THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM TAXIDERMY FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  Taxidermy    Bear Rug - Mouth Open or Not?

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Bear Rug - Mouth Open or Not?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I am having this spring's black bear rugged and am undecided on whether to go mouth open or not. While the mouth open certainly gives "the look" it also seems odd to me on a black bear given their general demeaner. Views?

Posts: 1577 | Location: Either far north Idaho or Hill Country Texas depending upon the weather | Registered: 26 March 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I think on you first black bear rug, especially if it is a fairly big one, go open mouth.

If it is not a big one, go closed mouth, saving the open mouth rug for a bigger one.

I say that sitting here looking at 3 of my black bear rugs [I have 4 of them].

My first and biggest[squared 7 ft 2"] is open mouth, the others are closed mouth.

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Sevenxbjt
posted Hide Post
Open.

One of Us
Picture of jdollar
posted Hide Post
my 2 rugs both have mouth open but only about 1 1/2 inch- no wide gaping jaws.

Vote Trump- Putin’s best friend…

Posts: 13429 | Location: Georgia | Registered: 28 October 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of kingsalmonak
posted Hide Post
I personally like the closed mouth on a black bear. One of my favorite mounts is a closed mouth black bear. Just seems more realistic and a better representation of the animal. With this said, I have seen some closed mouth forms that do not do the animal justice. My two cents...

one of us
posted Hide Post
i have come to like the close mounts best. if I ever have another one done it well be closed

Posts: 19604 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of LittleJoe
posted Hide Post
I have an open mouth rug and a closed mouth lifesize. I don't think you can go wrong on the rug but I would not do open mouth on a black bear lifesize.

Posts: 1355 | Registered: 04 November 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Mary Hilliard-Krueger
posted Hide Post
As a taxidermy rugmaker I must confess I do prefer the closed mouth bear rug although 90% of the bear rugs I do are open mouth. I feel a closed mouth is a more realistic appearance of the animal as one would see it in the wild.
For reasons of practicality, I feel a higher percentage of bear rugs displayed on the floor are mounted open mouth as the ears are laid back (the anatomically correct position for an open mouth bear). Laid back ears are less apt to get kicked, tripped over or invite the pooch over for a nibble.
Closed mouth bear rugs ears should be erect, as that is the anatomically correct position.
Like Jerry stated, a slightly open mouth rug mount is very attractive. They also give that natural breathing appearance as seen in the wild live animal. We do a few of our lifesized bear mounts, shoulder and 1/2 lifesizes with a slightly open mouth.

Either way, whatever makes you feel comfortable looking at your trophy daily. Smiler

reference:

Kind regards,
Mary

Taxidermist/Rugmaker

Posts: 904 | Location: Phoenix, Arizona | Registered: 12 April 2007Reply With Quote