Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Field & Stream Login/Join 
one of us
posted
A few years ago Dick's Sporting Goods and Field & Stream started operating from under the same roof. Today was the first time I was in one of their stores. Field & Stream looks like a Junior Cabela's. I bought a couple of boxes of F&S branded 9mm at $9.95 a box. The price was right, we'll see how they shoot.

What worries me is that F&S opened in Prosper, Texas less than five miles from where Gander Mountain opened a new "super" store in Frisco, and failed in less than a year. Not a good indicator.

Today at F&S sales personnel outnumbered customers by about four to one. Not a good indicator.

Gander Mountain failed to have competitive prices. We'll see how F&S deals with that.

Do any of you shop at a Field & Stream?

Posts: 13780 | Location: Texas | Registered: 10 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of custombolt
posted Hide Post
Went into a F&S a half hour from here once a year or so ago. Customers were sparse there too. Didn't see any deals in ammo or any sale items, it was full boat retail pretty much.
Used to really like the local Gander Mt. and they used to have lots of used guns and deals on ammo frequently. But about ten years ago they started scaling back on a lot of outdoor hunting and fishing stuff then closed that store for good in January of '16.

Life itself is a gift. Live it up if you can.

Posts: 5116 | Location: Near Hershey PA | Registered: 12 October 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of NormanConquest
posted Hide Post
I used to buy mail order stuff from Gander Mnt. in the 60's. Never heard of F+S. I was in Springfield,Mo. in 77 when they started this little store called Bass Pro Shop.We had for a short time here a store called Sportsmans Warehouse. This is a hard market to break into.

Never mistake motion for action.

Posts: 17357 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 11 March 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of NormanConquest
posted Hide Post
O.K. Going back many years when I built rifles + did a fair bit of business w/ Brownells (best folks on the planet),Bob Brownell made the comment that made a big difference to me.Wording is bound to be incorrect over so many years but the message is the same.Buy from your local gun store that knows what he's doing;avoid the chains that have no real help at the counter.When you have paid your hard earned money,you want to go back to a well trained counter staff that understands product.That is why Brownell's stands head + shoulders above everyone else.THey give quality service + products;however they are NOT in the same mkt. as the big box stores that could'nt give a rip about you after the sale.

Never mistake motion for action.

Posts: 17357 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 11 March 2013Reply With Quote