SKULL PRESERVATION?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I have a small skull that has already been boiled and dried that I
would like to preserve for display. I plan to have it sitting on my
library shelf so it will be periodically handled. Is there a coating
that I should apply to keep it from drying and discoloring? I hope to
keep the teeth from loosening if possible. Any suggestions?

Posts: 345 | Location: NY | Registered: 01 July 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of TXPO
posted Hide Post
If it is not completely white then place it in a plastic bag (Ziplock) with regular ole' peroxide you get at the grocery store. Leave it in there for not more than a day or two. This will 'whiten' it up a bit. I then spray an anti-bacterial clear laquer over it, let it dry, put a dab of superglue on the teeth (on the inside of the jaw where the teeth fit into the sockets), let that dry and you're done. I've done quite a few for myself over the years. You can see some of my skulls in this thread http://www.serveroptions.com/ubb/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=47;t=000109

Good Luck

[ 05-17-2003, 00:13: Message edited by: TXPO ]

Posts: 700 | Location: Wallis, Texas | Registered: 14 October 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I read in the skull cleaning thread that Kyrlon Clear Acrylic Sealer
might be suitable to my task. Can anyone recommend a source? Is this
the same type of acrylic spray used by artists to preserve pencil
drawings?

Where can I find "anti bacterial laquer"?

Posts: 345 | Location: NY | Registered: 01 July 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
In my opinion I would avoid the lacquer and use mod podge which is like elmers glue. It will seal the bone and give it a real nice look. Mod Podge is availible at craft stores. Best Bryan

Posts: 39 | Location: Sacramento Ca. | Registered: 23 July 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of TXPO
posted Hide Post
Wildlifedesigner.....I've never heard of 'Mod Podge"...What's it's advantage? I may have to give it a try sometime.

Posts: 700 | Location: Wallis, Texas | Registered: 14 October 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I would say the advantages of mod podge over laqeur is Mod podge will actually seep into the pores of the bone and seal it, not just put a hard layer over the top. Besides that I like the finish it will leave.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
If it's a small skull, how about embedding it in a block of Lucite. Just make sure you get the real Lucite (polymethyl methacrylate resin) and not the polyester stuff they sell in hobby stores. The polyester will yellow and tends to have permanent "heat waves" in it.

H. C.

Posts: 3691 | Location: West Virginia | Registered: 23 May 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of eric 98
posted Hide Post
Wildlifedesign...I bought a bottle of MOD PODGE to finish a deer skull. It looks and smells just like Elmer's glue.It also says to cover it with acrylic to eliminate tackiness. Just how do you do this stuff? The skull is bleached and dry.

Posts: 287 | Location: Florida USA | Registered: 23 February 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I usually add a little water and paint it on with a brush, then set aside and let dry.

one of us
Picture of eric 98
posted Hide Post
does it dry tacky?

Posts: 287 | Location: Florida USA | Registered: 23 February 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
when copmpletely drie it does not dry tacky. It will dry alot like elmers.