Find
Notify
Tools

Kudu mount
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of sculptor
posted
Finished this mount last week. Lots of hidden hours in a lifesize Kudu mounting.

Posts: 727 | Location: Cody Wyoming | Registered: 17 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Aspen Hill Adventures
posted Hide Post
shocker Wow!!!

~Ann

Posts: 19218 | Location: The LOST Nation | Registered: 27 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of LittleJoe
posted Hide Post
When you say lots of hidden hours what exactly does that mean? Just curious as my boss is having a life size Kudu done as well and I am not a taxi as I have no artistic ability but always curious about what is done and why.

Posts: 1355 | Registered: 04 November 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of sculptor
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by LittleJoe:
When you say lots of hidden hours what exactly does that mean? Just curious as my boss is having a life size Kudu done as well and I am not a taxi as I have no artistic ability but always curious about what is done and why.
For one the tiny hidden stitching required because there is no hair to hide them. The skin must first fit perfect on short haired game because the hair will not hide unwanted wrikles, and so the mannikin always needs some alteration work; sometimes lots. African skins are thin and dry fast so preventing drumming, that is the skin pulling away in the drepressions while the mount is drying is very time consumming. On African game like kudu the entire skin of the mount must be airbrush painted to hide the scars and hair slips; that alone can take over day depending and first the mount has to be prepared for the painting. A nice base on a large mount can easily consume two days of thoughtful work and habitat. It is a labor of love but some foul language along the way does occur. Smiler

Posts: 727 | Location: Cody Wyoming | Registered: 17 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of LittleJoe
posted Hide Post
Sculptor, thanks for the info. I have to agree on the stitchig and stuff. Takes something very special to make it not seen and invisible. I understand regarding the airbrushing as well. My bushbuck was an old warrior that had little hair and was all barked up. He looks amazing now touched up.

Posts: 1355 | Registered: 04 November 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Great work James, that would be a fun project and yes I'm sure I'd be swearing like a sailor as well! Big Grin

Posts: 206 | Location: nicholasville, KY | Registered: 31 March 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Jerry Huffaker
posted Hide Post
Great work James, and a very good habitat, not over done.

Jerry Huffaker
State, National and World Champion Taxidermist

Posts: 2009 | Registered: 27 February 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of graybird
posted Hide Post
Excellent job! I can't even imagine the amount of time it takes to complete a project that size!

Graybird

"Make no mistake, it's not revenge he's after ... it's the reckoning."

Posts: 3722 | Location: Okie in Falcon, CO | Registered: 01 July 2004Reply With Quote