THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM TAXIDERMY FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  Taxidermy    Help! Daughter wants us to tan the deerskin ourselves!

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Help! Daughter wants us to tan the deerskin ourselves!
 Login/Join

Picture of Mark
posted
My daughter helped me skin and butcher this deer, and wants us to tan the hide so she can make something from the leather and I would like the opinions of you more experienced members as to the best way to proceed from where we are at right now.

For starters, the deer has been hanging for almost a week in 45F temps, so we just got the skin off and all the meat made up and in the freezer. The fur does not seem to be slipping, and she has indicated that she'd like the fur left on if it works out.

Anyway, she is 11 and worked right alongside me from start to finish on the butchering and I'd like us to continue doing so with the hide, so the process here is more important than a piece of leather that I could buy for a few dollars already tanned and soft.

Soooo.... What should I do next? I've done a little research and the "Lutan F" kit from Van Dykes seems to get good recommendations, but I'd have to order it and wait for it to be delivered, so would salt and alum be better at this point? The hide has been fleshed but I haven't either salted or frozen it yet, I'll do one or the other this afternoon depending on what is suggested.

Apologies for the disorganization and lack of preparation on my part, I should have guessed that my daughter would have wanted to do this from the beginning and I should have gotten things more prepared to start with but that's life sometimes!

Thanks,

Mark

for every hour in front of the computer you should have 3 hours outside

Posts: 7763 | Location: Between 2 rivers, Middle USA | Registered: 19 August 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Jerry Huffaker
posted Hide Post
Freeze it green , no salt or alum. Order your tanning kit from WASCO or Van Dykes and follow the directions.

Jerry Huffaker
State, National and World Champion Taxidermist

Posts: 2009 | Registered: 27 February 2002Reply With Quote

Picture of Mark
posted Hide Post
Great, I'll do that.

Thanks Jerry!

for every hour in front of the computer you should have 3 hours outside

Posts: 7763 | Location: Between 2 rivers, Middle USA | Registered: 19 August 2000Reply With Quote