Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Cabelas and Remington 700s Login/Join 
One of Us
posted
Didn't know where to put this so here it is. I took a Remington 700 to my local Cabelas to trade on another rifle and was told they would not take a Remington 700 in trade. This is because of the trigger recall on some rifles. Mine was not in the recall group but they would not take 15 seconds to verify on Remington's recall site. Didn't matter since it was now "policy". The ten or so they had on the used rack weren't affected I guess. I called corporate and complained that should be noted on their Gun Library site. Got the fog. Cost me 1/2 a day, 26 bucks to have the gun I wanted shipped in and 150 miles of driving.

Posts: 3073 | Location: Pittsburgh, PA | Registered: 11 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
So sell it FTF private sale then take the cash and make a better deal on the one you want.

Trading firearms like cars at a dealer is not the best way to get the most money.

Posts: 19389 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Cabelas is not the place to get fair value for your guns. They're just employees, and most know far less about current values in the market than we do.

Posts: 20086 | Location: Very NW NJ up in the Mountains | Registered: 14 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by p dog shooter:
So sell it FTF private sale then take the cash and make a better deal on the one you want.

Trading firearms like cars at a dealer is not the best way to get the most money.

What does "FTF" mean? I have a few guns I'd like to sell myself but I'm not sure how to conduct the transaction other than face-to-face.

Posts: 187 | Location: foothills of NC | Registered: 03 August 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Labman
posted Hide Post
I think you answered your own question. FTF means face to face.

Tom Z

NRA Life Member

Posts: 2296 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: 07 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
As a PA resident a trade at Cabelas saves me $70 in sales tax on a $1K trade. Usually a private sale is OK but I've lost my patience with some of the nonsense you go through. I have no interest in buying from or selling to strangers on the computer. I'm getting old and tired! I was looking for convenience not maximizing my gun's value. My point was to simply save someone else from wasting time.

Posts: 3073 | Location: Pittsburgh, PA | Registered: 11 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Tried the same, wouldn't even look at it. However, they had pulled all the Remingtons off the shelf

Posts: 290 | Location: Western Colorado | Registered: 18 February 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Personally I find FTF private sales to be very quick and easy. Hand over cash walk away with gun. Or take cash hand over gun walk away.

None of your friends want your rifle I could sell a good rifle shotgun or hand gun in a couple of phone calls to my hunting buddies.

Ever more so if I was willing to take trade in price.

The last one I brought the guy handed me the gun said pay me tomorrow. I showed up at his place the next day handed him 100 dollars bills and a 50

One of Us
posted Hide Post
P Dog you are fortunate. Around here pistols and assault weapons are in demand. Rifles and shotguns are tough to sell. In PA the deer hunting is slugs or muzzle loaders in the Pittsburgh and Philadelphia suburbs. In spite of the stock market money is tight. I tried to do a trade because timing was a critical element. The rifle I wanted was not going to sit there very long and I thought a near mint 700CDL Remington in 35 Whelen with Leupold mounts and a Nikon Gold Monarch would be good trade material. I want to reduce the herd not add to it so one has to go before a new one comes home.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Labman:
I think you answered your own question. FTF means face to face.

Daaa,, I must have had a senior moment. Big Grin I should have figured this out myself.

Posts: 187 | Location: foothills of NC | Registered: 03 August 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Dulltool17
posted Hide Post
Yep, you did- by the way- which foothills are you in? I'm over north of Asheville.

Doug Wilhelmi
NRA Life Member

Posts: 7503 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: 15 October 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Dulltool17:
Yep, you did- by the way- which foothills are you in? I'm over north of Asheville.

East side of the Blue Ridge.

one of us
posted Hide Post
FTF could also mean failure to fire or failure to feed !! Roll Eyes

There is an idividual who [rarely ] comes on this forum only to make a comment about how dangerous the older 700 trigger was .So Rem made a new one which quickly was recalled !!! 2020 rotflmo animal

One of Us
Picture of NormanConquest
posted Hide Post
Cabela's or any other successful companies have not been so by giving things away.Profit is the capitalist doctrine,thank God! I am a small business owner in Texas + we believe in free enterprise.That being said,When I was going through my divorce 8 years ago + needed to turn guns into money in a hurry;there was Cabela's;who gave me less than a penny on the dollar.I had to have it or lose property. Simon Legree could'nt have cared less. Times have changed + I have bought back most of my collection but I will never forget that treatment.Cabela's lost more money from me than had they been fair.I'm telling it here,right?

Never mistake motion for action.

Posts: 17357 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 11 March 2013Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
there was Cabela's;who gave me less than a penny on the dollar.I had to have it or lose property. Simon Legree could'nt have cared less. Times have changed

So you sold then a 500 dollar gun for 5 dollars

Next time you are hard up for money come see be I'll give you 2 cents on the dollar

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Cabela's will give you about half the money that they will be able to sell your gun for.

Say for a Ruger #1 that might bring $700 used they will give you $350...

Posts: 13978 | Location: http://www.tarawaontheweb.org/tarawa2.jpg | Registered: 03 December 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
the store in Boise gun library guy told me they seldom go over 60% of what they expect to sell it for...

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Macs B
posted Hide Post
Cabela's store policy is 60-68% of the current blue book value for any gun purchased. Trades are a bit more flexible.

Macs B
U.S. Army Retired
Alles gut!

Posts: 376 | Location: USA | Registered: 07 December 2009Reply With Quote