocoa Beach, Florida | Registered: 22 July 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of NormanConquest
posted Hide Post
I have one built in 1906.Fire rated for 4 hours. The beauty of this old safe is it still has the sodium cyanide ampules under the tumbler. Drill it out.open the door,you're dead.That feature was discontinued as a aside bill attached to the GCA of 1934.

Never mistake motion for action.

Posts: 17357 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 11 March 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Norman, now that is cool. I thought about a halon system in the concrete vault, like you would use in a boat hold. Someone fires up a torch to cut into one of the safes and the vault is flooded with halon, no oxygen. But if someone accidentally got locked in and triggered it they would be dead.

Posts: 10010 | Location: Houston, Texas | Registered: 26 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The wife took my picture standing inside that monster at the NRA convention in Indianapolis a couple years ago.

Posts: 384 | Location: Indiana | Registered: 22 November 2015Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I don't have anything that big. I do have 3' x 3' x 3' safe with an old mechanical Sargent & Greenleaf tumbler. A fellow I knew in Venezuela had it. He thought it was built in the late 70s or early 80s. When he got fired and was returning to the U.S., he told me I could have it if I could move it. I hired three guys, then went back and hired two more when we couldn't budge it. I don't really use it much because it's a pain in the ass to open; about eleven turns to the right and nine combinations to the left. You miss it by a digit and you have to start over. (No way of memorizing the combination either.)

I have a smaller digitally locked safe that I bought in Indonesia that two men can carry. It is much easier to open. You hit it with a rubber hammer and it surrenders.

With the house monitored by a security company, and security cameras strategically placed for 360 coverage, the safes are just to slow the bad guys down, or keep them occupied while the police swarm the place. The cops have a one mile sprint to get to me, and at night I have about a 3' reach to get to my Smith & Wesson.

A friend in Orange, Texas had a secret room built into his house. It was the size of a normal bedroom, and unrecognizable unless you knew how to make the wall move. I thought that was the coolest feature.

Posts: 13775 | Location: Texas | Registered: 10 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Clayman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Kensco:
A friend in Orange, Texas had a secret room built into his house. It was the size of a normal bedroom, and unrecognizable unless you knew how to make the wall move. I thought that was the coolest feature.

That IS cool. Hopefully it opens with a Hardy Boys-style wall sconce or something! Big Grin

I've seen that giant yellow safe a few times at various NRA meetings and the Harrisburg Outdoor Show. Must be a total pain in the ass to move around.

Posts: 1225 | Location: Gilbertsville, PA | Registered: 08 December 2005Reply With Quote