Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

American colonial barbecues....... Login/Join 
one of us
posted
I posted this in the ARPF but I thought it might belong here as well given the barbecue thread.......

.......while beginning to read the book "Barbeque, the history of an American Institution" by Robert F. Moss, I found this interesting blurb.....(bold emphasis mine)

quote:
The practice of "treating"--plying voters with liquor and food--was widespread and, though practiced discreetly, became an indispensable component of an election campaign. These election treats always included large quantities of rum punch and other liquors, and often sweets such as cookies and ginger cakes. Some candidates took the practice a step further, hosting outdoor picnics for the public and providing barbecued bullocks and pigs--the first instance of American campaign barbecues.

Treating was expensive, but because Virginian officeholders were drawn almost exclusively from the upper class, the candidates generally paid for the gifts out of their own pockets. In the 1758 election for the House of Burgesses, for example, George Washington spent 35 pounds, 6 shillings to purchase "28 gallons of rum, 50 gallons and one hogshead of rum punch, 34 gallons of wine, 46 gallons of 'strong beer,' and 2 gallons of cider royal," a generous ration for a district that contained only 391 voters.

xxxxxxxxxx
When considering US based operations of guides/outfitters, check and see if they are NRA members. If not, why support someone who doesn't support us? Consider spending your money elsewhere.

NEVER, EVER book a hunt with BLAIR WORLDWIDE HUNTING or JEFF BLAIR.

I have come to understand that in hunting, the goal is not the goal but the process.

Posts: 17099 | Location: Texas USA | Registered: 07 May 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I found a similar passage in Ebony recently:

"In the 2008 election campaign, Obama spent a whole lotta dead presidents on 8000 pints of MD 20/20, 57,000 quarts of Boone's Farm Strawberry Hill, 46,000 kegs of Old English, 9,500 "40s" of Colt 45, and a metric ton of Swisher Sweets.......during the second leg of the campaign it was 53,000 cases of Modelo Especial, 2000 tankers full of Cholula, and a barge of pork-fried rice......"

Similar expenditures are expected for the 2012 campaign except it will be paid for by tax payers that consume none of the above.

It was an interesting article.

Sorry, Gato......couldn't resist. Wink

Posts: 2717 | Location: NH | Registered: 03 February 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
No problem, it was almost funny....... Wink

xxxxxxxxxx
When considering US based operations of guides/outfitters, check and see if they are NRA members. If not, why support someone who doesn't support us? Consider spending your money elsewhere.

NEVER, EVER book a hunt with BLAIR WORLDWIDE HUNTING or JEFF BLAIR.

I have come to understand that in hunting, the goal is not the goal but the process.

Posts: 17099 | Location: Texas USA | Registered: 07 May 2001Reply With Quote