THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM TAXIDERMY FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  Taxidermy    Coyote - full body mount - need your opinions

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Coyote - full body mount - need your opinions
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of erict
posted
I just took this coyote to the taxidermist today (I shot it this morning here in NY state):
https://forums.accuratereloading.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/5411043/m/882109234

Anyways, I'm going with a full body mount and want it on the floor (as opposed to a wall mount). I was told by the taxidermist that the poses I have the options of are a bit limited because of the size (4 3/4" face, 40" tip of nose to base of tail). I guess many of the forms were/are designed for the smaller western coyote. There are plenty of good choices that fit my pelt. I am leaning towards a simple trotting pose with closed mouth, but open to ideas/suggestions on what would do this animal the most justice (snarling is out, and laying down covers too much up I think). I would also like ideas/suggestions on the pedestal/base, right now I am considering a very simple snow with a few weeds sticking up.

Thanks in advance for any tips or advice.

"Listen more than you speak, and you will hear more stupid things than you say."

Posts: 705 | Location: near Albany, NY | Registered: 06 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Widowmaker416
posted Hide Post
quote:
). I was told by the taxidermist that the poses I have the options of are a bit limited

erict,

I try to keep my mouth shut on this, but I can't! that's bullshit! A form can be altered or better yet, make your own! Wrap a body! it's amazing what kind of action you can have with a hand wrapped body! No reason in the world that "your limited!"

A good way to mount it is the last pose he was in before you hammered him. Good way to remember the hunt.

Good idea too is do a search on Google Image, you may get some ideas that way, your taxidermist "should" be able to reproduce the pic!

Good luck!

"America's Meat - - - SPAM"

As always, Good Hunting!!!

Widowmaker416

Posts: 1782 | Location: New Jersey USA | Registered: 12 July 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ELKMAN2
posted Hide Post
I have never seen a coyote colored like that. Are they common in that country??? My first thought was a coy-dog cross with golden retreiver...It is beautiful.Are there other color variations?? Ours are just coyotes>

Posts: 1072 | Location: Pine Haven, Wyo | Registered: 14 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Widowmaker416
posted Hide Post
ELKMAN2

Yes that is a excellent coyote! Eastern coyotes are a many different colors, I got one a few years ago that was black, they are red like erict's, cream color, brown, all different shades! common!

Sorry erict, forgot to congratulate you on the outstanding coyote!

Congats erict!! beer

"America's Meat - - - SPAM"

As always, Good Hunting!!!

Widowmaker416

Posts: 1782 | Location: New Jersey USA | Registered: 12 July 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of jds
posted Hide Post
I agree with Widowmaker. I owned a full time shop for several years and will say that if your taxidermist will not or cannot alter or create forms for a mount then you need to find another taxidermist!

However, it's not unreasonable for custom poses to cost more because there is more work and time involved than using a "standard" form.

Good luck.

JDS

And so if you meet a hunter who has been to Africa, and he tells you what he has seen and done, watch his eyes as he talks. For they will not see you. They will see sunrises and sunsets such as you cannot imagine, and a land and a way of life that is fast vanishing. And always he will will tell you how he plans to go back. (author: David Petzer)

Posts: 655 | Location: Burleson, Texas | Registered: 04 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Grafton
posted Hide Post
erict, I applaud you for wanting to have your coyote re-created accurately. There are more and more hunters who are starting to notice and care about the details (and that is a good thing). That photo with the whiskers is a great one to give to your taxidermist. A form can be altered for minor variations in size in just a few minutes. I consider this to be part of the job and do not charge extra to make a form fit a hide. However, as said above if a very unique pose is desired where you have to do a lot of altering or make a body, then extra labor charges would normally be expected.

If the coyote is to be mounted walking, you may want to have the head turned a little bit to the side. This way if you put the mount against a wall, you will be able to see the details of the face. Althogh if your taxidermist can not alter the form, you may not want to see the details of the face Big Grin

Good luck and congrats on a great coyote.

SAFARI ARTS TAXIDERMY
http://www.safariarts.net/

Posts: 1378 | Location: Virginia, USA | Registered: 05 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Exit31
posted Hide Post

This is an example of a shelf mounted yote.Side view. Note that the base is earth tone.He is looking down. He will eventually mounted on a high shelf.

Why shall there not be patient confidence in the ultimate justice of the people? Is there any better or equal hope in the world? Abraham Lincoln

Posts: 599 | Location: Canada, NS | Registered: 19 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Exit31
posted Hide Post

Why shall there not be patient confidence in the ultimate justice of the people? Is there any better or equal hope in the world? Abraham Lincoln

Posts: 599 | Location: Canada, NS | Registered: 19 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Exit31
posted Hide Post

This is a yearling yote. The bou is yealing also. Hope this will give you some perspective on a standing mount and the changes that could be done to it. Nice yote, nice trophy. Of course that yote should be skinned ASP...same day sort of thing...