New
Find
Notify
Tools

Unique Rattlesnake
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
My daughter just finished this. Dermistid beetles and hous of tedious reconstruction.

Posts: 498 | Location: San Antonio , Texas USA | Registered: 01 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Walker--very artistic looking. Was the reconstruction of damage done when the snake was killed? If so,next time you might try placing the snake in a freezer while it's alive and that will kill it without damage.

Posts: 1289 | Location: San Angelo,Tx | Registered: 22 August 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
No, it was frozen alive. Denise cuts out as much meat as she can, shapes the snke and puts it in a dehydrater. It keeps its shape after that and into the beetles it goes. The spine stays intact but a lot of the ribs fall out and she puts them back in place. She does the head separate and then attaches it and the bottom jaw bones.

Posts: 498 | Location: San Antonio , Texas USA | Registered: 01 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Widowmaker416
posted Hide Post
Excellent job!! I like that idea!!

"America's Meat - - - SPAM"

As always, Good Hunting!!!

Widowmaker416

Posts: 1782 | Location: New Jersey USA | Registered: 12 July 2004Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
you seriously freeze the snake alive? man for some reason i don't think my wife would let me put a live rattler in the frezzer

but that is cool as hell

one of us
Picture of jds
posted Hide Post
Having owned a taxidermy shop for several years, freezing is the best way to dispatch a snake without damaging it.

The caveat, though, is to make sure it's THOROUGHLY frozen before taking it back out!

I had another taxidermist friend who put a big rattler in the freezer and returned at some time later and took it out and layed it on the counter to thaw. When she picked it up to move it after awhile, the tongue flickered out but the snake couldn't move. After that she would not take a snake out until it had been frozen at least a week!

JDS

And so if you meet a hunter who has been to Africa, and he tells you what he has seen and done, watch his eyes as he talks. For they will not see you. They will see sunrises and sunsets such as you cannot imagine, and a land and a way of life that is fast vanishing. And always he will will tell you how he plans to go back. (author: David Petzer)

Posts: 655 | Location: Burleson, Texas | Registered: 04 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Widowmaker416
posted Hide Post
I'm a taxidrmist, have been for many years, (too many to remember!)

I freeze some critters to kill them, it works well and it's a calm way to kill them. They just go to sleep!

"America's Meat - - - SPAM"

As always, Good Hunting!!!

Widowmaker416

Posts: 1782 | Location: New Jersey USA | Registered: 12 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Old Elk Hunter
posted Hide Post
That is an amazing way to display a rattler. Good work. I didn't fully realize just how many bones were in a rattler. A rattler with arthritis would be really cranky.

RELOAD - ITS FUN!

one of us
Picture of TXPO
posted Hide Post
Thats absolutely incredible! Very nice work.

Wes Webber

An Armed Society Is a Polite Society

Posts: 700 | Location: Wallis, Texas | Registered: 14 October 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
VERY COOL HOW MANY YEARS DID IT TAKE TO REASSEMBLE HIM LIKE THAT?????????

one of us
posted Hide Post
That does make for a very nice piece.
congrats to her as I'm sure that is very tedious work.
Stevo

Posts: 81 | Location: nebr. usa | Registered: 03 January 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of baboon
posted Hide Post
Wow thats is really impressive!

Cry 'Havoc,' and let slip the dogs of war;
That this foul deed shall smell above the earth
With carrion men, groaning for burial.

Posts: 1107 | Location: Houston Texas | Registered: 06 March 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Now that is simply AWESOME!

Posts: 134 | Location: North Dakota | Registered: 23 November 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Great looking snake! I've never seen one done like that before.

"Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life." Terry Pratchett.

Posts: 3507 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: 25 February 2005Reply With Quote