Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Jeans Login/Join 
One of Us
posted
After trying lots of jeans over the 30 years I have come to the conclusion that Levis 501/505 are the best and probably only jeans I will buy even if I have to buy them someplace other than costco (they carry 514).

I never bought or tired the fancy designer crap jeans.

Mike

Posts: 13145 | Location: Cocoa Beach, Florida | Registered: 22 July 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I grew up wearing Levis' and as far as I know, their quality has not dropped even though they are no longer made in USA. I have also worn Wranglers and am satisfied with them. I like Carhartts better though. But my pick is Duluth Trading Jeans. They come out of the wash looking better than any. They are comfortable. Not jeans, but their Foreman Flex Fire Hose pants have a zipper pocket on the right side and it's the most comfortable way to concealed carry that I have found. They are $65 and have 3 color options--and they're worth the price.

Posts: 3807 | Location: san angelo tx | Registered: 18 November 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of NormanConquest
posted Hide Post
I wore Levis 501's in the 60s (button flap fly). I now only wear the Wranglers slim fit cowboy cut.Comfortable + some of the ladies says they like how my ass looks (cheeky lasses),besides at my age I'll take any compliment I can.

Never mistake motion for action.

Posts: 17357 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 11 March 2013Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have mine custom made by Omar the tentmaker. Big Grin

xxxxxxxxxx
When considering US based operations of guides/outfitters, check and see if they are NRA members. If not, why support someone who doesn't support us? Consider spending your money elsewhere.

NEVER, EVER book a hunt with BLAIR WORLDWIDE HUNTING or JEFF BLAIR.

I have come to understand that in hunting, the goal is not the goal but the process.

Posts: 17099 | Location: Texas USA | Registered: 07 May 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
My feeling is that if you aren't wearing Wranglers, you aren't really with it. I've worn them since I started buying my own pants.

Posts: 13780 | Location: Texas | Registered: 10 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Gatogordo:

Gato, this is the price you so bravely pay on our behalf to bring us your wonderful BBQ joint reviews. Gracias, mi amigo!

beer

That said, I switched from Levi 501s back to the Lees I wore in the 1960s (with surfer T-shirts!), as they fit my skinny tookas OK and cost about half what a pair of Levis costs. Speaking of jean wear, I used to live in my Levi jean jacket, then wore out a couple of the old Lee Storm Riders with corduroy collar and wool blanket lining. Miss that article.

There is hope, even when your brain tells you there isn’t.
– John Green, author

Posts: 16398 | Location: Sweetwater, TX | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:

Yes, Omar is the only one to offer a 56" waist!!!!!! :-)

Posts: 20086 | Location: Very NW NJ up in the Mountains | Registered: 14 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
I never bought or tried the fancy designer crap jeans.

Mike

Mike, you still look best in your weekend sari! :-)

Posts: 20086 | Location: Very NW NJ up in the Mountains | Registered: 14 June 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Omar gives me a discount because he is able to buy denim in larger quantities.

xxxxxxxxxx
When considering US based operations of guides/outfitters, check and see if they are NRA members. If not, why support someone who doesn't support us? Consider spending your money elsewhere.

NEVER, EVER book a hunt with BLAIR WORLDWIDE HUNTING or JEFF BLAIR.

I have come to understand that in hunting, the goal is not the goal but the process.

Posts: 17099 | Location: Texas USA | Registered: 07 May 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I used to be a Levis man, until they got all political in the Gay rights movement, and then moved to China or wherever..

Costco sells the Kirkland for $14. Levis for $35+. They both fade over a two year period, the thigh area where I wipe my hands especially; and I wear holes in them. So, I buy new Kirkland every other year, and my wife makes flannel on the inside baby blanket quilt looking things for the new family arrivals. The hip pocket makes a great place to stash a bottle.

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I prefer Wrangler over Levis.I find Levis too stiff.I now stopped buying jeans and get Wrangler cotton pants instead-much more comfortable and cool looking.They cost around 20 bucks.I will not buy anything from Costco.All they sell is garbage.I buy my Wranglers online from Walmart.I get free shipping too.

Posts: 11651 | Location: Montreal | Registered: 07 November 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I like cargo pants, much better than sitting on a wallet thick with cards and permits (but no money).
There don't seem to be any thick enough to last longer than a couple of years.

TomP

Our country, right or wrong. When right, to be kept right, when wrong to be put right.

Carl Schurz (1829 - 1906)

Posts: 14383 | Location: Moreno Valley CA USA | Registered: 20 November 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I just cannot wrap my mind around the concept of paying $80 or more for a pair of cargo pants so I don't have to sit on my wallet...

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Shit. I can't wrap my head around spending $80 for any pair of pants.

Aim for the exit hole

Posts: 4348 | Location: middle tenn | Registered: 09 December 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Beretta682E:
After trying lots of jeans over the 30 years I have come to the conclusion that Levis 501/505 are the best and probably only jeans I will buy even if I have to buy them someplace other than costco (they carry 514).

I never bought or tired the fancy designer crap jeans.

