THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM TAXIDERMY FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  Taxidermy    Do mounts still use the actual teeth and jaws?

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Do mounts still use the actual teeth and jaws?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I know that modern taxidermy uses plastic forms and the actual skin and hair of the animal but what about the teeth and jaws?

Specifically on a mount of a bear or boar, I know that when the mount is done I will still have the actual skull but will the jaws and teeth/tusks/ be with the skull or in the mount?

Stupid question, I had to ask though.

Thanks, Rob

Posts: 1681 | Location: East Coast | Registered: 06 January 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The skulls are not used and rarely are the teeth. A real good taxidermist will use replica teeth/fangs and you will not know the difference. The originals will crack and yellow the time.

Posts: 10266 | Location: Texas... time to secede!! | Registered: 12 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
So I can have a skull mount and a full mount?

Thanks Dogcat.

Posts: 1681 | Location: East Coast | Registered: 06 January 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yes you can!!! Aint life grand!!! I always think thats one of the free rides in life.

the chef

one of us
Picture of shehuntz
posted Hide Post
Here in Australia I mention the word...'replica jawset' and hunters go elsewhere.
This is only for boars.
I can explain the reasons why i prefer too use and why they 'should' use jawsets till i'm blue in the face but in the end the hunter will go elsewhere and i loose income.
IMHO, you can pick the difference.

I now charge more to use the real jaw & tusks on boars.

I dont think it makes me a bad taxidermist because i do as i am asked. (and paid for)

Animal Art Taxidermy.

Posts: 227 | Location: Australia. | Registered: 23 March 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Hughiam
posted Hide Post
Shehuntz is right on target, use repro tusks/teeth cause they will last longer. But if the client wants the real tusk charge extra, I charge $100.00 as I have to maserate the skull, pull the tusks with epoxy, alter the jawset etc to make it work for them.

Hugh

Pro Staff for:
In Natures Image Taxidermy

Posts: 448 | Location: Palmer, AK | Registered: 17 August 2005Reply With Quote