Find
Notify
Tools

Elephant leather tannery?
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Kyler Hamann
posted
I’m looking for somewhere to tan my elephant hid to use as leather for scabbards, etc. I know, I know I should have had it done in Africa and I tried but somehow it got shipped without being tanned. My taxidermist suggested New Method in SF and they told me they don’t do leather, just tanning for mounting. They suggested Fox Valley in Salt Lake but they told me they don’t do exotics.

Any suggestions?

West Coast preferred but reputation/quality and price supersede location.

Thanks,
Kyler

I'm so old that I still have some skills even without an internet connection or electricity.

Posts: 2506 | Location: Central Coast of CA | Registered: 10 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Most every tannery will exclude rhino or elephant. You might check with Golden State in Turlock, Calif. or Moyle tannery in Heyburn, Idaho. They could answer or refer you to another outfit.

Posts: 1517 | Location: Idaho Falls, Idaho | Registered: 03 June 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of D99
posted Hide Post
Call the boot makers Russel Moccasin and such, maybe they would know. I asked them for a number on where to get some hippo hide. I don't have it here, but I would ask Russell.

Posts: 4729 | Location: Australia | Registered: 06 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I dont understand why New Method said they only do tanning for mounting. Basically what thier going to do is shave the hide thin so it is workable, Tan of course, when complete it will be soft and pliable "leather" , Is that all your looking for?

Premium taxidermy services
http://wildlifedesign.tripod.com/

Posts: 39 | Location: Sacramento Ca. | Registered: 23 July 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of tonto
posted Hide Post
Steve Miller doesnt work there anymore. Not sure where he is at now. Trying to find him myself. Jeff is the man at Real Life Designs .
Dean

Posts: 1057 | Location: adirondacks,NY ,USA | Registered: 30 December 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Kyler Hamann
posted Hide Post
I ended up having some of it done at Specialty Leather Processors. There are a couple holes here and there but that probably comes with the territory. Overall it seems like they did a good job. The color is good and the thickness is uniform. I haven't had anything made out of it yet, but they stuck to the timeline and price they promised.

Specialty Leather Processors

Kyler

I'm so old that I still have some skills even without an internet connection or electricity.

Posts: 2506 | Location: Central Coast of CA | Registered: 10 January 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I would have called Bruce Rittel who supplies the entire tanning industry with chemical and supplies for tanning. If anybody is going to know its going to be him.

http://rittelsupplies.net/index.html