THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM MISCELLANEOUS FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Other Topics  Hop To Forums  Miscellaneous Topics    Oppsie! LAPD Swat loses machine guns.......

Moderators: Canuck
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Oppsie! LAPD Swat loses machine guns....... Login/Join 
one of us
posted
quote:
Cache of LAPD Submachine Guns Stolen
Monday, 17 Oct 2011, 5:38 PM CDT

(NewsCore) - LOS ANGELES -- A cache of Los Angeles Police Department (LAPD) submachine guns and large-caliber handguns was stolen last week from a training site used by the department's elite SWAT unit, the Los Angeles Times reported Monday.

The guns had been altered by police to only fire blanks, but police told the Times that they were concerned the firearms could be readjusted back to their original lethal capabilities.

"This is a big deal," LAPD Deputy Chief Michael Downing said. "We're concerned. We want to recover them."

The weapons were stolen after being stored in a lock box on the first floor of a 14-story downtown Los Angeles structure, known as the Kennedy Building. The guns -- which included 21 MP-5 submachine guns and 12 large-caliber handguns -- were moved to the building Wednesday evening in preparation for a Thursday morning training session.

The theft was discovered at 9:00am local time Thursday when an officer arrived at the Kennedy Building.

Although unguarded by officers, the LAPD believed the building was secure due to numerous bolt locks, a metal roll gate, and two internal doors.

"I guess 'secure' is all relative now," Downing told the Times. "It's embarrassing ... It's a lesson learned."

Downing said that the department was investigating the break-in and "working on leads." Downing said investigators were not ruling out the possibility that the heist was an inside job.

The Kennedy Building was well known to the public as an LAPD training center. Officers are routinely seen entering and exiting the building, and the site has previously been the target of public demonstrations.

The break-in is particularly embarrassing for the SWAT unit, which specializes in high-risk situations and prides itself in far-sighted planning during dangerous missions.

Downing did not specify if any officers would be disciplined over the gaffe, but said "appropriate measures" had been taken.

xxxxxxxxxx
When considering US based operations of guides/outfitters, check and see if they are NRA members. If not, why support someone who doesn't support us? Consider spending your money elsewhere.

NEVER, EVER book a hunt with BLAIR WORLDWIDE HUNTING or JEFF BLAIR.

I have come to understand that in hunting, the goal is not the goal but the process.

Posts: 17099 | Location: Texas USA | Registered: 07 May 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
LEO rule of thumb: the Chief says this happened on my watch, I will take the responsibility.

translation into english: nobody is going to get fired, but I will raise my voice at two or three people.

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I guess an inside job!
Peter.

Be without fear in the face of your enemies. Be brave and upright, that God may love thee. Speak the truth always, even if it leads to your death. Safeguard the helpless and do no wrong;

Posts: 10510 | Location: Jacksonville, Florida | Registered: 09 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
look for the cop who just bought a new car and you will have the suspect rotflmo

Posts: 3818 | Location: kenya, tanzania,RSA,Uganda or Ethophia depending on day of the week | Registered: 27 May 2009Reply With Quote

Picture of Mark
posted Hide Post
Good thing it was the cops and not some class three dealer that got ripped off, being "embarrassed" would probably be the least of his worries.

for every hour in front of the computer you should have 3 hours outside

Posts: 7763 | Location: Between 2 rivers, Middle USA | Registered: 19 August 2000Reply With Quote