Find
Notify
Tools

Elephant Ivory Cracking
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of SBT
posted
I live in western Wyoming where there is very little humidity. I have had two hippo ivories crack and just now noticed that one of my unmounted elephant ivories has developed a crack and chipped at the lower end. Is there something I can rub into the ivory to prevent damage?

"There are worse memorials to a life well-lived than a pair of elephant tusks." Robert Ruark

Posts: 4780 | Location: Story, WY / San Carlos, Sonora, MX | Registered: 29 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Aspen Hill Adventures
posted Hide Post
I'm sure the pro's will have some good advice, perhaps better than what I do.

I rub a thinned mixture of Elmer's Glue on teeth for the various skulls in my collection. I thin it with water, smear it on covering the whole tooth. It dries clear. I don't know how well this would work with something as big as an elephant tusk.

~Ann

Posts: 19225 | Location: The LOST Nation | Registered: 27 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of JBrown
posted Hide Post
Glycerin

Jason

"You're not hard-core, unless you live hard-core."

Hunting in Africa is an adventure. The number of variables involved preclude the possibility of a perfect hunt. Some problems will arise. How you decide to handle them will determine how much you enjoy your hunt.

Just tell yourself, "it's all part of the adventure." Remember, if Robert Ruark had gotten upset every time problems with Harry
Selby's flat bed truck delayed the safari, Horn of the Hunter would have read like an indictment of Selby. But Ruark rolled with the punches, poured some gin, and enjoyed the adventure.

-Jason Brown

Posts: 6836 | Location: Nome, Alaska(formerly SW Wyoming) | Registered: 22 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of SBT
posted Hide Post
Ann, that sounds great for smaller teeth, but I'd hate to have the ivory covered in glue.

JBrown, do you use 100% glycerin or diluted with something?

"There are worse memorials to a life well-lived than a pair of elephant tusks." Robert Ruark

Posts: 4780 | Location: Story, WY / San Carlos, Sonora, MX | Registered: 29 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of The Artistry of Wildlife
posted Hide Post
Scott you have a PM

Posts: 657 | Location: Michigan | Registered: 03 August 2010Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Dennis not to put you on the spot buddy but I think there are a lot of us that would like to know how to prevent it. Fixing it after the fact? That is for the pros!

Happiness is a warm gun

Posts: 4106 | Location: USA | Registered: 06 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of BaxterB
posted Hide Post
I've heard of people using mineral oil for smaller pieces. Call the guys at Boone trading co. They deal a lot with ivory.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Go to paleobond.com If this stuff is good enough for fossils and fossilized ivory, it ought to work like a charm. My buddy put it on his hippo tusks and was very pleased.

Posts: 67 | Location: Idaho | Registered: 11 October 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Todd Williams
posted Hide Post
I was instructed to use bees wax on mine. That's what I've been using for the past year.

one of us
Picture of SBT
posted Hide Post
FYI, this is the reply I got from Paleo Bond:

Dear Scott,

The tusks sound beautiful and you most certainly would want to preserve them gently! Bill Mason, the owner of Paleo Bond and 'mad scientist' behind the products suggests the following:

PB-002 Penetrant and Stabilizer to penetrate into the vascular system of the tusk. It will fill the micro cracks and strengthen the entire piece.

Step 1: Make sure tusk is clean and dry. Try using a green 3M scrub pad to lightly clean the surface and then wipe clean.

Step 2: While working on a clean, lint free surface - work in sections and place the P & S in very small amounts along the surface drop by drop. DO NOT BRUSH OR WIPE ON....it will just stick to the bristles or cloth!! A small piece of cardboard can be used to push the P & S along the surface, but always keep it moving. Allow the tusk to absorb as much as it can. You will know when it is 'full' when the tusk will no longer absorb the liquid, very much like a sponge that goes from dry to wet.

Step 3: Spray surface with PB-304 Activator and allow tusk to cure for about 30 minutes. The surface may look a bit cloudy at this point.

Step 4: Use your 3M scrub pad to go over the tusk and lightly sand any excess or drips. Add more P & S if needed and repeat activator and cure.

Step 5: Take an absorbent paper towel (I like Bounty) with straight Acetone on it and gently wipe the surface of the tusk. This will remove small amounts of excess and a micron's worth of the Penetrant below the surface. Buff to your desired finish with a soft cloth.

Please do not hesitate to contact Bill via his cell phone at 612-840-7139 should you have further questions or need help during the process.

Best Regards,

Kristen
Paleo Bond Customer Service

One of Us
Picture of twoseventy
posted Hide Post
Scot, I would put some of that preserver in the nerve cavity also. You won't have a concern with finish or luster in there so you can just swab some in there.

Tom

...I say that hunters go into Paradise when they die, and live in this world more joyfully than any other men.
-Edward, duke of York

". . . when a man has shot an elephant his life is full." ~John Alfred Jordan

"The budget should be balanced, the Treasury should be refilled, public debt should be reduced, the arrogance of officialdom should be tempered and controlled, and the assistance to foreign lands should be curtailed lest Rome become bankrupt. People must again learn to work, instead of living on public assistance." Cicero - 55 BC

"The smallest minority on earth is the individual. Those who deny individual rights cannot claim to be defenders of minorities." - Ayn Rand

Cogito ergo venor- KPete

“It is not from the benevolence of the butcher, the brewer, or the baker, that we expect our dinner, but from their regard to their own self-interest. We address ourselves, not to their humanity but to their self-love, and never talk to them of our own necessities but of their advantages.”
― Adam Smith - “Wealth of Nations”

Posts: 985 | Location: Oregon | Registered: 12 June 2009Reply With Quote