New
Find
Notify
Tools

Musk ox
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Is a musk ox taken in mid August suitable for a full mount. The pictures I have seen appear that the old winter coat is replaced by a "full" new fall coat. The mount is important for a museum.

Regards,
Jim

Posts: 383 | Location: Whitehorse, Yukon, Canada | Registered: 25 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of buffybr
posted Hide Post
I don't know about mid August, but I shot my Musk ox in mid September at a camp about an hour's twin otter flight east of Inuvik, NWT.

He had some hanging fur (which came off) on his shoulders, but he still has a beautiful long coat.

NRA Endowment Life Member

Posts: 1635 | Location: Boz Angeles, MT | Registered: 14 February 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the information, Buffybr, and beautiful bull and mount. Who did you hunt with and how many years ago.
Jim

Posts: 383 | Location: Whitehorse, Yukon, Canada | Registered: 25 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of billinthewild
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by buffybr:
I don't know about mid August, but I shot my Musk ox in mid September at a camp about an hour's twin otter flight east of Inuvik, NWT.

He had some hanging fur (which came off) on his shoulders, but he still has a beautiful long coat.

Beautiful...

"When you play, play hard; when you work, don't play at all."
Theodore Roosevelt

Posts: 4263 | Location: Pinetop, Arizona | Registered: 02 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of buffybr
posted Hide Post
jhaney and bill, Thanks for your comments. He is definately the center attraction of my trophy room.

I made that hunt back in 2004 with Bekere Lake Outfitters. I don't have the contact info handy, but I could find it if you would want it.

It was a combo hunt with 2 caribou. There were 3 other caribou hunters in the camp. I shot the two smallest caribou, but one of my bou and the musk ox both officially exceeded the B&C book minimums.

NRA Endowment Life Member

Posts: 1635 | Location: Boz Angeles, MT | Registered: 14 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Stunning! and BIG caribou too tu2

Posts: 2141 | Location: enjoying my freedom in wyoming | Registered: 13 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of george roof
posted Hide Post
Here's an August animal[URL=[IMG]http://i170.photobucket.com/albums/u260/GeoRoof/

RETIRED Taxidermist

Posts: 827 | Location: Magnolia Delaware | Registered: 02 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of george roof
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by george roof:
Here's an August animal[URL=[IMG]http://i170.photobucket.com/albums/u260/GeoRoof/

RETIRED Taxidermist

Posts: 827 | Location: Magnolia Delaware | Registered: 02 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of george roof
posted Hide Post
Here's an August animal

RETIRED Taxidermist