New
Find
Notify
Tools

Fixing a Zebra mount...
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I just went over this years shipment from RSA with the taxidermist this weekend and while I was there checked out my half completed Zebra mount from the previous year. I was quite suprised that it was not in the post it was supposed to be. It was supposed to be a pedestal mount which it is, but it was also supposed to be in a post like a "knight" chess piece looking straight forward with the chin tilted way down and the neck arched.

Now that I see it is not even near what I requested, is there anything that can be done about it????

If nothing what type of retribution should there be?

Thanks

-

Posts: 543 | Location: Belmont, MI | Registered: 19 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
IMHO, the mount looks good. I think it is as close to what you wanted without looking unnatural. I don't think that a "chess piece" would look natural at all. Taxidermists are artists, and you gotta give them a little artistic freedom. They aren't 'Larry' who rotates your tires(no disrepect to those who do rotate tires [Wink] )

Regards- Gib

Posts: 130 | Location: Fresno, CA - again | Registered: 13 May 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of jds
posted Hide Post
Howdy!

The position you wanted used to be available in a mannikin that was sold by a taxidermy supply company called Precision Mannikins in Houston, Texas. They were bought out awhile back by a taxidermy supply giant called McKenzie Supply.

I just checked the McKenzie catalogue and don't see that it is offered any longer.

Your taxidermist should still have been able to alter another form to match what you wanted, but since the mannikin is no longer available, he would have charged you for a custom position. . . . . and that can get pretty expensive because of all the extra time needed to alter it.

Your mount looks pretty good!

JDS

Posts: 655 | Location: Burleson, Texas | Registered: 04 March 2002Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
I agree with the first comment about your zebra, the chess piece mount is unnatural. Stick with what has been done already, except for the dust, it looks good!!

Regards,
Roland

Posts: 4 | Location: South Africa | Registered: 18 November 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of DennisHP
posted Hide Post
Whether it is "unnatural" or not is irrelevant. He asked for and is paying for what he wants not what the taxidermist thinks he needs. I'd be pissed and get another taxidermist.

Posts: 3931 | Location: Oregon | Registered: 27 September 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of TXPO
posted Hide Post
I agree with DennisHP! The man asked for a certain pose and received something different. Not sure if it can be fixed other than by going back and shooting another zebra though.

Posts: 700 | Location: Wallis, Texas | Registered: 14 October 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Jerry Huffaker
posted Hide Post
At this stage the zebra can still be re-mounted. If it's not what you wanted make him take it apart and mount it the way you ordered it.

Posts: 2007 | Registered: 27 February 2002Reply With Quote