Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Barn raising Login/Join 
One of Us
posted
I went to a Mennonite barn raising thurs. Been to a couple others and was happy to get the invite.
The first floor was done, about 32 x 80' barn. The hip style trusses were built and stacked on the haybarn floor.
The gable ends were sheathed, and ropes attached. About 15 men on the barn floor (hayloft) pulling the wall upright, with 10 or so men steadying things on the ground outside with more ropes.
As the wall rises, the young men, 6 of them, scramble up the studding into positions. The gable end anchored and braced. The next truss stood up in place, and ribbing handed up to the fellows standing on the framework of the gable. Bang, bang, ribbing attached, next truss stood up. Everything done with hammer and nails. The roofing screwed in with roofing screws put in with braces to turn them, no cordless screw guns.
When it's lunch time, the women and girls start bringing out the food. Fried chicken, mashed potatoes, veggies, salads. If a plate starts to run down of something, a woman is there to load it, despite you trying to wave them off! Then the pies come out, every kind you can think of, some I've never tried, but I stay with my favorites. Water, milk and coffee for drinks.
Then bowls of "treats" come out, after the plates are cleared. The bowls have various chocolate bars and swisher sweet cigars.
While the men rest for a bit, the women sit and eat next.
While the resting is going on, the young men and teens have wrestling matches, while the married men watch. I couldnt stand it, so asked who would wrestle me. Some of them looked to the elders, who I think frowned at them.
I then offered to wrestle any two of them. The elders must have thought that would be fun, and I see a little nod. They are strong young fellows, but no training of course. I went through a couple pair of them. Then I had this skinny little teen wrapped around the back of my leg with his arms and legs. I dont know if he just jumped in on his own or if the men added him to the mix. The men were roaring with laughter as I hobbled around keeping the other two busy with that little rat clinging to my leg.
After the break, the roof was finished by 5 pm. The only time a ladder was used, was to get the men off the roof when done. Then ice cream and cookies came out. I headed out as I still had work at home to do, but it was a very fun day. If you ever get a chance to join one, it's a great lesson in working in unison. They all know what to do, and everything goes as smooth as can be.

One of Us
Picture of Aspen Hill Adventures
posted Hide Post
That sounds like fun.

~Ann

Posts: 19149 | Location: The LOST Nation | Registered: 27 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
I'd have loved to have seen a Youtube of that! It is gratifying to know such people with such skills still exist in this world.

There is hope, even when your brain tells you there isn’t.
– John Green, author

Posts: 16367 | Location: Sweetwater, TX | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Bill, they dont mind a few pictures of the project, but they dont want their faces in any of them. I dont know why, but it's their wish.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have always had a great respect for those folks, their beliefs + independence.

Posts: 4199 | Location: Austin,Texas | Registered: 08 April 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of richj
posted Hide Post
wow, that sounds amazing.

Posts: 6384 | Location: NY, NY | Registered: 28 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Several years ago, we had a major tornado just up the road from us in Jarrell, Tx. The Amish sent in some vans from Penn. with carpenters to help rebuild. They asked only for a place to stay while they were there working. After the frame carpenters were done, they left, + the next crew of trim carpenters would arrive when needed. They did have power tools, but said that they were owned by the community, not individuals. In talking with them, I was told that they all volunteered for the job + that while they were here helping out, their neighbors took care of their farms, + it was reciprocated to the other crews.

Posts: 4199 | Location: Austin,Texas | Registered: 08 April 2006Reply With Quote