Notify
Tools

Remember When Login/Join 
one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Kensco:
I still want a free glass when I fill-up with gas.

I remember drinking a ton of Kool-Aid out of those anodized aluminum tumblers they used to give away with a fill-up at an Esso/Enco station. "Put a tiger in your tank!"

Cool

There is hope, even when your brain tells you there isn’t.
– John Green, author

Posts: 16419 | Location: Sweetwater, TX | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I remember going to the double-feature on Saturday morning during the summer back in the mid-50s. Seemed like it started with a cartoon, and between the features some guy got on stage and called out winning ticket numbers I never got called so I don't remember what I would have won. (I think it was like a box of popcorn, or something else from the concession stand.)

I do remember riding home from the theater one Saturday with someone else's mother. There was a carload of us kids. She was smoking a cigarette and a hot ash dropped down the cleavage of her dress. It was pure bedlam for a minute or so, while the car went every direction as she fought to put out the burning embers, brought the car to a stop, and fished around in her bra. She was a big woman. (That was the most I ever saw of a woman; up to that time.)

I don't remember her cussing, but she was making a lot of noise. Scared the shit out of us. We thought we were all going to die.

Posts: 13784 | Location: Texas | Registered: 10 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of NormanConquest
posted Hide Post
I remember the Saturday movies + the serials that preceded them. We'd go every Saturday just to keep up with the serials. I also recall the drive-ins + the plethora of African spin-offs in the late '50s + early 60's thanks to Ruark's writings that made them a popular craze (that I still haven't got over).

Never mistake motion for action.

Posts: 17357 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 11 March 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
We got our first TV in 1954 when living on the military base in Fairbanks, Alaska. I believe it was on from 8am-10pm. We watched a lot of "test pattern" as we had never seen a TV before.
Remember the dimmer switch on the floor and so was the starter switch on a couple cars, then it was a push button on the dash. Our first washing machine was a gasoline powered Maytag. He bought the deluxe with the 2 cyl. motor.
After breakfast we were run out of the house until we had a Tuna sandwich for lunch and back outside until the evening meal (pot of pinto beans or gravy and bread).
I sure cherish my growing up!

Posts: 8964 | Location: Poetry, Texas | Registered: 28 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I had a 57 Apache Chevy P.U. w/ the floor starter. Starting it on an incline was a heel + toe exercise using the starter, clutch, brake,+ gas.

Posts: 17357 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 11 March 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Butch, you were one of the lucky kids that got tuna sandwiches. I remember when my mom discovered spam.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I remember the 1st color T.V. set I ever saw in the early-mid '60s. I went to neighbors to look at it + was amazed at how blue Maxwell Smart's suit was. I can still see it.

one of us
posted Hide Post
...you and your wife raised your own kids by yourself without needing your parents to be full-time chauffeurs, baby sitters, care givers, etc.

It's a different generation. Young parents these days expect the grandparents to live as close as possible, and when they yell "wolf" they expect the grandparents to drop everything and come running.

Makes you wonder what they are going to miss most when you die......probably that nice safety net they surround themselves with.

Posts: 13784 | Location: Texas | Registered: 10 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
First McDonalds I saw was was 5 cents in Ohio...

TomP

Our country, right or wrong. When right, to be kept right, when wrong to be put right.

Carl Schurz (1829 - 1906)

Posts: 14391 | Location: Moreno Valley CA USA | Registered: 20 November 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by NormanConquest:
Butch, you were one of the lucky kids that got tuna sandwiches. I remember when my mom discovered spam.

You know, I had a Spam sandwich last week for the first time in probably 60years. It weren't too bad. My wife still remembers the tuna sandwich smell in my school locker.

Posts: 8964 | Location: Poetry, Texas | Registered: 28 November 2004Reply With Quote