THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM MISCELLANEOUS FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Other Topics  Hop To Forums  Miscellaneous Topics    I can't figure free shipping as a business tactic......

Moderators: Canuck
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

I can't figure free shipping as a business tactic...... Login/Join 
one of us
posted
.....the other day, Dick's Sporting Goods sent me an email with a one day special on Yozuri fishing baits at a really good price of $4/each. Usually they are at least $8, plus free shipping on over $99 worth. So I order about 30 the first round and then, they were selling so fast I went back in and ordered 20 or so more. All is well, but so far, I've received 6 UPS packages, 4 of them containing one or two lures. I just don't understand how they can do this kind of thing and stay in business. They were certainly losing money on the lures to start with, and so far they have paid to ship 3 envelopes and 3 boxes. Beats me, but the lures are really fine.

xxxxxxxxxx
When considering US based operations of guides/outfitters, check and see if they are NRA members. If not, why support someone who doesn't support us? Consider spending your money elsewhere.

NEVER, EVER book a hunt with BLAIR WORLDWIDE HUNTING or JEFF BLAIR.

I have come to understand that in hunting, the goal is not the goal but the process.

Posts: 17099 | Location: Texas USA | Registered: 07 May 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I can't ever figure anything out about how big box stores operate. Glad you found a good deal.

Posts: 2173 | Location: NORTHWEST NEW MEXICO, USA | Registered: 05 March 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Amazing, received THREE more lures today, all from UPS, in THREE separate envelopes, 2 from the same seller shipped by UPS. Apparently Dick's ads are representing some of their suppliers and, in effect, are drop shipped, but damn, 3 envelopes for 3 regular sized $4 fishing lures. UPS can't be shipping them for free. Brings total to 9 shipments so far for a less than $225 order.

BTW, the Live Target Shrimp lures are really good looking, life like. Now if only the fish think so.
But they've already caught the main thing, the buyer, me. Wink

xxxxxxxxxx
When considering US based operations of guides/outfitters, check and see if they are NRA members. If not, why support someone who doesn't support us? Consider spending your money elsewhere.

I have come to understand that in hunting, the goal is not the goal but the process.

One of Us
Picture of NormanConquest
posted Hide Post
Reminds me of the story of the 2 guys that go in business in the sporting goods trade. They decided that they would make a killing if they sold everything for a dollar less than it cost them.Well it took them a year to go broke. So the one guy says to the other,"I know what we did wrong,we just did'nt advertise enough."

Never mistake motion for action.

Posts: 17357 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 11 March 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Slowpoke Slim
posted Hide Post
The markup on non-firearm sporting goods is insane. They're doing fine.

Si tantum EGO eram dimidium ut bonus ut EGO memor

Posts: 1146 | Location: Bismarck, ND | Registered: 31 August 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
The markup on non-firearm sporting goods is insane. They're doing fine.

I guess someone should have told Gander Mountain that before they filed bankruptcy.

Add one more box with one small lure in it that came today. 4 boxes, 6 envelopes so far.

xxxxxxxxxx

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Gato

Have to differentiate among the amateurs - dicks etc and the professionals Amazon

Amazon built a massive network based on free shipping

Then started prime that offers free shipping as a service

I rarely shop on Amazon as prices suck now a days. But I pay prime for streaming tv and music

Amazon will control its distribution or a large majority of it

The shipping is the better or same same as overheAd or running a large big box format retail store

Also shipped products have Much lower return - a lot of suppliers like shipping direct as Costco does.

Mike

Posts: 13145 | Location: Cocoa Beach, Florida | Registered: 22 July 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Berretta, Amazon has been killing be with the slow shipping. It takes them a week to generate a tracking number. Something that Grainger and Macmaster can do in less than 24 hours.

Posts: 1286 | Location: N.J | Registered: 16 October 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by J_Zola:
Berretta, Amazon has been killing be with the slow shipping. It takes them a week to generate a tracking number. Something that Grainger and Macmaster can do in less than 24 hours.

Cause Amazon has moved into cash flow generation mode

It's has created its massive network of consumers

It's has a+ data and consumer algos

It has the second best search engine after google with the single best type of search - consumer buying choice/decision

It is now developing its own delivery platform

It has a market for other sellers to use its platform

Alibaba has all of this plus a payment mechanism in China

When Amazon is slow - its is intentional

Mike

Posts: 13145 | Location: Cocoa Beach, Florida | Registered: 22 July 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Sounds like someone in shipping at Dick's was trained by the VA. They'll send prescriptions in two or 3 boxes when one would have held it all.

Posts: 3807 | Location: san angelo tx | Registered: 18 November 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
A order placed on 3/29 will be delivered on 4/10. They only put it the box on 4/7. The only reason I can see is to get me to join prime.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by J_Zola:
A order placed on 3/29 will be delivered on 4/10. They only put it the box on 4/7. The only reason I can see is to get me to join prime.

Could be

Is the item sold by Amazon or a third party

Is the item a specialized item

Amazon is awesome - Berkeley fishing cart was $150 at bass pro and $100 at Amazon

Mike

One of Us
posted Hide Post
All by amazon. Summit racing order from the same day and dropped shipped from two loactions beat them by 4 days.