Mike

Do you get them with or without the LBGT Ribbon stitched on? Just messing with ya.

I've worn Wranglers since corduroy went out of style. I used to wear cowboy cut but since I developed blood clots in my right calf from an old horse wreck, I wear relaxed fit now, they don't feel tight around my calf when it swells.

Posts: 2329 | Location: uSA | Registered: 02 February 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Idaho Sharpshooter:
I just cannot wrap my mind around the concept of paying $80 or more for a pair of cargo pants so I don't have to sit on my wallet...

Walmart has Wranglers for a little less than half that much, but they're just a little thin. My back doesn't like sitting on a wad of permits and club cards, and I don't like putting my wallet on the dashboard (kind of fussy, eh?).

TomP

Our country, right or wrong. When right, to be kept right, when wrong to be put right.

Posts: 14383 | Location: Moreno Valley CA USA | Registered: 20 November 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TomP:
quote:

Walmart has Wranglers for a little less than half that much, but they're just a little thin. My back doesn't like sitting on a wad of permits and club cards, and I don't like putting my wallet on the dashboard (kind of fussy, eh?).

Get one of Will's front pocket money clip/wallet combos.

Love mine

"The rule is perfect: in all matters of opinion our adversaries are insane." Mark Twain
TANSTAAFL

www.savannagems.com A unique way to own a piece of Africa.

DSC Life
NRA Life

Posts: 3386 | Location: Central Texas | Registered: 05 September 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Grew up between Lee's, Levi's, and Wranglers. Now just Wranglers Cowboy Cut and Dickey cargo pants. Dickey's are 1/2 the cost of Carharrt and just as good IMHO.

Oh, and how many here had at least one pair of Toughskins when they are little??

Posts: 222 | Location: Peculiar, MO | Registered: 19 July 2013Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have always been a Levi 505 guy. A year or so ago I went to Farm & Fleet or Kohl's to replace some worn out 505's. Tried them on, bought them and then got home. Something seemed different. It was then I noticed that there were only 5 belt loops on the new pairs versus 7 belt loops on the old ones. It does make a difference especially when carrying CCW.

I then bought a pair of Lee jeans. Not sure the model, but really like the fit and finish. Diamond Gusset also makes comfortable jeans. I have used their khaki jeans in RSA. That gusset in the crotch area really cuts down on binding when you are active.

Posts: 1129 | Location: Land of Lincoln | Registered: 15 June 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
It does all boil down to what you are used to. At the end of the day (being men) we are more concerned for functional comfort than fashion.

Posts: 17357 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 11 March 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I just measured: my wallet is an inch-plus thick.

Translated that means the (very) relaxed fit version...

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
I used to be a Levis man, until they got all political in the Gay rights movement, and then moved to China or wherever..

Costco sells the Kirkland for $14. Levis for $35+. They both fade over a two year period, the thigh area where I wipe my hands especially; and I wear holes in them. So, I buy new Kirkland every other year, and my wife makes flannel on the inside baby blanket quilt looking things for the new family arrivals. The hip pocket makes a great place to stash a bottle.

We have a lot in common.I have worn Levi's most of my life. $65 a pair wasn't that bad considering how long they lasted. About the time they started to get real comfortable the wife would complain I looked like a bum in worn out jeans. So now I wear the $ 15 box store brand and they are pretty good. Four pairs of them go a lot further than 1 pr of Levi's. When the cook starts bitchin I just chuck em.

Posts: 2436 | Location: manitoba canada | Registered: 01 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
A little off the subject, I used to have hip problems constantly. I finally went to the doctors to get checked out.The problem was that I was always sitting on my wallet for most of the day. I started putting my wallet in my front pocket and my hip problems finally went away.Easiest doctors visit I ever had.

Posts: 559 | Location: Michigan, US | Registered: 10 April 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of richj
posted Hide Post
I'm a Lee guy, BTW I heard of a similar problem reported by a guy who carried his snubby in his waistband. Appendicitis

quote:
Originally posted by 69deer:
A little off the subject, I used to have hip problems constantly. I finally went to the doctors to get checked out.The problem was that I was always sitting on my wallet for most of the day. I started putting my wallet in my front pocket and my hip problems finally went away.Easiest doctors visit I ever had.

Posts: 6400 | Location: NY, NY | Registered: 28 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I had hip issuse with my billfold as well so I just keep it in the glovebox + only take it out when I am going to the store,etc.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RCG:Tried them on, bought them and then got home. Something seemed different. It was then I noticed that there were only 5 belt loops on the new pairs versus 7 belt loops on the old ones. It does make a difference especially when carrying CCW.

I had the same problem with my 'regular' jeans not seeming right. Then there was a thread on another site I frequent about the number of belt loops. Sure enough, 5 belt loops. I won't wear jeans with only 5 belt loops now.

I now wear some style of Wranglers, I think. I make sure they have 7 belt loops. I think they are between $15-$20. They don't wear all that long. Once they start showing stains they become my beekeeping jeans. Once they get thin enough the bees can sting through them while dry I toss them. You might be wondering why I wrote sting through them dry. Once you sweat through something it seems like bees have a lot easier time getting their stingers through it. At least, that's my experience!

