Find
Notify
Tools

Sage Grouse mounts?
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of D99
posted
Anyone have any sage grouse mounts they want to show?

Posts: 4729 | Location: Australia | Registered: 06 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have one I shot last year in MT at the taxidermist right now.. I'll be sure and post a pic for ya when he's done.. big ol' sage bomber. I figured that I'd better get one mounted before they list them, never to be sport hunted again.. trust me, it's coming.

Posts: 2163 | Registered: 13 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of D99
posted Hide Post
We have similar thoughts.

As they are our largest bird after the turkey, and some of them are as big as turkeys it makes them our own Caper of the West.

I need to get home and get some up to Patrick Rummans before they list the little bastards.

You know what's really crazy is there were tons of them last time I was home in the fall. I just decided I didn't want to shoot one, as I didn't want to eat it, and wasn't ready to send Pat $1200 for a pair of them.

Posts: 4729 | Location: Australia | Registered: 06 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of george roof
posted Hide Post
Well, I'd hope you HARVEST them. That means that you utilize them. KILLING them is too close to MURDERING them as Ingrid Newkirk of PETA advertises that you really do anyway. Perhaps in 250,000 years we should be smarter than the caveman and accept that 80% of Americans don't hunt. Of that 80%, 60% of them have no opinion, either bad or good, about hunting. That means that our piddly 20% who love to hunt are dependant on that 60% to keep hunting in a favorable light. You might think it's "politically correct" but none of us can afford for it to be politically WRONG.

RETIRED Taxidermist

Posts: 827 | Location: Magnolia Delaware | Registered: 02 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of madabula
posted Hide Post
I did several many years back and will look around for some photos to scan and post. They look good running underfoot in a life-size antelope mount.

Meanwhile on the new direction in this thread; I believe "Political Correctness" generally is relative to the context or atmosphere in which it is presented and as such I would think in a hunters forum; it is every bit as appropriate to proclaim the merits of the term "killing in context to our human evolution" as it might be to "lay out the statistical data regarding our diminished ranks" especially if the later is a criticism of someone’s by line which is generally accepted as a "personal view".

Sorry to add to the distraction of a thread!

Best regards
Mike O

Posts: 290 | Location: louisville ky | Registered: 11 May 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of D99
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by george roof:
Well, I'd hope you HARVEST them. That means that you utilize them. KILLING them is too close to MURDERING them as Ingrid Newkirk of PETA advertises that you really do anyway. Perhaps in 250,000 years we should be smarter than the caveman and accept that 80% of Americans don't hunt. Of that 80%, 60% of them have no opinion, either bad or good, about hunting. That means that our piddly 20% who love to hunt are dependant on that 60% to keep hunting in a favorable light. You might think it's "politically correct" but none of us can afford for it to be politically WRONG.

Glad to see your still a fucking idiot, and thanks for hijacking the thread. I am guessing that you think your pandering to the PETA folks is a good idea. Kind of like how great Americans like George Washington pandered to the British so they would give us a country.

We won't get anything we don't take fromt those asshole animal rights fanatics, and the more we try to appease them the more they will take. Kind of like the gun control folks, if we give them our pistols and semi-autos, we will be giving them our single shots next.

I see you also know know about statistics, the only statistic that matters is that sportsmen pay for 90% of wildlife conservation. Try and remember that and your next pandering party you appologetic asshole.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I saw a spectacular sage grouse mount, in full strut, at Cape Horn Taxidermy in Whitehall, MT a few years ago. It was for sale. Wish I'd bought it. I stopped in there recently to ask if they might sometime offer another. No luck. If you have such a bird, I'd recommend Cape Horn. The one I saw was in a very nice glass case.

Posts: 2827 | Location: Seattle, in the other Washington | Registered: 26 April 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of D99
posted Hide Post
I'll take a look at this stuff, I was thinking of having Patrick Rummans do it, as he is the best bird taxidermist in the world. And all he does is birds.