New
Find
Notify
Tools

Is Redneck a repulsive term? Login/Join 
One of Us
posted
Time for a little levity.

Just heard guy on 60 minutes say when he thought of the 'south' he thought of rednecks and bible thumpers. Sounded line he disliked both.

Would you be offended if you were referred to as a 'redneck'?

I certainly am one. Just spent two days reseeding 20 acres. Lots of sun and wind.

Support the Rocky Mountain Elk Foundation

Posts: 272 | Location: Central KY | Registered: 01 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
consider the source.

I'd be pleased to be part of Redneck America.

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I've hunted a little in north ID. Most of those I've talked with were either 'wind and sun' folks or worked for the Forest Service.

T'aint many stock brokers in Challis beer .

One of Us
posted Hide Post
It's kinda like the word "nigger". It depends on who's saying it whether or not it's offensive. If you or I say it, we are ridden out of town on a rail; if Eddie Murphy sez "nigger", he's paid about a gazillon dollars an appearance.
Most of the types you see on TV are using it as an offensive word. However, considering who those people are, I'm glad to include myself amongst the rednecks.

Aim for the exit hole

Posts: 4348 | Location: middle tenn | Registered: 09 December 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of CoyoteKiller82
posted Hide Post
I get called a "redneck" every day & you know what...it doesn't bother me none!!

Posts: 504 | Location: Manitoba, Canada | Registered: 03 December 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of WoodHunter
posted Hide Post
Redneck: A member of the Southern Rural Labor Class.

Being from Coastal Georgia, and having worked with my hands all my life, I fit the category. I was working in my Dad's Truck Repair shop when I was 8 years old and loved every minute of it.

However the term many years ago referred to farmers and field workers that were sunburned on their necks, as they wore hats & long sleeve shirts to keep the hot Southern sun at bay.

Most folks, especially if they did not grow up in the "Real South", have no clue as to what the term really means.

A real Redneck loves his country, is mechanically minded, owns guns, hunts, fishes, sometimes works off the land, often is a skilled craftsman, and is the guy you can count on when you are really in trouble and need help.

When it comes to huddling behind a big rock or a log with our hunting rifles to keep the gang bangers and other invaders at bay, you betcha we Rednecks will be the first to protect the neighborhoods.

Posts: 1457 | Location: Running With The Hounds | Registered: 28 April 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by WoodHunter:
Redneck: A member of the Southern Rural Labor Class.

Being from Coastal Georgia, and having worked with my hands all my life, I fit the category. I was working in my Dad's Truck Repair shop when I was 8 years old and loved every minute of it.

However the term many years ago referred to farmers and field workers that were sunburned on their necks, as they wore hats & long sleeve shirts to keep the hot Southern sun at bay.

Most folks, especially if they did not grow up in the "Real South", have no clue as to what the term really means.

A real Redneck loves his country, is mechanically minded, owns guns, hunts, fishes, sometimes works off the land, often is a skilled craftsman, and is the guy you can count on when you are really in trouble and need help.

When it comes to huddling behind a big rock or a log with our hunting rifles to keep the gang bangers and other invaders at bay, you betcha we Rednecks will be the first to protect the neighborhoods.

Very nicely stated.

One of Us
Picture of sam308
posted Hide Post
Like anything else it can be a derogatory term. When I refer to someone as a redneck it is usually with affection. With non-rednecks it is normally used to demean a certain class of people.
I grew up on a dairy farm in southern Missouri and consider myself a redneck.
My qualifications: white, semi-southern, rural, christian, hunter, fisherman, gun owner, driver of an american made 4x4 truck, veteran, and I work for a living.

Posts: 344 | Location: Kansas | Registered: 27 July 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of WoodHunter
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sam308:
Like anything else it can be a derogatory term. When I refer to someone as a redneck it is usually with affection. With non-rednecks it is normally used to demean a certain class of people.
I grew up on a dairy farm in southern Missouri and consider myself a redneck.
My qualifications: white, semi-southern, rural, christian, hunter, fisherman, gun owner, driver of an american made 4x4 truck, veteran, and I work for a living.

Roger that!

Especially the work part.

Fords and a Freightliner on the farm, nothing assembled offshore.

Posts: 1457 | Location: Running With The Hounds | Registered: 28 April 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Kabluewy
posted Hide Post
It's kinda like the word "Bubba", which can be a friend or a derogatory term. It all depends on who is saying it, and the context.

How about Bubbe? Is that a lesbian redneck? Wink Or perhaps a lesbian feminist advocate?

KB

~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~

~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~

Posts: 12818 | Registered: 16 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of WoodHunter
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Kabluewy:
It's kinda like the word "Bubba", which can be a friend or a derogatory term. It all depends on who is saying it, and the context.