Tom

Posts: 341 | Location: Ohio | Registered: 21 November 2014Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Pa.Frank
posted Hide Post
I used to be a Wrangler guy... until I tried a pair of Duluth Trading Company Jeans. Man are they comfortable! and with HUGE pockets, and they are well made. Tough, like they were 40 years ago.

I doubt I'll ever go back to Wrangler or Levis'

NRA Benefactor.

Life is tough... It's even tougher when you're stupid... John Wayne

Posts: 1963 | Location: The Three Lower Counties (Delaware USA) | Registered: 13 September 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
"I grew up wearing Levis' and as far as I know, their quality has not dropped even though they are no longer made in USA."

I also grew up wearing Levi's, and they wore like iron. Lived in and loved my Levi's jacket, back in the day. Later, I tried some of the off-brand, cheaper X-mart jeans. The pockets were made of such thin material that they'd wear out in no time, with big holes and change dropping down my pants leg.

Being a male and not too handy with sewing stuff, duct tape wrapped around the front pocket inserts made a practical fix, except that it wasn't too comfortable and made my legs sweat. Kept my pocketknife in my pocket, though.

In disgust, tried some Levi's again, thinking the extra cost would equal the long-lived jeans of the 70's and 80's. Certainly, the pockets were made of heavy material, and I didn't wear holes in them any more.... Partly because they wore out prematurely from holes just appearing in them at random, in non-stress, non-wear areas (such as several inches above the ankle.) So, I then just gave up on jeans altogether.

Since hearing about the Duluth Trading Fire Hose Pants and jeans, I've resolved to give them a try. It's a shame when iconic, legendary brands like Levi's are cheapened and made with low quality just to make a quick buck.

But, that seems to be the way of things, these days.
John

Posts: 126 | Location: Right here, for now! | Registered: 03 November 2015Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I am going to try a pair of the Duluth jeans because of the favorable reviews here. Are their "made in the USA jeans" better quality than the other ones they sell? Worth the price difference?

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:

I just measured mine less then a half inch about 20 years ago I went trough it and got rid of a lot of junk and kept it that way.

If I am making a large cash purchase I have other ways of carrying that.

They need to bring back the 500.00 dollar bill.

Posts: 19390 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Kensco:
My feeling is that if you aren't wearing Wranglers, you aren't really with it. I've worn them since I started buying my own pants.

Their cargo jeans are kind of thin, they only last a couple of years and I'm buying new ones. Somebody ought to make some thicker ones.

TomP

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Like Idaho Sharpshooter, I was always a Levi guy. I came from a family of Boy Scouts. When Levi quit supporting the Scouts and went LGBT, I moved to Wrangler.

Posts: 100 | Location: Colorado Springs, CO, USA | Registered: 10 January 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
came from a family of Boy Scouts. When Levi quit supporting the Scouts and went LGBT, I moved to Wrangler.

Now that the scouts are LGBT friendly what are you doing.

Posts: 19390 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of DCS Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by p dog shooter:
quote:
came from a family of Boy Scouts. When Levi quit supporting the Scouts and went LGBT, I moved to Wrangler.

Now that the scouts are LGBT friendly what are you doing.

I'm still trying to figure out what an LGBT is now.

I meant to be DSC Member...bad typing skills.

Marcus Cady

DRSS

Posts: 3433 | Location: Dallas | Registered: 19 March 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I can still remember my outrage when I had to pay $5 for a pair of Levi's way back when. Now I buy Carhartts.

Posts: 388 | Location: NW Oregon | Registered: 13 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:

Rich,

Your comment about wallet thickness dredged up a chat I had with a chiropractor buddy quite a while ago. His educated opinion was a man should never carry a wallet in a back pant pocket. Sitting, whether car, chair, couch, or whatever, causes the lower back to be off-kilter, and with prolonged practice will most invariably lead to back injury. I had a close friend who carried a wallet more than double the thickness you admit. He complained of back pain all the 40 years I knew him. Sadly, I was not convincing.
My carry is driver's license, debit card, AAA card, and Kaiser card. Nothing more, and in front pocket. Been that way for decades. My last wallet I relegated to the trash around 1964.

Just trying to be helpful,

Stephen

Sadly, I was not convincing

Posts: 538 | Location: Pacific Northwet | Registered: 14 August 2010Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:

I wear em for work and they're expendable. No extra allowance for "style". Wink

Grizz

Indeed, no human being has yet lived under conditions which, considering the prevailing climates of the past, can be regarded as normal. John E Pfeiffer, The Emergence of Man

Those who can't skin, can hold a leg. Abraham Lincoln

Only one war at a time. Abe Again.

Posts: 4211 | Location: Alta. Canada | Registered: 06 November 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I keep my billfold in the glove box unless I'm shopping;thus I don't put my hip out of joint sitting on it. Besides we get used to the feel of the jeans we wear.