Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Toyota Land Cruiser Login/Join 
One of Us
posted
I'm not talking about the American version but the "real" African version of the Land Cruiser. Has anyone in America ever tried to import one of these into the States? I've spent a bunch of time on the internet trying to figure out a way to bring one in with no luck. Anyone out there have any suggestions????

Posts: 725 | Location: Texas | Registered: 18 March 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Charles_Helm
posted Hide Post
List of EPA-approved importers/de-smoggers. Not sure if there is a more-current list as this one is old.

EPA page.

Not sure about the DOT/NHTSA rules.

Posts: 8773 | Location: Republic of Texas | Registered: 24 April 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Placing a want ad in the classifieds on the Specter site is probably your best shot. Here's the link:

http://www.sor.com/sor/class.tam

one of us
posted Hide Post
Needs to be 25 years old to be DOT/EPA exempt.

Posts: 1473 | Location: NC | Registered: 10 June 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have had the same thoughts. But gave up on the idea perfering to save my buck and go back to Africa.

Posts: 555 | Location: the Mississippi Delta | Registered: 05 October 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
You might find this article enjoyable:

http://www.overlandjournal.com...nal_land_cruiser.pdf

If you figure out how it could be done, let me know!

Jon

Posts: 481 | Location: Denver, CO | Registered: 20 June 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of safari-lawyer
posted Hide Post
I'd like to have one too. Let me know if you figure out how to do it.

Will J. Parks, III

Posts: 2988 | Location: Alabama USA | Registered: 09 July 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Tim Herald
posted Hide Post
Mike Schoby- editor of Peterson's Hunting- just got one this spring while we were turkey hunting in FL. I don't know all the particulars, but it is the old classic style- and it is sweet...

Good Hunting,

Tim Herald
Worldwide Trophy Adventures
tim@trophyadventures.com

Posts: 2980 | Location: Lexington, KY | Registered: 13 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
I think that we'd all have one if we could, replete with the hunting rack! tu2

One of Us
Picture of silkibex
posted Hide Post
For a new one, try here:
http://www.toyota-gib.com/
You're looking for a 70's series. I think the newest is the 76

Posts: 210 | Location: Central Asia/SE Asia | Registered: 02 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
oh but in my garage there sits an original FJ25 from 1961 with 37,000 miles on it Big Grin

Posts: 13446 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of shakari
posted Hide Post
There's a complete nut and bolt (immaculate) restoration old, old style one for sale just down the road from me for (going from memory) about ZAR150K.

Personally, unless I was going to use it for hunting, I'd rather have a diesel Dodge Ram doublecab any day! Wink

One of Us
posted Hide Post
They have them on the showroom floors in Panama.
Fly to Panama, do a little fishing, buy a land rover and have it shipped home. Duty will hike the price though.

The only easy day is yesterday!

Posts: 2758 | Location: Northern Minnesota | Registered: 22 September 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ledvm
posted Hide Post
quote:
Personally, unless I was going to use it for hunting, I'd rather have a diesel Dodge Ram doublecab any day!

Steve,

That is exactly what I drive and exactly what my dad uses on the ranch. They are great trucks. I have been driving one since the early '90s and actually drove one the first ones driven off the lot in late '80s (an employers vehicle).

Mine has lockers and all the sort and is the "best 4-wheel drive" you can have in a full size truck in the states as far as getting thru mud and rough terrain. I drive through similar terrain as that in Karamoja daily and go into much rougher stuff on a regular basis.

BUT...with all that said...my truck will not even begin to go where a Cruizer will go.

But it mainly has to do with wheel base width and distance between the axles.

Also...for toughness in tough terrain...Cruizer beats any American truck. Those Cruizers can take it day-in-day-out and hold together. American trucks of the day...fix and repair after each tough use.

Now...I had a 1968 Willis Jeep pick-up...very close if not better than a Cruizer! But it was built in the USA when the USA could actually build something!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
J. Lane Easter, DVM

A born Texan has instilled in his system a mind-set of no retreat or no surrender. I wish everyone the world over had the dominating spirit that motivates Texans.– Billy Clayton, Speaker of the Texas House

No state commands such fierce pride and loyalty. Lesser mortals are pitied for their misfortune in not being born in Texas.— Queen Elizabeth II on her visit to Texas in May, 1991.

Posts: 36633 | Location: Gainesville, TX | Registered: 24 December 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of shakari
posted Hide Post
Lane,

We can now buy the Dodge Rams over here but they're about 33% more than the cost of a Cruiser. Eeker

On the subject of well built 'Yank Tanks' as you know I'm a great fan of the old Jeep Wagoneer and Grand Wagoneer and have my eye on an old Grand Wagoneer I found in Kampala.