How about Bubbe? Is that a lesbian redneck? Wink Or perhaps a lesbian feminist advocate?

KB

Bubbette: Female Redneck. She knows how to use a rifle also.

Where "I Come From" there ain't no lesbian Redneck Women, just gals with T-shirts and tight cut offs.

Alan Jackson, just ask him.

One of Us
Picture of zimbabwe
posted Hide Post
Most have no idea where the term came from and generally just use it as a demeaning description of a southern rural person. When plowing was generally done with a mule the commands for left and right were generally verbal--Gee and Haw. The rein was a cotton plowline attached to one side of the bit and run back and around the neck of the plower and on to the other side of the bit. The plower could control the straightness of the furrow by verbal commands and then just pull back with his head to stop,relieving both hands to be on the plowshare. This soft cotton plowline abraded the neck keeping it continually red --ergo 'REDNECK' was born. Incidentally the traditional garb of a person plowing a field was bib overalls with no shirt and large straw hat. Much cooler that way. I have seen my Grandfather plow many a mile so attired and controlling his mule with such a plowline. I'm ABSOLUTELY sure he was a 'redneck' and one of the finest gentlemen who ever lived.

SCI Life Member
NRA Patron Life Member
DRSS

Posts: 2786 | Location: Green Valley,Az | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Zimbabwe:

I made my post to hopefully create a little lightness.

Your response is the best statement I have seen on the source of the term. I had always assumed it was coined to describe the red neck of the sunburned field worker. Never saw a logical explanation before.

I have plowed a little using a pair of Percherons, but used leather lines tied to the plow, and 'Whoa' command to stop. Did so because my grandfather said so. I never saw my father in the fields.

One of Us
Picture of zimbabwe
posted Hide Post
I was born raised and educated in Mississippi and this explanation was given to me by an English professor at Mississippi State. He had put considerable research into old southern sayings and had such documentation as he could find on the subject. He also bemoaned the loss of the front porch in small southern towns. He believed that society was the loser as people used to sit on the front porch in the evening and they would speak to passersby thereby increasing the communication and civility of the neighborhood. I always believed him to be correct in this also. He was a most perceptive individual and a fine English Professor.

SCI Life Member
NRA Patron Life Member
DRSS

Posts: 2786 | Location: Green Valley,Az | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
How about Bubbe? Is that a lesbian redneck? Or perhaps a lesbian feminist advocate?

"Bubbe" is yiddish for grandmother. I recommend Leo Rosten's, "The Joys of Yiddish" for further reading......or a Jewish Wife.

xxxxxxxxxx
When considering US based operations of guides/outfitters, check and see if they are NRA members. If not, why support someone who doesn't support us? Consider spending your money elsewhere.

NEVER, EVER book a hunt with BLAIR WORLDWIDE HUNTING or JEFF BLAIR.

I have come to understand that in hunting, the goal is not the goal but the process.

Posts: 17099 | Location: Texas USA | Registered: 07 May 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
My understanding of "redneck" goes back quite a bit further. To plantation days. The owners and overseers rode horses as they traveled about the fields. To make sure that they stayed as white as possible, they wore dusters and even gloves. The broad brimmed planter's hat was obligatory. Since they rode erect and never stooped their face and neck remained white.
Only the poor whites and bond servants had to hoe the fields and stoop to work the crops. And their heads had to be tipped forward to see what they were doing. Thus their necks got red or tanned.
Even back then, it was a term of dirision for someone that was too poor to own slaves and had to work in the fields themselves.

Aim for the exit hole

Posts: 4348 | Location: middle tenn | Registered: 09 December 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
Zim: Elegant descriptions. The term's commonly understood meaning has changed over time, but no longer seems to have the strong political connotation it had in the late '60s and '70s.
Another term no longer acceptable but derived from the result of physical labor is "wetback." At one point it was simply descriptive of someone who performed day-long stoop labor under a hot sun.

There is hope, even when your brain tells you there isn’t.
– John Green, author

Posts: 16398 | Location: Sweetwater, TX | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of zimbabwe
posted Hide Post
Bill/Oregon ---- I have heard the term 'wetback' all my life and NEVER heard it used in any connotation other than as an illegal Mexican person. Derived from a 'wetback' acquired from swimming the Rio Grande river to get to the US. Rarely used now as most illegals come in thru the deserts of Arizona so don't have to swim the Rio Grande and most are not even called illegal aliens any more as that is not 'politically correct'. As far as 'redneck' goes it has also been used to describe Presbyterians and coal miners,but for other reasons than for a 'redneck'. Mostly for a red neckerchief. I shall have to ask my brother to do a study on the etymology of the words. He has the Phd in Linguistics not me. My knowledge is not the result of any particular research on my part just explanations given me by people I judge to be knowledgable in the subject.

SCI Life Member
NRA Patron Life Member
DRSS