Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Tornado Shelters Login/Join 
One of Us
posted
I saw some comments about a "bomb shelter or tornado shelter" on the thread about the hunting ranch in Grayson County. I don't like tornadoes either, they scare the hell out of me...so, for those of you in north Texas, the North Central Texas Council of Government has a cost share program for tornado shelters or safe rooms (they rebate 50% of the cost). It can be underground, in a closet, under a stairway or freestanding in a garage. It's a somewhat long application process, you are put on a waiting list once approved but the list shrinks pretty damn fast once many applicants realizes this is a rebate and not an outright grant. We got on the list about 18 months ago and ours was installed this past Friday, 4' x 5' x7' tall, made from 3/16' A36 steel and powdercoated to match the gun safe in my master closet (which is where the shelter is installed). Plenty of room for my wife, two hound dogs and I and can double as a safe room, inward swinging door with two deadbolts and four 1 1/8" throw bolts, bolted to the concrete foundation with 24 anchor bolts.
Just throwing this out there for those that might be interested. I believe FEMA has a similar program.

Karl Evans

Posts: 2745 | Location: Emhouse, Tx | Registered: 03 February 2010Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
he North Central Texas Council of Government has a cost share program for tornado shelters

quote:
Due to current funding limitations the NCT Safe Room Program waitlist will be closed as of May 27, 2016. It will reopen by county as funding allows. We will continue to award rebates to those currently on the waitlist as funding allows, but no new registrations will be accepted after this date.

quote:
Be living or developing in one of the sixteen counties in the NCTCOG region.
Eligible counties include: Collin, Dallas, Denton, Erath, Ellis, Hood, Hunt, Johnson, Kaufman, Navarro, Palo Pinto, Parker, Rockwall, Somervell, Tarrant, and Wise.

Posts: 17099 | Location: Texas USA | Registered: 07 May 2001Reply With Quote