THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM MISCELLANEOUS FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Other Topics  Hop To Forums  Miscellaneous Topics    Southeast Idaho Residents- retirement property q's

Moderators: Canuck
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Southeast Idaho Residents- retirement property q's Login/Join 
One of Us
Picture of lee440
posted
I am thinking about making a trip soon, probably fly into Pocatello and spend a week just looking around that part of the state. I am getting near retirement and pretty sick of living in jammed up Houston, too damn many people! I have looked online at land and houses in Idaho and decided it looked good enough to make a recon trip with the wife, to see if it is a doable proposition. I wonder if any of you natives can give me advice about areas to look at, places or things to avoid, whether winters are survivable for thin blooded Southerners? Not rich, or even close... would like some acreage with house that the roads are accessible year round. I have a feeling that some of the homes on the net are summer type and not necessarily accessible easily year round. Just any general info would be much appreciated! Hope this is the right section to post this! Lee.

DRSS(We Band of Bubba's Div.)
N.R.A (Life)
T.S.R.A (Life)
D.S.C.

Posts: 2268 | Location: Texas | Registered: 18 May 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
This is definitely the right section to post it. That way we can all get on the list to come visit you when you get moved in.

If you pull this off, you're my hero. My wife thinks Dallas is too cold in the winter. What I wouldn't give to live in Idaho, Montana, or that big country just to the north.

Posts: 13780 | Location: Texas | Registered: 10 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Kensco:
This is definitely the right section to post it. That way we can all get on the list to come visit you when you get moved in.

If you pull this off, you're my hero. My wife thinks Dallas is too cold in the winter. What I wouldn't give to live in Idaho, Montana, or that big country just to the north.

Apparently divorces are too expensive? Big Grin

xxxxxxxxxx
When considering US based operations of guides/outfitters, check and see if they are NRA members. If not, why support someone who doesn't support us? Consider spending your money elsewhere.

NEVER, EVER book a hunt with BLAIR WORLDWIDE HUNTING or JEFF BLAIR.

I have come to understand that in hunting, the goal is not the goal but the process.

Posts: 17099 | Location: Texas USA | Registered: 07 May 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Been there, done that, can't afford that again.

Posts: 13780 | Location: Texas | Registered: 10 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Lee

Also look at the area around Boise, Ketchum, Cascade, McCall, Grangeville, Orifino, Elk City Hayden, and Sand Point.

In Montana look at the area around Troy, Libby, Missoula, and Eureka.

And if you want to stay in Texas, take a look at the area around Canton, Athens, Palestine, and Tyler.

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of fla3006
posted Hide Post
Per capita tax burdens (including state income taxes) in Idaho & MT are higher, perhaps other costs of living are lower, don't know, but I doubt it. Nice, beautiful places to live though.

NRA Life Member, Band of Bubbas Charter Member, PGCA, DRSS.
Shoot & hunt with vintage classics.

Posts: 9487 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: 11 January 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Vanderhoef
posted Hide Post
Grew up in Idaho, have property there, and visit family there annually.

Prop values are still down statewide but are on the up swing (fingers crossed). Eastern ID is going to be the least expensive, generally speaking. McCall area is picking up, albeit slowly, but if you can handle the snow then it's still a good time to buy. Ketchum/SV is and always will be VERY expensive but if the glitzy lifestyle is your cup o' tea then have at it (never was fond of the immediate area myself). Boise/Treasure Valley is ok but is getting crowded and IMO the weather just sucks--cold but not much snow in the winter and the summers are often hotter than what you're used to in Houston. North Idaho has become quite the destination, where Couer d' alene used to be the only claim to fame, now Sandpoint is making a name for itself.
So basically, if cost is not an option and you can handle the winters then I'd look at central/northern ID.
If you want more bang for your buck and are willing to commute to the mountains then southern and eastern ID are the places to look.

I'll add this: IMO the weather anywhere in ID is fairly severe--the areas that don't have 8 month winters can be brutally hot in the summer.

For me, I think I have the best of both worlds: live in TX (great economy and easy to travel in/out of), ranch in the hill country (where I plan to retire), and visit ID a couple times a year to enjoy what it has to offer. I'D NEVER MOVE BACK!

Hope this helps!

Regards,
Scott

"....but to protest against all hunting of game is a sign of softness of head, not of soundness of heart."
Theodore Roosevelt

Posts: 466 | Location: Just west of Cleo, TX | Registered: 20 February 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of dempsey
posted Hide Post
I live in Montana but my view likely applies to Idaho as well......there are places all over the State that most people have probably never heard of that can offer a nice place to live. The geography can vary from steep, almost far Northwest like rain forests to dry flat lands. Weather in all seasons can be mild in places like Missoula or brutal in places like North East Montana.

Head up and just do a lot of driving around. I couldn't live anywhere else but Montana or parts of Idaho or Wyoming. It's a different planet compared to places like Houston.

Posts: 6205 | Location: Cascade, MT | Registered: 12 February 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
You will be much happier in the SW part of the state. I have lived 20mi west of Boise since 1978, and prefer to not even visit the east part of the state.

PM me if you want details.

Rich

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
hell boys talk about being hot we had a string of 112 days here that about kill me last year.

Posts: 87 | Location: oklahoma | Registered: 27 December 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Lee and his lovely wife were here last week.

I think they liked the Treasure Valley (Boise/Nampa) area.

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of lee440
posted Hide Post
Had a good visit with Rich. To tell the truth, I did not find anything not to like in Idaho! I put 1300 miles on the rental and another 500 on a Harley Ultraglide I rented in Twin Falls. Terry and I covered a lot of ground and met lots of nice people. We will make another trip up next year and cover the northern part of the state. We were both very impressed with the state, very clean, and folks know how to drive courteously, not like the death drivers in Texas! A really great place, Terry did not want to leave and told me if I left her there, she would find us a place to live and wait for me to get everything moved up, What a Deal !! Thanks again to Rich and his lovely wife for a great visit and lots of info on where to go!

DRSS(We Band of Bubba's Div.)
N.R.A (Life)
T.S.R.A (Life)
D.S.C.

Posts: 2268 | Location: Texas | Registered: 18 May 2004Reply With Quote