Notify
Tools

Help with mount repair
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Colin Castelli
posted
Folks,

First, I live in Korea so going to the local taxidermy isn't an option.

The bushbuck mount in my friends restaurant suffered a mishap and one of the horns became detached. The horn is whole and it simply broke off below the hide with the base still attached.

I managed to reattached it using wood glue and pins and it doesn't look bad once it is on the wall. However, some of the epoxy/putty/filler between the bottom of the horn and the hide is missing and if possible, I'd like to fix that. What can I use to fill this easily and is readily available? Modeling clay, wood putty, etc.?

I know that whatever I use, it will have to be painted to match or dyed before use.

Thanks for any suggestions.

Posts: 180 | Location: South Africa | Registered: 16 March 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Is that the bushbuck mount in Braai Republic in Itaewon? Wife and I liked the boerwors there.

Posts: 62 | Location: USA / Temporarily South Korea | Registered: 18 April 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yes, that is the mount I had to repair...Glad you enjoyed the food.

One of Us
Picture of BNagel
posted Hide Post
Think Jerry meant this for you, Colin.

The best product would be an epoxy puddy. You can smooth and texture it then paint. Don't know if it can be obtained where you are but you could find it online. Aves Studio is where we get ours here in the states.

Jerry Huffaker
State and National Champion Taxidermist
Huffaker Taxidermy Studio
huftax@sbcglobal.net
http://huffakertaxidermy.com/

Posts: 4884 | Location: Bryan, Texas | Registered: 12 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
What I ended up doing was cleaning out the horn base, using carpenters glue (it is what I had on hand), finish nails to pin it permanently in place (after drilling guide holes), and then filled the holes with crayon wax.

So far it is holding up nicely and no one has noticed the repair.....