THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM TAXIDERMY FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  Taxidermy    Tusk replicas and other ele questions

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Tusk replicas and other ele questions
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Heading for Zim March 29 to hunt bull ele. Assuming I am successful, a few questions for the more experienced elephant hunters:
1. For having replica tusks made, what dimensions do you take and who have you used to have them made?
2. What parts of the ele (other than hide) have you used and for what purpose? I have seen feet used for umbrella stands and coffee table bases, and ears used for art work, but what else? Thanks for any and all advice.

"Never, ever, book a hunt with Jeri Booth or Detail Company Adventures"

Posts: 486 | Location: San Antonio, Texas | Registered: 09 November 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of sjb
posted Hide Post
Mate had Replica Tusks done by Taxidermy Africa,Humansdorp South Africa in 2011 and they are truly a piece of artwork!! Visually very hard to tell they are not true Ivory.
Takes lots of quality photos of the tusks when they are removed. we took measurements of the girth every 6 inches or so along the tusks,plus the length inside and outside of the curves.
My Ivory had a groove worn where the Bull had been bashing papyrus etc over many years and the replica are exactly the same, even down to the colouring of the tusks.
As you can probably tell very pleased with the result.
Scott

Posts: 218 | Location: NSW , Australia | Registered: 11 April 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of sjb
posted Hide Post

Posts: 218 | Location: NSW , Australia | Registered: 11 April 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
What happens to the originals??

Posts: 1615 | Location: Vermont | Registered: 27 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jdollar
posted Hide Post
done by Artistry of Wildlife, who posts here. excellent work and they mimic the originals exactly

mine was a non-exportable bull- Namibian MET kept everything but the meat.no part of a Zim bull will be exportable to the US, so it doesn't matter what you could make from skin, feet, ears, etc....this assumes, of course, that you are a US resident.

Vote Trump- Putin’s best friend…

Posts: 13241 | Location: Georgia | Registered: 28 October 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of zambeziman
posted Hide Post
this only matters if the ban gets lifted, so lets hope so,,, one of the best things you can do would be to have the trunk tanned in Zim, then ship that to Murraycustomleather he is in Texas,,, and get yourself a rifle case made from your Elephants Trunk..

Good Luck!

John

Posts: 77 | Location: Michigan | Registered: 26 May 2009Reply With Quote