I reckon if it were cut down to a pick up truck and fitted with a big diesel engine, it'd make a fabulous hunting truck for the Karamoja.

It'd give a better ride and have considerably more cab and load space than a Cruiser or a Rover and the drive chain on those things are pretty much unbreakable.

I also love the old Willis but they're a bit small for African hunting.

One of Us
Picture of ledvm
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by shakari:
Lane,

We can now buy the Dodge Rams over here but they're about 33% more than the cost of a Cruiser. Eeker

On the subject of well built 'Yank Tanks' as you know I'm a great fan of the old Jeep Wagoneer and Grand Wagoneer and have my eye on an old Grand Wagoneer I found in Kampala.

I reckon if it were cut down to a pick up truck and fitted with a big diesel engine, it'd make a fabulous hunting truck for the Karamoja.

It'd give a better ride and have considerably more cab and load space than a Cruiser or a Rover and the drive chain on those things are pretty much unbreakable.

I also love the old Willis but they're a bit small for African hunting.

Steve,

That Wagoneer you have IS a good piece of equipment. Back in the day...when Texas was the OIL KING...every company man in Texas drove one. They were luxury and tough all rolled into one. They were built by AMC (American Motor Co - they old Nash Motor Co.) now Jeep is built by Chrysler or maybe now Chrysler-Obama Co.

Back to the Willis. Willis actually made a vehicle very similar to a Cruizer in size and shape...they just referred to it as a Jeep Pick-up. That is what I was referring too in above post. You know AMC still made some of them in the same year model as your Wagoneer. Actually same chasis and body just with the back part made into a P/U bed.

J. Lane Easter, DVM

A born Texan has instilled in his system a mind-set of no retreat or no surrender. I wish everyone the world over had the dominating spirit that motivates Texans.– Billy Clayton, Speaker of the Texas House

No state commands such fierce pride and loyalty. Lesser mortals are pitied for their misfortune in not being born in Texas.— Queen Elizabeth II on her visit to Texas in May, 1991.

Posts: 36633 | Location: Gainesville, TX | Registered: 24 December 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of shakari
posted Hide Post
Lane,

Would that be this model?

Think what a great hunting truck it would make with all that space in the back!! tu2

Sadly, I'd have thought they're as rare as rocking horse doo doos nowadays! Confused

One of Us
Picture of ledvm
posted Hide Post
Yep...that would be one of the AMC models! They are good trucks. I had a 1968 Willis version of exactly the same size vehicle the only difference was that it had a stp-side bed.

J. Lane Easter, DVM

One of Us
Picture of ledvm
posted Hide Post
The only thing I did NOT like about the truck in your picture is that they were full-time 4-wheel drive.

J. Lane Easter, DVM

one of us
Picture of shakari
posted Hide Post
A step side would be about the only thing that'd make it better than it already is huh!

I reckon if you beefed up or even just reset the springs and fitted a good hunting seat such as the rear seat from a Range Rover, you'd get an even better ride up on top than you'd get from a Land Rover.

one of us
Picture of shakari
posted Hide Post
I quite like permanent all wheel drive but admittedly it's harder on tyres and fuel..... but having said that, the Grand Wagoneer had selectable FWD and I could live with that without any problems.

I might be wrong but the one in the pic looks like it might have been fitted with free wheeling hubs on the front.

One of Us
Picture of ledvm
posted Hide Post
quote:
A step side would be about the only thing that'd make it better than it already is huh!

They actually made some step-sides in that exact model you pictured above...albeit very few.

J. Lane Easter, DVM

One of Us
posted Hide Post
My dream vehicle.. A fully restored '77 FJ40.

Those Cruiser trucks found in Africa are tough as nails and I wouldn't mind having one, but I hear they get crappy mileage and are really heavy. They seem to be indestructable.

Is the reason for not having them in the States the same reasons as the restrictions on the Land Rover Defenders because of the safety codes?

Posts: 2163 | Registered: 13 February 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Blacktailer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Scottyboy:
My dream vehicle.. A fully restored '77 FJ40.

Those Cruiser trucks found in Africa are tough as nails and I wouldn't mind having one, but I hear they get crappy mileage and are really heavy. They seem to be indestructable.

Is the reason for not having them in the States the same reasons as the restrictions on the Land Rover Defenders because of the safety codes?

A friend of mine has one of these that he has "gone through". It has every upgrade known to man including a Corvette motor, Recarro seats, stereo, hot and cold water, air compressor,etc. He has about $145K into it and it is for sale. PM me if you have any interest.

