Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Indoor surveillance cameras? Login/Join 
one of us
posted
Anyone know of any cameras that don't look like cameras? I want to be able to plant them unobtrusively around the house. Everything I have seen screams "camera".
Peter.

Be without fear in the face of your enemies. Be brave and upright, that God may love thee. Speak the truth always, even if it leads to your death. Safeguard the helpless and do no wrong;

Posts: 10510 | Location: Jacksonville, Florida | Registered: 09 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Nest cameras are pretty good. I should get them. But I recently disconnected the software for nest from my iPhone for the nest doorbell. Got tired of updates that was mainly me leaving the house.

I will be getting some in the near future.

Overall I like best products and love their doorlock.

Mike

Posts: 13145 | Location: Cocoa Beach, Florida | Registered: 22 July 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
bout a year ago when we were going to austin weekly and having various neighbors in to feed and let out the dog i got a real small black box camera (3/4" x 1")? off amazon that was billed as a spy survelliance device. it was easy enough to hide in plain sight on a book/knick knack shelf but had to have 10 seconds of movement to kick in. motion activated. said it only needed 2 seconds in instructions. caught nothing but blurs, front door open, etc. was worthless. just something to consider and be aware of.

Posts: 1532 | Location: south of austin texas | Registered: 25 November 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of NormanConquest
posted Hide Post
My son set me up with a super-duper series of cameras after someone tried to break into my shop. My entrance door used to be the vault door for Certified Savings Bank in Georgetown but folks will still try. When we were renovating the bank several years ago + installing a new HVAC sytem they were hauling out the door (8 Mexicans strong) so I asked the job super what they were gonna do with it + he said sell it for scrap. I asked him what he wanted for it + he said, "You got a couple of rolls of duct tape?" I told the boys to load it in my truck. Back to your original question, I don't know jack about surveillance systems like that; that's why my son did it for me. But here's an interesting little story. I have a friend whose house is se up when you enter the front door you go down a hallway that deadens to left + right. At the end of the hallway in plain sight, the 1st thing you would see was an old wall hanger B.P. pistol. No value really. But when his wife enters the house, if that pistol is missing get out of the house + call 911.

Never mistake motion for action.

Posts: 17357 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 11 March 2013Reply With Quote

Picture of Mark
posted Hide Post
I recently bought a motion camera that is also a plug-in usb charger, but I haven't tried it yet so can't vouch for how well it works but it's pretty impossible to tell it's a camera. They are on ebay for ~10$, search "usb charger camera".

Also, it just plugs into the wall so no worry about running a power cord or figuring out a battery.

for every hour in front of the computer you should have 3 hours outside

Posts: 7763 | Location: Between 2 rivers, Middle USA | Registered: 19 August 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
My eldest son on the next property over installed a "dummy" camera just as a possible deterrent. He also placed signs on the doors letting everyone know that his Dad (me) WILL shoot you. I seem to have developed a reputation because I always carry a 1911 + have on occasion fired rounds at the feet of potential trespassers, sometimes overhead. The word does get out. Besides out here in the country when you also have a backhoe, that gives one cause to think.

Posts: 17357 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 11 March 2013Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thank you gentlemen! Mark, I would be interested in knowing about your experience with those usb charger/camera devices. I am concerned whether they would adequately show images " higher up" as all my outlets are about 1 foot off the floor. Presumably these devices have micro flash memory cards as opposed to wireless communication with a storage device.
Peter

Be without fear in the face of your enemies. Be brave and upright, that God may love thee. Speak the truth always, even if it leads to your death. Safeguard the helpless and do no wrong;

Posts: 10510 | Location: Jacksonville, Florida | Registered: 09 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
quote:
Besides out here in the country when you also have a backhoe, that gives one cause to think.

Damn, that's FUNNY! rotflmo

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Use Enough Gun:
quote:
Besides out here in the country when you also have a backhoe, that gives one cause to think.

Damn, that's FUNNY! rotflmo

or a wood chipper

Posts: 1532 | Location: south of austin texas | Registered: 25 November 2011Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I know a number of people that use Blink cameras and like them. https://www.amazon.com/stores/...36-B933-E62144578691

Posts: 13780 | Location: Texas | Registered: 10 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
All humor aside (kinda), it really sucks getting robbed + it has happened here more times than one + the S.O is worse than useless. When I had a generator stolen + reported it their comment was, "Well what do you want us to do about it?" So, yes having the word go out on the criminal pipeline that there is one crazy M.F. that WILL kill you,+ bury your body I find is a helpful deterrent. Beats the hell out of having to really kill them + then spend the night doing paperwork.