Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

A good taxidermy
 Login/Join

posted
Hello, I am looking for a good taxidermy in north central Missouri? Sorry to be asking you all but my old taxidermy past away last spring. Here is my e-mail if u all know of any. thanks (clubine30@yahoo.com)

Posts: 22 | Location: north missouri | Registered: 17 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of george roof
posted Hide Post
Kris, you have tons of great taxidermists in your home state. I'm not familiar with the geography there as I've only been to Columbia and Kansas City. The NTA has a roster that I can give you a name if you'll give me the closest city or cities. Garland Lessley is a Cerified Taxidermist in Huntsville, Calley Morris is an Award of Excellence winner in Green Castle as is his brother Rick in Greentop. Shannon Oestertag is in Monet, Dave Pearson, CT, in St. Joe, Bruce Scheeter, CT, in Cape Girardeau,and Randy Scott, CT, Joplin.

RETIRED Taxidermist

Posts: 827 | Location: Magnolia Delaware | Registered: 02 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I am not from Mo but I find good taxidermists are a dime a dozen, but ones who produce good work in a timely fashion are as rare as hens teeth.

Posts: 5338 | Location: Bedford, Pa. USA | Registered: 23 February 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of george roof
posted Hide Post
Die, I AM a taxidermist and I don't find what you've stated to be true at all. I know some guys like ugly women and some pretty women marry ugly guys, but that don't mean everybody's pretty. Bucky Flowers has a sign in his shop:

YOU CAN GET IT CHEAP HERE

YOU CAN GET IT BACK FAST HERE

YOU GET IT DONE WELL HERE

PICK TWO!

RETIRED Taxidermist

Posts: 827 | Location: Magnolia Delaware | Registered: 02 December 2006Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
George Roof: I live in brookfield. Huntsville and columbia aint to far. DO u know of any in columbia that does a realy good work? I manly get waterfowl mounted. (i have a bobcat to get mounted at the moment) Is calley morris in huntsville phone number in the NTA roster? (or a web sit) Thanks for the reply

Posts: 22 | Location: north missouri | Registered: 17 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of george roof
posted Hide Post
NTA Life Member and NTA Certified Taxidermist Garland Lessley can be found at 234 Highway Jj in Huntsville. Give him a call at (660)277-4339. Make sure you tell him I told you to call. Then he'll ask you, "Who the hell is that?" LOL

RETIRED Taxidermist

posted Hide Post
George Roof:LOL Ok will do. If all goes right. I got to go by huntsville friday anywas. So i will stop by. thanks for the info

One of Us
posted Hide Post
George, I said nothing about price. I stand by what I said. Taxidermy is not rocket science. It should not take a good taxidermist more than 4-5 mos. after the customer delivers the cape etc.. If you can't meet that dead line your are lazy or have too much work and if you have too much work raise your prices to cull out the cheap skates who want something for nothing. That is the way I run my practice.

Posts: 5338 | Location: Bedford, Pa. USA | Registered: 23 February 2002Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
George Roof: I stoped by huntsville friday and just my luck he was closed lol. I'll be back by in a few weeks anywas so no biggy.

One of Us
Picture of Mead Taxidermy Studio
posted Hide Post
It should take 4-5 months from the time a cape gets dropped off until the mount is done?? What planet does that happen on??

I challenge you to name a tannery that turn around a hide in 4-5 months...

As for your "lazy" comment, I will just say you are very unfamiliar with the processes involved in producing quality taxidermy pieces.

Bob Mead
Mead Taxidermy Studio
Deming, NM

www.meadtaxidermystudio.com

Posts: 43 | Location: SW New Mexico | Registered: 19 September 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:

I challenge you to name a tannery that turn around a hide in 4-5 months...

The Wildlife Gallery INC in MI phone# 9895615369

Wildlife Taxidermy by Richard G. Santomauro
1732 Hgy #71
Wall NJ 07719
phone 732-449-5950
http://www.rgswildlifetaxidermy.com

One of Us
Picture of Mead Taxidermy Studio
posted Hide Post
Thanks, Richard bewildered. My point is that it takes longer than 4-5 months to get a mount out the door from the time it gets checked in, if you are doing quality work.

I don't know what your volume of work is or what your turn-around time is, although we have all seen your work through your postings on your first thread. What is YOUR turn around time?

I'll just leave it at this: I can't get a mount out of the door finished in less than 8 months, and usually more like 12. This does not indicate laziness or too much work or prices being too low, as the previous post might have one believe. I think 4-5 months is an unreasonable deadline, and don't know of 1 studio that can do it consistently.

Bob Mead
Mead Taxidermy Studio
Deming, NM

www.meadtaxidermystudio.com

Posts: 43 | Location: SW New Mexico | Registered: 19 September 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Jerry Huffaker
posted Hide Post
quote:
If you can't meet that dead line your are lazy or have too much work and if you have too much work raise your prices to cull out the cheap skates who want something for nothing.

This is where your missing the boat in the Taxidermy business, Price has nothing to do with volume in this business. I've been higher than all my local competiters for 21 yrs and I have always had the highest volume. If you do quality work high price doesn't weed out anyone, it just brings in more work. I won't even comment on the lazy comment, that's just plain stupid. You obviously don't have any idea what your talking about when it comes to the taxidermy business. What happens in your PRACTICE has nothing to do with what happens in a taxidermy studio, anyway I quit practicing a long time ago.

Jerry Huffaker
State, National and World Champion Taxidermist

Posts: 2009 | Registered: 27 February 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jerry Huffaker:
quote:
If you can't meet that dead line your are lazy or have too much work and if you have too much work raise your prices to cull out the cheap skates who want something for nothing.

This is where your missing the boat in the Taxidermy business, Price has nothing to do with volume in this business. I've been higher than all my local competiters for 21 yrs and I have always had the highest volume. If you do quality work high price doesn't weed out anyone, it just brings in more work. I won't even comment on the lazy comment, that's just plain stupid. You obviously don't have any idea what your talking about when it comes to the taxidermy business. What happens in your PRACTICE has nothing to do with what happens in a taxidermy studio, anyway I quit practicing a long time ago.

LOL Jerry You are correct!

--------------------------------------------

Safari Taxidermy by:John Baker
www.safaritaxidermy.com

Posts: 278 | Location: Corpus Christi, Texas , USA | Registered: 30 November 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Thanks, Richard . My point is that it takes longer than 4-5 months to get a mount out the door from the time it gets checked in, if you are doing quality work.

I don't know what your volume of work is or what your turn-around time is, although we have all seen your work through your postings on your first thread. What is YOUR turn around time?

I'll just leave it at this: I can't get a mount out of the door finished in less than 8 months, and usually more like 12. This does not indicate laziness or too much work or prices being too low, as the previous post might have one believe. I think 4-5 months is an unreasonable deadline, and don't know of 1 studio that can do it consistently.

Bob Mead
Mead Taxidermy Studio
Deming, NM

My turnaround time is between 9-12 months, and some times I will finish up a piece quicker. The volume of work that we receive is what dictates the length of time that the customer waits, but I do not want a customer to wait more that 12 months. I would hire more help when that happens. I think that my customers feel that the turnaround time is a bigger feature than the price, as long as the quaility is there.

Wildlife Taxidermy by Richard G. Santomauro
1732 Hgy #71
Wall NJ 07719
phone 732-449-5950
http://www.rgswildlifetaxidermy.com