Have gun- Will travel
The value of a trophy is computed directly in terms of personal investment in its acquisition. Robert Ruark

Posts: 3828 | Location: Cave Creek, AZ | Registered: 09 August 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I looked into bringing a Toyota Blizzard into the country when I was stationed overseas. Which is a close relative of the Land Cruiser. It was just too hard. You'd have to replace just about everything to make it street legal. Right down to the windshield.

Posts: 8938 | Location: Dallas TX | Registered: 11 October 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of DCS Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by butchloc:
oh but in my garage there sits an original FJ25 from 1961 with 37,000 miles on it Big Grin

The father of land cruisers! Do you ever check out www.ih8mud.com? I have had a 79 FJ40 for about 4 years now, after a 3 year search for a decent rig without a ridiculous price.

Proffitt's Cruisers in CO has been building a 79 series pickup on an FJ60 frame. They imported a 2010 body from the Middle East and have been doing a great job on the conversion. It can be titled as a custom vehicle and the 25 year import ban does not apply (U.S. titled frame/chasis)

I meant to be DSC Member...bad typing skills.

Marcus Cady

DRSS

Posts: 3433 | Location: Dallas | Registered: 19 March 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I amy be off the mark here but,
I believe you can import these vehicles by just importing them as a salvage or parts vehicle. After it arrives here in the states you can then apply for a custom/salvage title.

take a look at Angola for these vehicles. You could import one from there and it would have left side steering wheel like here in the states- just thought , though I might be wrong on this issue--I have wanted to do the same! Big Grin

right now I am trying to buy 1979 Cherokee-but would like to put a manual transfer case in it --if I get it! new jeeps are not the same Eeker

nothin sweeter than the smell of fresh blood on your hunting boots

Posts: 746 | Location: don't know--Lost my GPS | Registered: 10 August 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Sorry , it's not that easy. You will never get it released from customs and you can't register it.

Posts: 1473 | Location: NC | Registered: 10 June 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Friend of mine just picked one up in Guatamala, new diesel 2009 Landcruiser pick-up just drive it across the border. He has to get the tags renewed every two years thus it's registered in Guatamala. He spent 33,000 on a new truck. Forget trying to get it DOT approved it will not happen used to be you could say you were a collector and it had to stay in your name and you could not sale the vehicle, that loop hole is now days gone.

"An individual with experience is never at the mercies of an individual with an argument"

Posts: 1827 | Location: Palmer AK & Prescott Valley AZ | Registered: 01 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Mike_Dettorre
posted Hide Post
For the cost and hassle of importing and since the body is the same...just take a cutting torch to the cab version

Mike

What I have learned on AR, since 2001:
1. The proper answer to: Where is the best place in town to get a steak dinner? is…You should go to Mel's Diner and get the fried chicken.
2. Big game animals can tell the difference between .015 of an inch in diameter, 15 grains of bullet weight, and 150 fps.
3. There is a difference in the performance of two identical projectiles launched at the same velocity if they came from different cartridges.
4. While a double rifle is the perfect DGR, every 375HH bolt gun needs to be modified to carry at least 5 down.
5. While a floor plate and detachable box magazine both use a mechanical latch, only the floor plate latch is reliable. Disregard the fact that every modern military rifle uses a detachable box magazine.
6. The Remington 700 is unreliable regardless of the fact it is the basis of the USMC M40 sniper rifle for 40+ years with no changes to the receiver or extractor and is the choice of more military and law enforcement sniper units than any other rifle.
7. PF actions are not suitable for a DGR and it is irrelevant that the M1, M14, M16, & AK47 which were designed for hunting men that can shoot back are all PF actions.
8. 95 deg F in Africa is different than 95 deg F in TX or CA and that is why you must worry about ammunition temperature in Africa (even though most safaris take place in winter) but not in TX or in CA.
9. The size of a ding in a gun's finish doesn't matter, what matters is whether it’s a safe ding or not.
10. 1 in a row is a trend, 2 in a row is statistically significant, and 3 in a row is an irrefutable fact.
11. Never buy a WSM or RCM cartridge for a safari rifle or your go to rifle in the USA because if they lose your ammo you can't find replacement ammo but don't worry 280 Rem, 338-06, 35 Whelen, and all Weatherby cartridges abound in Africa and back country stores.
12. A well hit animal can run 75 yds. in the open and suddenly drop with no initial blood trail, but the one I shot from 200 yds. away that ran 10 yds. and disappeared into a thicket and was not found was lost because the bullet penciled thru. I am 100% certain of this even though I have no physical evidence.
13. A 300 Win Mag is a 500 yard elk cartridge but a 308 Win is not a 300 yard elk cartridge even though the same bullet is travelling at the same velocity at those respective distances.

Posts: 10059 | Location: Loving retirement in Boise, ID | Registered: 16 December 2003Reply With Quote